DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   differentiated thought before cutting metal (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/259467-differentiated-thought-before-cutting-metal.html)

Larry Jaques September 6th 08 06:14 AM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 05:21:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Eregon
Eregon@Saphira.ørg quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
:

On one of my recent posts, you kind people pointed out that there are
many ways of doing something. Simple observations are often the most
profound. I'm not a master at being able to see a problem from
different angles and visualize different solutions. It seems that
some parts of one idea affect another so the ideas are not
independent, not "clean" and compartmentalized. I met with my guys
today and discussed if we could figure out how to think about
different ways of doing things we are developing. I want multiple
solutions presented and thinking out of the box. It seems there is
always a brute-force method of doing something yet the "other" idea,
the one that springs into existence at the odd hour, is often better,
cheaper and more elegant. How do you attract those "other" ideas?

Don't even try to force them: they'll either come on their own or they
won't come at all.

Amen to that. Whenever I try to force invention it always eludes me.
The second I let it go and start to really focus on something else, it
comes along. That kind of crap screws up vacation days some thing
fierce. g

Keep a tape/digital voice recorder handy so that when the idea -does- come
you can make a record of it that you can refer back to.

BTDT. You'll keep it with you only if you hang it from a strap around
your neck. Otherwise, it's never where you are.

A pad of quadrille (graph) paper and something to write/draw with is
another good thing to have at hand.

Staples has dozen-packs of legal pads for $5.99 or a dozen 5x8" pads
for $4.49. I keep a pack of each strewn all aroudn the house, shop,
and vehicle. I write down ideas wherever I come across them.

Is there a method or exercises to develop creative thinking? Cutting
metal and drilling holes is the easy part, how do you completely
forget an idea in order to "see" a new idea? This may come easily for
an intelligent person but I struggle with my mental limitations.

Take time to play "What If" in your head: What if we could extrude our own
wire - could we feed it directly into a machine while it was still hot and,
if so, could the cutter do double duty as a "pinch" feeder?"

Things like that.

Ditto getting a pad and drawing/doodling. Alternatively, get on a
computer with a copy of CAD, CAM, or SketchUp and draw it to scale.

--
Who is wise? He that learns from every One.
Who is powerful? He that governs his Passions.

Tom Gardner[_3_] September 6th 08 06:30 AM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
This is really TWO subjects: 1.) How do you think of good ideas? 2.)
How do you encourage creative thinking in others? The second one has
been
well addressed by most of you. The first is more difficult. Some
people
spontneously bring various viewpoints to the problem, and automatically
go
into a "what if" mode when somethingt needs to be done. These same
people
go into a "what if" mode when they see something being done in the same
old way. I think this is a talent, not easily taught.

The mind keeps working on a problem even when you are not aware of
it--even in your sleep. If you are not satisfied with the answer you
have, don't be in a rush. An inspiration may jump into your mind when
you
least expect it. And then you'll say, "Why didn't I think of that in
the
first place?"

We had been trying to come up with a way of producing "ring and flange"
wire
wheel brushes for over 30 years, that includes my uncles who were
geniuses
in their own rights. One afternoon in Canada, while fishing in a small
boat
in a torrential downpour. I was snug in my Gor-Tex and I couldn't see my
buddy that was five feet away, never before or since have I seen it rain
that hard. For some reason, the method of making those brushes popped
into
my head in absolute clarity. The machine is so simple and robust, and it
was inexpensive to build. Why didn't I think of that in the first place?

The time wasn't right. You had to learn enough about the process for
it to become crystal clear in your mind. :)

Everything looks simple, when you know what you're doing! ;-)

You're right! After 36 years in this stupid, tiny industry, I guess enough
has sunk in that I pretend I know what I'm doing and I guess I've become an
adequate brushmaker.

Denis G. September 6th 08 06:30 AM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

Great topic, Tom. I’ve enjoyed reading the comments that it
generated. Here are mine:

Group problem-solving methods (structured methods):
Brainstorming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstorming
CPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativ...olving_Process
(Unfortunately the wikipedia entry probably needs some good editing.
It should define “brainstorming before discussing potential
deficiencies.) Brainstorming is primarily a group activity, although
the wiki article does include a variation for individual
brainstorming. As others may have mentioned, these brainstorming
methods usually come and go in fashion, both in colleges and in
companies. Although I haven’t seen brainstorming used consistently,
it probably has value in getting people together to talk and think
about what they’ve seen. Potential pitfalls of group brainstorming
include:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_blocking ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_loafing
There are other structured problem-solving methods used in quality
control, but they’re usually more statistical and for larger more-
structured companies. Not the breakthrough idea generation-type.

Problem-solving with individuals:
As others in this thread have suggested, methods of managing employees
(delegation) can help in solving problems.
I read an article (a long while back) in the Nov/Dec. 1990 issue of
Harvard Business Review by (the late) Ralph Stayer and really was
impressed how he managed his company (Johnsonville Sausage). I think
that I would have enjoyed working for someone like him.
They only show part of the article here (they want you to purchase
it), but it (or recent revisions) might be available through a local
library.
http://www.harvardbusiness.com/hbsp/...pageNumber =1
or
http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.ha... &N=4294963821
(I read his book Flight of the Buffalo, but it wasn’t as much of a gem
as the HBR article.)

Don Foreman September 6th 08 06:58 AM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:36:54 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

How do I know this? I ran a skunk works for 15 years. I picked up
talent off the layoff list, people that were regarded as
"unmanagable".

Cool! You've got to tell us more stories about this - unless
this is the kind of skunk works where you'd have to kill us
after telling us.

Jon

Had one project where the customer wanted a weekly teleconference in
which we would "go over" a project plan in Microsoft Project in
excruciating detail.

Our team M.O. was to meet as often as necessary and as briefly as
necessary, often 10 minutes. Our "project plan" was on a whiteboard.
**** happens every day on a project with very aggressive schedule and
budget. The goals, mission, specs and deliverables were graven in
stone very early -- we wouldn't start work until they were -- but we
would not accept process constraints about how to get it done.

I asked Khanh my admin asst (some thought she was a secretary) to go
find a copy of MS Project, learn to use it, and make up a plausible
project plan from the white board. It could be a complete fabrication
as long as it was plausible.

"No probrem!" Took her about a day to figure out M.S. Project from a
cold start. She then made something up I sent to the customer's
micromanaging twit. He was delighted with it! We reviewed the crap
out of it every Monday morning by telecon while my team was free to
keep solving the problem. Khanh maintained the bogus plan between
telecons, thus doing the job of several engineers and at least one
manager in the customary corporate mindset. Took her about an hour a
week.

------

The leased building we were in was sadly underdesigned in terms of air
conditioning capacity for the instruments and computers in our lab.
I'd been bitching to the controller for weeks about it, got the usual
"he'd look into that". He, of course, did nothing because he'd built
a career on letting things become crisis and then being seen as the
savior by minimizing damage. No glory in avoiding crises in the first
place.

Two things that did get the controller's attention we
1) the burden rate
2) his precious image with the V.P.

Fixing the A/C would cost a burden buck. I needed to find a way to
make fixing the A/C more attractive to him than not fixing it.

One July day it was over 90 in the lab by 10 AM. Enough already. I
told my teammates that they were free to take the rest of the day off
and charge burden, write "unhealthy working conditions" on their
timecards and take their kids to a ball game or go fishing or
whatever. I then went to Grainger and bought 2 powerful fans, 3600
CFM each I think. ( Charged them to burden, of course.) I opened the
fire door to admit fresh outside air and aimed the fans down the hall
toward mahogany row. The fans sounded like a DC-3 trying to take off
and oh Son did they move some air!

Within 20 minutes the temp in the V.P's office had become untenable to
him, poor baby. He came stalking into my area, said "Foreman, what
the HELL is going on here ... and where are all your people?"

Wull, I politely 'splained it to him, since he asked and all. Dang
nice of him to ask, right?

He looked ready to explode ... and then he started laughing and went
back toward Mahoganyville shaking his head.

The controller miraculously got an HVAC contractor on the job within
an hour and the problem was solved before sundown. Whaddaguy. Funny
how things work some days...

The controller did not nominate me for poster boy of the year. Go
figure.

RAM³ September 6th 08 08:47 AM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

"Tom Gardner" wrote in news:Ny3wk.240$Z64.18
@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com:

Distraction, un-direction, mind clearing
Breakdown
Visualization
Top-down/bottom-up
Simplification
Delegation

You understand exactly what I'm trying to say!

BTDT! grin

Larry Jaques September 6th 08 01:42 PM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:30:15 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

I don't think that can be either taught or learned, it is one of those
things that some have and others don't.

I disagree to some extent, Lew. (Can you handle that capital in your
name, dude? ;)

I think everyone is both psychic and creative, but most have simply
had this muffled, usually during their schooling, where "everyone has
to fit in." Peers who have had the same stifling upbringing are also
now born and bred quenchers of ideas, either by social code or by ego.
(If I'm not allowed to think it, you aren't, either!)

But most creative people can't do so under stresses like time limits
or strict performance requirements. True creativity is a fleeting
thing, and even a slight nudge or restriction can knock it out of
kilter. The subconscious mind continues working on problems while we
do other things. That's why so many ideas come to us after we have
given up on them and moved to other tasks.

Self-confidence works wonders on creativity, but it has to be earned
by the mind needing it, not given by someone else. Encouragement
helps, like Pete said (+ removing your ego from their project), but
it's the mind doing the work which needs to process things.

As to learning creativity, I think that's merely uncovering the
muffler society has put on us, then unraveling it to get to our own
kernel of truth and wonder.

Michael A. Terrell September 6th 08 05:42 PM

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The time wasn't right. You had to learn enough about the process for
it to become crystal clear in your mind. :)

Everything looks simple, when you know what you're doing! ;-)

You're right! After 36 years in this stupid, tiny industry, I guess enough
has sunk in that I pretend I know what I'm doing and I guess I've become an
adequate brushmaker.

More than adequate. You are still in business, and most of the other
guys are long gone. It's still a matter of timing. when that final
detail becomes clear, and things all come together.

Don't sell yourself short. You are in a business with a traditional
manufacturing process, where change comes slow. If you had spare
machines you could experiment with new ideas, but most companies
wouldn't even allow a scaled down prototype, or to test an idea on an
existing machine. My dad worked 25 years in the corrugated box industry
in Ohio. Some of the machines were over 100 years old. They had a staff
of machinists to make replacement parts, to keep them running. They
didn't consider modernizing, until customers wanted bigger, one piece
boxes. They gambled over a million dollars on a new machine, and it
took a couple years to get it to full production. Then they started
updating their other plants.

It's the same in your business. It's fun to design new machines and
test new ideas, but it can't get in the way of day to day production.

Have you ever considered an online store for small orders? Even an
Ebay or Yahoo store would help get the word out to people who have no
clue that an American made brush was still available. BTW, you need to
update the copyright date on your website. Some people consider a site
abandoned when it is eight years out of date, and it could cost you some
sales. Also, your page counter software from Bravenet is displaying an
error message. I know they are minor details, but you want to keep up
your image of top quality.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Joseph Gwinn September 6th 08 06:07 PM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

In article
,
wrote:

On Sep 5, 4:31 pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

In my last position as a supervisor we would hold a monthly meeting with
the corporate folks. That was the typical "We need to think outside the
box" type meeting. Complete with PowerPoint profit and loss charts and
the standard "We MUST increase productivity". What got done NOTHING.

The REAL idea meetings were the ones most of the supervisors would have
within our own folks. Those were the ones where we would bring in pizza
and arrange for service coverage with other folks so everyone could come
in. Then they were told that anything goes. No formal records were kept,
unless it was an idea that actually seemed like it would work. I was
also a big fan of "Just DO it" IOW if you came up with something that
worked and made life easier spread it around.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Steve:

Good ideas and cost saving measures from the rank-and-file? NEVER!!
Perish that thought!!

In my experience by far the biggest cost-saving ideas and improvement
suggestions came from first-line supervisory staff. In well-managed
corporations these folks really know what they are doing.

In the old days my Father worked at RCA, back before RCA became a joke,
back when RCA was making parts of the would become the Lunar Lander. I
worked at RCA as a summer employee. This was the mid 1960s.

The problem was that if a cordwood module somewhere in the middle of
the coldplate failed, one had to remove all the good modules from one
edge inward to the module, so one could get a hot knife under the bad
module. Very expensive, and broke a lot of perfectly good modules.

Then, one of the hourly people came up with a better way: Put a hook
(made of a paperclip) under one corner of the bad module, with a rubber
band to something nearby, put the whole thing in the 180 F oven, and go
have a coffee. When you came back, the module was dangling in the air,
undamaged, with no collateral damage. This worked because the urethane
adhesive attaching module to coldplate was prone to creep, especially
when nice and warm.

It was amazing how many reasons it wouldn't work Engineering came up
with. You know the drill - a few months later, someone in Engineering
would come up with a variant, and collect the bonus.

I pushed my Father, and after some effort he refuted the reasons, and
the true inventor did get the bonus.

Afterwards, it was amazing how fast my Father's work orders got through
the shop.

Joe Gwinn

Jedd Haas September 6th 08 07:41 PM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Developing creativity can be done in many ways. You could divide your
"creativity program" into two parts: immediate plans and long-term
strategies.

Some of the immediate things that can be done have been suggested by
others, for example, having notebooks on hand at all times; writing down
your ideas; thinking about the problem "in the background" or overnight;
and using the "tail end" of a solution as the starting point for the
next iteration.

The long-term plan for developing creativity involves constant exposure
to new and stimulating ideas. How is this done? One way is to foster a
culture of constant learning among your employees. Do your people go
home and watch TV, or do they go home and read books? Something as
simple as a "reading club" whereby you acquire and lend to your
employees a constant stream of inspiring and creative books. Although
these books could be strictly about metalworking, you're likely to
achieve better results with a broad array of subjects. It might take
years for the full results to be seen, but constant stimulation like
this will almost certainly yield long-term results as you increase your
collective brainpower. Of course, you'll have to figure out a way for
your employees to "buy in" on this idea and devote the time to improving
their brains. Find a way to make it fun and rewarding.

Another thing you can do to help "see" new ideas is for everyone to take
drawing classes. Learning to see something, and then accurately
reproduce it on paper, is a skill of tremendous value. Ultimately you
learn to "see" in your mind's eye, and it becomes much easier to
transfer your ideas to paper.

As you work on these strategies for developing creativity, document the
"great ideas" as they come up. For example, your "fishing inspiration"
story you mentioned later on in the thread. Each time someone comes up
with a great idea, write down the story of the birth of that idea.
Ultimately, you'll have a book of these stories which will serve as
inspiration and "institutional knowledge" for new members of your team.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

Tom Gardner[_3_] September 7th 08 02:39 AM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

"Jedd Haas" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Interesting chords you have struck! My first degree is in fine arts and
I've always thought mechanisms were art. I "see" shafts and bearings and
gears and such do things. Then it's easy to draw it up and make it. It's
an extension of my art days. My team does the same thing. We DO have a lot
of enjoyment. One of the guys, Roger, stays up late at night like I do and
we call each other at 2:00 AM when we get an idea about what we are working
on.

Thanks for responding with such good thoughts!

steamer September 11th 08 06:34 PM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

--Coming late to the party but check out a book titled "Conceptual
Blockbusting" from Stanford University Press. Very much up this alley..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're passing
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : through the moronosphere!"

[email protected] September 11th 08 09:22 PM

differentiated thought before cutting metal

On Sep 6, 9:39 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
"Jedd Haas" wrote in message

In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Tom,

That's why we talk about the "Art of Engineering"!

Engineering is by no means a science, but is the art of applying
scientific principles to real-world problems. To do this at an
economical cost requires experience, judgment, and ability.

I believe one requirement towards success in this field is the ability
to think in pictures.

'Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad
judgment".

Wolfgang