Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default carbide

I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 4:04*pm, " wrote:
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Yep, the binder is cobalt which is magnetic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Tungsten carbide itself isn't, but the cobalt binder is. The endmills also
will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 4:04*pm, " wrote:
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Magnetic, but more weakly than steel would be. The density is the
real giveaway - they will be far heavier than a steel cutter of the
same size. Enough so that you shouldn't have to find a steel one to
compare - it will be much heavier than experience tells you it should
be.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Yup, spin them 400 fpm or so, do not over feed them. Do not used them in non-rigid
setups.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress writes:

The endmills also will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

Ed of course means to say, *denser* than HSS, not necessarily heavier.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ed Huntress writes:

The endmills also will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

Ed of course means to say, *denser* than HSS, not necessarily heavier.

I suspect they'll be both. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-15, Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote in message
I bought a bunch of endmills from a machine shop going out of
business.
The seller told me some of them were carbide.
I saw some of them that were dull grey instead of shiny steel but they
were all magnetic.
Is tungsten carbide magnetic?
Engineman

Tungsten carbide itself isn't, but the cobalt binder is. The endmills also
will be noticeably heavier than HSS.

Usually you can tell whether they are carbide, just by holding in your
hand, that's how much denser they are. Also, carbide can be very
mildly magnetic, unlike HSS which is strongly magnetic. Very big
difference.

Also, carbide can scratch HSS, but not vise versa.

Carbide and steel may look alike, esp. if they are coated with
something like TiN.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Carbide Insert and Carbide Depot [email protected] Metalworking 1 November 23rd 07 06:37 PM
How much of Dillon's Carbide dies are Carbide? Clark Magnuson Metalworking 4 September 5th 07 04:59 AM
Lye and carbide mark Metalworking 10 February 28th 06 12:42 AM
Carbide Tip Jamrelliot Woodturning 6 December 25th 04 11:18 PM
tungsten carbide and carbide Kori Metalworking 4 August 1st 03 06:13 PM