Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mobile solid state laser gun

Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

################################################## ####################

Boeing Awarded Contract to Continue Developing Mobile Laser Weapon

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 19, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been
awarded a U.S. Army contract valued at approximately $36 million to
continue developing a truck-mounted, high-energy laser weapon system
that will destroy rockets, artillery shells and mortar rounds.

Under the High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator (HEL TD) Phase II
contract, awarded Aug. 15, Boeing will complete the design of, then
build, test and evaluate, a rugged beam control system on a Heavy
Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck. Boeing also will develop the
system-engineering requirements for the entire HEL TD laser weapon
system. Boeing successfully completed the preliminary design of the
beam control system earlier this summer.

"This contract award is an important win for Boeing because it
supports a cornerstone of the Army's high-energy laser program," said
Scott Fancher, vice president and general manager of Boeing Missile
Defense Systems. "HEL TD will give warfighters a transformational
capability to counter the difficult threats posed by rockets,
artillery shells and mortar projectiles."

"Boeing spent the past year developing the preliminary design of the
HEL TD beam control system, and we appreciate the confidence the Army
has shown in our efforts by awarding us these contract options to
continue working on the program," said Gary Fitzmire, vice president
and program director of Boeing Directed Energy Systems.

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
solid-state laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles. The program will support the
transition to a full-fledged Army acquisition program.

Boeing leads the way in developing high-energy laser systems for a
variety of warfighter applications. These systems include the Airborne
Laser, the Advanced Tactical Laser, the Tactical Relay Mirror System
and Laser Avenger.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:05:49 -0500, Ignoramus15257
wrote:

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
solid-state laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles.

THAT is gonna take one powerful laser to punch a thick steel
projectile..and a damned fast recycling one

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
solid-state laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles.

THAT is gonna take one powerful laser to punch a thick steel
projectile..and a damned fast recycling one

Gunner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5T5yEMMiDs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_High_Energy_Laser

This is a chemical laser that can take out multiple mortar rounds in
flight. The nice thing about solid state lasers is that all you need is
enough electrical power to run them, as opposed to dealing with chemical
systems. And they can be ganged up to increase their power level much
easier than chemical lasers.

Btw, did you get a chance to look at the power hammer plans yet?
Todd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is the speed that kills.

All the laser has to do is scar it or heat a spot. The high speed
incoming will have drag coefficients and crash off target or explode.

I had the pleasure to watch one heck of a 6 gun unit that fired bursts
one after another - Gatling gun mode. The target was 1/2" steel and
it cut like butter as it passed through the stream of bursts.

This was a lab toy. Developed in the mid 70's.

I on a professional level consulted 4 years ago to a designer in a
project that needed 10 guns to fire all at the same time! Now that
is some punch. We supplied some IC's to a third party that was
approved by the GAO. Must have been a dark project.

An ICBM warhead needs only a BB to slam into it for a tumble or burnout.
That was proved a number of times and brought the Russians to the table.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
solid-state laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles.

THAT is gonna take one powerful laser to punch a thick steel
projectile..and a damned fast recycling one

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
solid-state laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles.

THAT is gonna take one powerful laser to punch a thick steel
projectile..and a damned fast recycling one

Gunner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5T5yEMMiDs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_High_Energy_Laser

This is a chemical laser that can take out multiple mortar rounds in
flight. The nice thing about solid state lasers is that all you need is
enough electrical power to run them, as opposed to dealing with chemical
systems. And they can be ganged up to increase their power level much
easier than chemical lasers.

Btw, did you get a chance to look at the power hammer plans yet?
Todd

Sure havent. Still up to my ass in alligators, but its in my Things to
Do list...

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:05:49 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus15257 quickly quoth:

Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

I want to know how many _satellite_ kills will happen as a result of
testing the lasers. Um, OOPS!

################################################# #####################

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-21, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:05:49 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus15257 quickly quoth:

Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

I want to know how many _satellite_ kills will happen as a result of
testing the lasers. Um, OOPS!

The idea sounds like fun, but do not forget that energy per square
inch is the inverse of the square of distance. Ie, if the gun can
develop so much power at the distance of 1/2 mile, it can only develop
1/160,000 that power, per square inch, at the distance of 200
miles. And that does not even cound scattering of light and
absorption by atmosphere.

Now, damaging planes, that's a lot more realistic.

I also wonder if the gun would work as well if the projectiles had
mirror finish.

Personally I think that it is a great technology.

On another note, I recall other research in the field of some sort of
psychotropic weapons, that could make enemy soldiers **** their pants
and flee the battlefield just due to those psychotropic effect. That's
a very humane way of winning wars, if it works out.

Maybe the Russians used something along these lines, against the
Georgians.

################################################ ######################

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 20, 8:51*pm, Ignoramus15257 ignoramus15...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-08-21, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:05:49 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus15257 quickly quoth:

Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

I want to know how many _satellite_ kills will happen as a result of
testing the lasers. *Um, OOPS!

The idea sounds like fun, but do not forget that energy per square
inch is the inverse of the square of distance. Ie, if the gun can
develop so much power at the distance of 1/2 mile, it can only develop
1/160,000 that power, per square inch, at the distance of 200
miles. And that does not even cound scattering of light and
absorption by atmosphere.

uhh, not quite!! The inverse square law applies to light radiating in
all directions, as if from a point source. A laser beam is highly
collimated and the energy per square inch is only subject to
scattering, absorption, and beam spread.

If for example, a 2mm beam spread to a 4mm diameter over some
distance, the energy per unit area would be reduced by a factor of 4
(plus whatever scattered or was absorbed). The distance over which
the spread occurs in immaterial. It could be a few inches or
thousands of miles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15257" wrote in message
Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

################################################## ####################

Boeing Awarded Contract to Continue Developing Mobile Laser Weapon

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 19, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been
awarded a U.S. Army contract valued at approximately $36 million to
continue developing a truck-mounted, high-energy laser weapon system
that will destroy rockets, artillery shells and mortar rounds.

what made you think this was solid state?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
solid-state laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles.

THAT is gonna take one powerful laser to punch a thick steel
projectile..and a damned fast recycling one

Gunner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5T5yEMMiDs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_High_Energy_Laser

If they use a HF laser what happens with the exhaust as the description
said it operated like a rocket engine, I would have though it would not
be a good thing to be near in operation judging from how dangerous
hydroflouric acid potentially is.
This is a chemical laser that can take out multiple mortar rounds in
flight. The nice thing about solid state lasers is that all you need is
enough electrical power to run them, as opposed to dealing with chemical
systems. And they can be ganged up to increase their power level much
easier than chemical lasers.

Btw, did you get a chance to look at the power hammer plans yet?
Todd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:

"Ignoramus15257" wrote in message
Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

################################################## ####################

Boeing Awarded Contract to Continue Developing Mobile Laser Weapon

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 19, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been
awarded a U.S. Army contract valued at approximately $36 million to
continue developing a truck-mounted, high-energy laser weapon system
that will destroy rockets, artillery shells and mortar rounds.

what made you think this was solid state?

I would assume from the fifth paragraph of the article which says:

The objective of the HEL TD program is to demonstrate that a mobile,
**solid-state** laser weapon system can effectively counter rocket,
artillery and mortar projectiles. The program will support the
transition to a full-fledged Army acquisition program.

(Reposted and emphasis added)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:51:27 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

On 2008-08-21, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:05:49 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus15257 quickly quoth:

Picture is here

http://lenta.ru/news/2008/08/20/heltd/

Story is here

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80819a_nr.html

If it could quickly shoot down fast moving things such as artillery
shells, I think that it will be very revolutionary.

I want to know how many _satellite_ kills will happen as a result of
testing the lasers. Um, OOPS!

The idea sounds like fun, but do not forget that energy per square
inch is the inverse of the square of distance. Ie, if the gun can
develop so much power at the distance of 1/2 mile, it can only develop
1/160,000 that power, per square inch, at the distance of 200
miles. And that does not even cound scattering of light and
absorption by atmosphere.

True, I hadn't thought that laser output diminished that rapidly, but
satellites and their instruments/solar panels are much more sensitive
than the normal target.

Now, damaging planes, that's a lot more realistic.

Yeah, especially when multiple rounds are being sought and a plane
enters their pattern search...

I also wonder if the gun would work as well if the projectiles had
mirror finish.

Good question. "Paint yer bullets white, boys. The laser can't touch
'em!" g

Personally I think that it is a great technology.

Ditto. Much more sane than wasting hundreds or thousands of
projectiles as the CIWS and other gatling guns do. (Although these are
much more fun to watch in action!) http://tinyurl.com/5oo3ux

On another note, I recall other research in the field of some sort of
psychotropic weapons, that could make enemy soldiers **** their pants
and flee the battlefield just due to those psychotropic effect. That's
a very humane way of winning wars, if it works out.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwww!

Maybe the Russians used something along these lines, against the
Georgians.

???

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.
-- Kin Hubbard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15257 wrote:

On another note, I recall other research in the field of some sort of
psychotropic weapons, that could make enemy soldiers **** their pants
and flee the battlefield just due to those psychotropic effect. That's
a very humane way of winning wars, if it works out.

Maybe the Russians used something along these lines, against the
Georgians.

The Isreali's deployed something called the "Skunk" to dispel rioters.

Had the Palestinians running and tearing their clothes off trying to get
away from the smell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,

On 2008-08-21, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

[...]

Laser beams *are* subject to the inverse square law, once one is well
away from the nearfield (from the emitting aperture face to say 5 or 10
times the emitting aperture diameter). The "beam waist" is where the
transition from nearfield to farfield happens.

Google on "gaussian beam". There is too much material available.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 22, 10:37*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article
,

On 2008-08-21, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

[...]

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

OK, but it is fair to note that the constant of proportionality is
very small for a well-collimated laser. As opposed to 1 for point
source incoherent light. It is more accurate to say "laser beams are
subject to **an** inverse square law", rather than **the** inverse
square law (constant of proportionality = 1) that applies to point-
sources.

On 2008-08-21, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

[...]

No, it's really *the* inverse square law. All forms of radiation follow
this; the effect is geometric. Lasers focus their energy into a narrow
beam, but that beam nonetheless spreads.

Think of this example. Starlight is almost parallel when it reaches us,
yet it is incoherent and most certainly follows the inverse square law.

Joe Gwinn

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:18:25 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Joseph Gwinn quickly quoth:

In article
,
Bob wrote:

OK, but it is fair to note that the constant of proportionality is
very small for a well-collimated laser. As opposed to 1 for point
source incoherent light. It is more accurate to say "laser beams are
subject to **an** inverse square law", rather than **the** inverse
square law (constant of proportionality = 1) that applies to point-
sources.

No, it's really *the* inverse square law. All forms of radiation follow
this; the effect is geometric. Lasers focus their energy into a narrow
beam, but that beam nonetheless spreads.

Think of this example. Starlight is almost parallel when it reaches us,
yet it is incoherent and most certainly follows the inverse square law.

Stars are just possibly a _wee_ bit farther than the vulnerable 200
mile (or 22,000, geo) satellite orbits we were discussing, Joe.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob wrote:

OK, but it is fair to note that the constant of proportionality is
very small for a well-collimated laser. As opposed to 1 for point
source incoherent light. It is more accurate to say "laser beams are
subject to **an** inverse square law", rather than **the** inverse
square law (constant of proportionality = 1) that applies to point-
sources.

No, it's really *the* inverse square law. All forms of radiation follow
this; the effect is geometric. Lasers focus their energy into a narrow
beam, but that beam nonetheless spreads.

Think of this example. Starlight is almost parallel when it reaches us,
yet it is incoherent and most certainly follows the inverse square law.

Stars are just possibly a _wee_ bit farther than the vulnerable 200
mile (or 22,000, geo) satellite orbits we were discussing, Joe.

True enough, but it butresses the point that just because the divergence
is low doesn't mean that inverse square doesn't apply. Close to the
laser, inverse square is not followed. Far away, it is followed. For
use as a weapon (versus an industrial tool), the behavoir far from the
laser is the key.

http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/aim/...ng/WriteUP.pdf

Radar systems work the same way, as do optical systems not involving
lasers.

The most striking example is a burning lens being used to focus
sunlight. In the region from the Sun to the lens, inverse square
applies. By contrast, in the region between lens and focal point,
inverse square law is *not* observed. However, far from that lens,
inverse square reasserts itself.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:18:25 -0400, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

No, it's really *the* inverse square law. All forms of radiation follow
this; the effect is geometric. Lasers focus their energy into a narrow
beam, but that beam nonetheless spreads.

Think of this example. Starlight is almost parallel when it reaches us,
yet it is incoherent and most certainly follows the inverse square law.

Joe Gwinn

Specifically it is the inverse square law as applied to a point source that is
1/tan (half the divergence angle) away.

This will be a very large distance for a well collimated beam, but will still
obey the inverse square law.

E&OE :-)
Mark Rand