DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   carbide (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/253220-carbide.html)

[email protected][_2_] June 15th 08 09:04 PM

carbide

I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

beecrofter[_2_] June 15th 08 09:34 PM

carbide

On Jun 15, 4:04*pm, " wrote:
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Yep, the binder is cobalt which is magnetic.

Ed Huntress June 15th 08 10:48 PM

carbide

wrote in message
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Tungsten carbide itself isn't, but the cobalt binder is. The endmills also
will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

--
Ed Huntress

John Martin June 16th 08 12:27 AM

carbide

On Jun 15, 4:04*pm, " wrote:
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Magnetic, but more weakly than steel would be. The density is the
real giveaway - they will be far heavier than a steel cutter of the
same size. Enough so that you shouldn't have to find a steel one to
compare - it will be much heavier than experience tells you it should
be.

John Martin

Wes[_2_] June 16th 08 12:43 AM

carbide

" wrote:

I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Yup, spin them 400 fpm or so, do not over feed them. Do not used them in non-rigid
setups.

Wes

Richard J Kinch June 16th 08 02:33 AM

carbide

Ed Huntress writes:

The endmills also will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

Ed of course means to say, *denser* than HSS, not necessarily heavier.

Ed Huntress June 16th 08 05:01 AM

carbide

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ed Huntress writes:

The endmills also will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

Ed of course means to say, *denser* than HSS, not necessarily heavier.

I suspect they'll be both. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Ignoramus25555 June 16th 08 05:46 AM

carbide

On 2008-06-15, Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote in message
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Tungsten carbide itself isn't, but the cobalt binder is. The endmills also
will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

Usually you can tell whether they are carbide, just by holding in your
hand, that's how much denser they are. Also, carbide can be very
mildly magnetic, unlike HSS which is strongly magnetic. Very big
difference.

Also, carbide can scratch HSS, but not vise versa.

Carbide and steel may look alike, esp. if they are coated with
something like TiN.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/