Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- taxing the "fuel" on an electric car?

Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bud Bud is offline

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:20:30 -0700 (PDT), patrick
wrote:

Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

They will tax per mile traveled, or km as the case may be.
The GPS device in each car will be the tattletale for the govt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"patrick" wrote in message
Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

I trust they will find a way. New taxes on car parts or electricity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

patrick wrote:
Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

They'll probably have a "road tax". That is, you'll pay a certain
amount per year for so many miles. Go over that and they hit you with a
penalty. You know the government isn't going to let ANY possible tax
slide by.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote: They'll probably have a "road tax". That is, you'll
pay a certain
amount per year for so many miles. Go over that and they hit you with a
penalty. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cars have odometers. It wouldn't be difficult to calculate a tax based on
miles driven. Another possibility would be to build it into the electric
meter where the car is charged. They already have plans to use time-of-use
meters, with preferential rates to encourage battgery charging during
off-peak hours.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know the government isn't going to let ANY possible tax
slide by.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You make it sound so ONIMOUS. Currently, gas taxes pay for the roads. If
the number of electric cars becomes significant, it is perfectly logical to
shift some of the cost to them. What would YOU suggest?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 04:13:23 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Jim Chandler" wrote: They'll probably have a "road tax". That is, you'll
pay a certain
amount per year for so many miles. Go over that and they hit you with a
penalty. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cars have odometers. It wouldn't be difficult to calculate a tax based on
miles driven. Another possibility would be to build it into the electric
meter where the car is charged. They already have plans to use time-of-use
meters, with preferential rates to encourage battgery charging during
off-peak hours.

I wonder how long it will be before we have a human rights case
involving these so called "smart meters" in that they give unfair
advantage to people living a "graveyard shift".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know the government isn't going to let ANY possible tax
slide by.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You make it sound so ONIMOUS. Currently, gas taxes pay for the roads. If
the number of electric cars becomes significant, it is perfectly logical to
shift some of the cost to them. What would YOU suggest?

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Electricity isn't free, or untaxed. The fuel used to make electricity for the car is taxed. Don't
worry too much about this. If everyone starts using electric cars, there won't be enough
electricity left for lighting. Oh! wait; we can burn all the surplus gasoline for lighting and
heat.

Bob (gimme a break) Swinney

"patrick" wrote in message
Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
patrick wrote:
Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

Tollroads. there are trying to turn all the existing freeways in the DFW
area into tollroads, plus the new ones being built.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:
[...]

I don't know what state you're in but if you think that gasoline taxes
pay for the roads, you're sadly mistaken. They are SUPPOSED to do so
but the politicians have a propensity for using them for other things,
at least in Californicate.

I said that government isn't going to miss an opportunity to tax
anything they can. Do you disagree. Granted things have to be paid for
but the constant tax, tax, tax of government, both parties, is becoming
a bit wearing, would you not agree?

What would I suggest? I would suggest that governments, from City Hall
to the White House start cutting some of the spending that they are
doing. EVERY governments entity has some useless spending somewhere.
How about lowering the cost of "management" for starters. Cut the perks
that these political buffoons seem to think they are worthy of and
deserve just because they were elected.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 10:20*pm, patrick wrote:
Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars *to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

IIRC when Diesel cars came out New Hampshire had the options of a
fixed weight-based fee added to the registration or a mileage tax. I
never had one but the Rabbit's fixed fee was quite low.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
news

"Jim Chandler" wrote: They'll probably have a "road tax".

Another possibility would be to build it into the electric meter where
the car is charged. They already have plans to use time-of-use meters,
with preferential rates to encourage battgery charging during off-peak
hours.

Looks like I'll have to build a wind generator to charge my electric
car. ;-)

You make it sound so ONIMOUS. Currently, gas taxes pay for the roads.
If the number of electric cars becomes significant, it is perfectly
logical to shift some of the cost to them. What would YOU suggest?

I pay taxes now and the roads aren't in that great a shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

patrick wrote:
Been looking at the # of companies that have invested in battery
makers and the talk of a company supposedly selling electric cars in
israel in large numbers. It looks like there's going to be electric
cars on the road faster than I thought they were going to be. How do
you think governments that rely on fuel taxes are going to tax
electric cars to make up for the shortfall. Just curious... Pat

Even right now, most if not all states have "road use" taxes.
If you buy retail motor fuel, the tax is built in. If you have
a vehicle that is powered by some other fuel (experimental
liquids, electric, 55-Gal drums of Diesel, or your own pump in
the back yard) you are supposed to pay road use tax by the mile.
You can get hit with big fines if you are intentionally avoiding
the taxes. This has all been in place for many years.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
patrick wrote:
[...]

Well said, Jon.

I met a guy while on vacation in Florida a few years back. I made my own
biodiesel for a year, so we were comparing notes. He had a small moving
company, and was bragging he hadn't bought any diesel in 9 months. We asked
about paying road taxes, and he said, that's the beauty, I'm not buying
fuel, so I don't have to.
We spent a few minutes explaining that a trucking company that didn't buy
fuel or contribute in any way would be discovered.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

I wonder how long it will be before we have a human rights case
involving these so called "smart meters" in that they give unfair
advantage to people living a "graveyard shift".

I get what you are saying but I think you have it turned around. The day shifters get to
charge at night, the turd shifters charge at the more expensive time of day.

WEs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon wrote:

I met a guy while on vacation in Florida a few years back. I made my own
biodiesel for a year, so we were comparing notes. He had a small moving
company, and was bragging he hadn't bought any diesel in 9 months. We asked
about paying road taxes, and he said, that's the beauty, I'm not buying
fuel, so I don't have to.
We spent a few minutes explaining that a trucking company that didn't buy
fuel or contribute in any way would be discovered.

Yikes! An individual would just be required to pay the taxes,
and could lose his license plates if he didn't. I'd expect a
commercial mover would get raked over the coals if he never went
out of state, and might wind up in the federal pen if he was
moving stuff interstate. Well, unless he carried barrels in the
back of the trucks I guess he would NOT be doing interstate
transport on biodiesel.

Jon