Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Abiotic oil

"James" wrote:

Finally, some older oil wells previously regarded as depleted have been
known to be replenished from below. This is certainly evidence that oil
is being produced at depths in the earth (where there are no fossil
remains) and being pushed upward by intense pressure from below. The
best example of this is Green Island in the Gulf of Mexico. When all the
oil that could profitably be extracted had been pumped out, the wells
there were closed and forgotten about. Then, twenty years later, those
wells were found to contain more oil than before any had been removed!
If petroleum is constantly produced by an inorganic process, we are
never going to run out of oil.

Help me out with this. Adiotic sounds too good to be true. That usually is when I start
doubting a theory just on principle.

Water falls from the sky and is more dense than oil.

Oil tends to be found below water and is less dense.

On first thought, I'm wondering why my water well doesn't have an oil problem.

I guess the counter is that it takes a great deal of heat and pressure to make oil out of
formerly living carbon based life, animal or plant.

So are we saying that water never migrates lower faster than the build up of dead carbon
based lifeforms and stays on top?

Something isn't making sense here.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Water does have an oil problem in some places. Natural drips act like
a ship with an oil bunker dripping on the bottom.

It is common enough on a world wide basis.

Oil is thousands of feet deep into rock. It is typically in sand or
cobble. Not solid rock. And when lucky, you have a salt dome that
was washed out or hollow and the oil went there.

Exploring under water like in the gulf - remember it isn't all that deep
of water and all of the central states through Canada was under water
some years back.

Wells in the Gulf go thousands of feet and then hit the bottom.
Sometimes this is a slanted hole away from the central area - something
like an umbrella. It allows multiple wells and each well doesn't
slurp dry an area with a near one - and make for a low output section.

Some places the wells are regulated 1 mile apart. Other places the
pump limits space.

It is at those places and those inside towns that the Lufkin Industries
pump excels. It is about half the length of a 'normal' pump.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Wes wrote:
"James" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:21:54 -0400, Wes wrote:

"James" wrote:

[...]

In existing oil wells oil is found in areas where there is an
anticline or dome that contains it and prevents its migration.

A normal formation consists of the impermeable containment layer
followed, in descending order by, possibly an unassociated gas bearing
zone followed by an oil bearing zone followed by a water bearing zone.

Bottom hole pressure will usually approximate the water head at that
depth (about 433 PSI/1,000 ft.) but may be higher or lower depending
on various down hole conditions.

So, yes, oil is lighter then water and floats on it. Gas is lighter
then oil and may exist as a separate "layer" although much oil does
exist dissolved in crude while in situ.

However as various "zones" are separated by layers of rock at various
degrees of permeability there may exist isolated water zones above
other isolated oil bearing zones lying deeper.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James" wrote:

[...]

A type there. Should read "although much GAS does exist dissolved in
crude while in situ".

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some West Texas sand oil - some of the sweet stuff - flows in rivers.
The company I worked for discovered that and developed a way to
drive a 'sucker' rod with perforations along the path. The drill
could be driven on-the-fly as they bored the hole following a river.
Long thought dry area started pumping. They had just hit a river
pocket here and there in the old days. Now there are draw pipes
down the fingers.

There is a lot of oil out there - a lot of it in places that cost more.
The oil companies have the money now to get to some of the more expensive
areas.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

"James" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you didnt cut and paste that from somewhere...you DO know a bit
about petrogeology.

Well done Sir..Well done!

Gunner, in the Kern-Sunset Oil Field

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.