Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Miller Trailblazer 55G update...sob....

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:11:03 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

If you suspect #1 pull the head, heat it with a propane torch crank the
**** out of it as taking the genny off is a veritable nightmare. It may be
#1 was indeed open to mother nature. If you can drop the pan, drop all the
rod bolts and heat and beat accordingly. budget troubleshooting......

I pull the head..do I have to replace the head gaskets?

Absolutely. They most often stick to either the head or cylinder
block, usually around the water jacket holes. But even if it came off
clean (old solid copper gasket, f'rinstance), they're usually rotted
at some point and it's always safe to replace them.

Frankly..Im surprisingly inexperinced in engine repair. Whiile my
childhood friends were rebuilding and dabbling with cars..I was doing
radio, guns and their girlfriends....shrug

Pffft! I did all that, too. (though not as many girls as I'd have
liked, KWIM,V?)

Ive only rebuilt one engine in my lifetime...and had parts left over.
I sold it not long after...Well..I have done motorcycle engines
sucessfully here and there over the years....mostly Hondas, and helped
rebuild a few, passing tools to the experts

Spare parts are always a scary sign. vbg BTDT, had to go check
inside again after it was buttoned up. Grrr...

This engine seems simple enough, so Ill put the welder up on 6x6 beams
and pull the pan, if it doesnt start to turn when I go back, tommorow
or the next day. This is pretty much a lawn mower engine with 4
cylinders rather than one..."L head"?

I rectum so.

Ive always said that Id rather take a beating than work on an
engine..shrug....now Im older..and I dont heal as well..so I guess its
time to dig in and learn.....

Thanks Rob, and everyone else. Ill post any updates

Gunner, headed back out to put up more fencing before it gets too hot.

I just sweated buckets putting on a new fiberglass patio roof for a
lady, then came home to cut down more of the attack blackberry bushes
which are encroaching on my property. Gawd, I hate those things.

My SAE-300 will be going to Wyoming soon...if the guy gets back there
from Idaho and before he goes back to Loosyanner. Truckers DO get
around, don't they?

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren