Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? Set 235

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 01:35:07 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang
wrote:

"R.H." wrote in
:

That is *DEFINITLY* not a bead breaking tool,

snipppppppp
Normally, when breaking down a tire by hand, one would use a
chisel-like wedge (or wedge-hammer) to break the bead

Thanks for your suggestion that it could be a wheel weight tool, I
added it to the answer page, I also added this link to a tire bead
breaking hammer:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ken35429.html

The bead breaking part of the hammer looks similar to the tool on my
site, though it is much longer overall. I've looked for the patent on
number 1321 but so far I haven't had any luck.

With due respect, Rob, I have to disagree with you. What you've referenced
to above is a wedge-hammer. The wheel/tire is laying flat on the ground,
the side to be broken down is up. You put a little lube (usually a
vegtable-based soap) on the rim/tire to be broken down, stand on the
opposite side, and swing down like you're chopping wood. The hammer will
skip off the rim and smack you dead on the shin. If you actually DO hit
the tire/rim junction, the lube will splash directly up into your face,
unless you're the new guy watching an older hand do this - in which case it
will fly up into YOUR face.

There's just no way #1321 can be swung with any force to break a bead. The
"hook" portion is shaped wrong and would not work to give leverage to
either break the bead or lever the bead off of the rim. I printed the
picture and am passing it around the neighborhood - lots of professional
folks; carpenters, mechanics, a doctor, etc. Will let you know if I hear
anything.

You are correct. It is NOT a tire tool or a wheel weight hammer. The
hook is shaped more for gouging wood or something. And the hex at the
handle end is certainly nothing to do with weights.

The bead breaking hammer referenced is commonly called a duck bill
hammer.

42 years in the commercial tire business.

--Andy Asberry--