Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BRL-CAD?

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

I have seen it: downloaded it, even. But I haven't tried it seriously,
as yet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:04:46 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

I've been watching for it to be offered as a zip file. The
2006 Windows version used the ******* MSI installer which
isn't allowed on my computer. I can hack the package apart
but it uses a zillion files/directories which I gave up
trying to sort out. I asked if they could make it available
as a zip archive, they thought that was a good idea but
didn't have anyone willing to sort it out.

Hmm... just took a look and see that they finally got around
to offering a new Windows build. May have to try downloading
it and see just what installer they are using with it now.
They claim it is better, maybe a Nullsoft package? I can
hack those apart okay. Not today though, already wasted
enough time downloading some whoppers on dial-up...

Iggy was trying it out around a year ago using the Linux
version. I never heard how far he got with it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:04:46 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

"Wes" mentioned it last week in r.c.m, "Anyone playing with brl-cad?"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...3d0b06f81f3118
with comments "windows version which is not as full featured afaikt"
and "they offer a debian package" and link to a gcode generator
but got no responses.

-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I just finished installing it; I think it said it was using Install
Shield -- but I didn't pay much attention.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:04:46 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

"Wes" mentioned it last week in r.c.m, "Anyone playing with brl-cad?"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...3d0b06f81f3118
with comments "windows version which is not as full featured afaikt"
and "they offer a debian package" and link to a gcode generator
but got no responses.

-jiw

Oh, yea -- check the dang archives first!!

At any rate, I've just installed it, if I find out anything interesting
I'll post it.

I really want to do a solid model of this here Cox TD 09 replacement
cylinder that I'm making, then get a drawing to pin on the wall behind
the lathe as I work. We'll see if I get that far, or if I end up
breaking out the compasses and graph paper.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

I'm trying to learn. The windows version doesn't seem to be full featured. Spent a fair
bit of time getting my Fedora Core 8 to compile.

I hope to play with how it outputs dxf or dwg files in the near future.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

snip
I've been watching for it to be offered as a zip file. The
2006 Windows version used the ******* MSI installer which
isn't allowed on my computer. I can hack the package apart
but it uses a zillion files/directories which I gave up
trying to sort out. I asked if they could make it available
as a zip archive, they thought that was a good idea but
didn't have anyone willing to sort it out.

snip
I just finished installing it; I think it said it was using Install
Shield -- but I didn't pay much attention.

The latest release uses the Nullsoft installer. It also
needs the MS .net framework (or at least part of it) and a
newer OS than NT4. So it won't run on my computer anyway.

I may be able to figure out where to stick all the files and
directories though for the old version now. Someday when I'm
really bored I may see about that

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got it compiled last night on my Linux box (the Debian package is
pretty old). Haven't had a chance to play yet...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Anyone heard of BRL-CAD? http://brlcad.org/?

It's supposed to be a well-developed open-source solid modeling package.

I was wondering if anyone here has any mileage with it, and their
impressions.

Another interesting program out there is blender www.blender.org It can do some
impressive kinemations. Blender is 3d but not a real solid modeler.

Wes