DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DRO Scales from Littlemachineshop (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/256560-dro-scales-littlemachineshop.html)

DazFNQ July 28th 08 01:30 AM

DRO Scales from Littlemachineshop

Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks
DazFNQ

Ralph Henrichs July 28th 08 03:44 AM

DazFNQ wrote:
Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks
DazFNQ

Look at the ShumaTech DRO350 ,its 3ax and you can build it for under
$200. Look on Yahoo groups for info, there is a guy (Shane) in OZ that
sells the parts.

Ned Simmons July 28th 08 03:46 AM

DRO Scales from Littlemachineshop

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:30:25 +1000, "DazFNQ"
wrote:

Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

I bought one of these for an inspection fixtu
http://www.shars.com/products/view/2..._Machine_Scale

For $29 I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It appears to be
the same as the $160 Littlemachineshop unit.

--
Ned Simmons

Ignoramus24313 July 28th 08 04:02 AM

wrote:

Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

I bought one of these for an inspection fixtu
http://www.shars.com/products/view/2..._Machine_Scale

For $29 I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It appears to be
the same as the $160 Littlemachineshop unit.

I mounted shars.com's scale on my lathe and so far it works great for
me. For $30 or thereabouts, I get a lot of value out of it. (This is
the 8 inch scale used on the Y axis)

If I can find a horizontal scale long enough for my 36" lathe, where I
can mount the display somewhere else, for not too much, I would
be happy.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Ned Simmons July 28th 08 04:03 AM

DRO Scales from Littlemachineshop

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:46:55 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

I missed the 450mm length (since when is 450mm = 20"?). Shars' 450mm
scale is $89.

Ned Simmons July 29th 08 01:17 AM

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:35:22 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Ned - do you happen to know of any other distributors of the same device?

I'm sure Enco, MSC, McMaster and any number of other suppliers carry
them. Do you have a problem with Shars? I've purchased several items
from them and have been pleased with both their knowledge of their
products and, considering the very low prices, the quality.

--
Ned Simmons

RB[_2_] July 29th 08 02:35 PM

wrote:

Anyone from downunder using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

I bought one of these for an inspection fixtu
http://www.shars.com/products/view/2..._Machine_Scale

For $29 I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It appears to be
the same as the $160 Littlemachineshop unit.

I have also bought from Shars. Good product at great prices, fast
service, reasonable shipping (at the time).
I also like H&H for similar reasons

Ignoramus31137 July 29th 08 02:37 PM

DRO Scales from Littlemachineshop

I buy from Shars also. Let's see, $59 for a new 6" Kurt vise clone, is
hard to beat. I picked up locally in St Charles, so no shipping
charges.

David R.Birch July 30th 08 02:27 AM

wrote:
Ned - no trouble with them, just avoiding sites that require registering.

Hul

Here's another rave for Shars, I bought three linear scales of the
type in question to mount on my Benchmaster mill and love them!

David