Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to mill a flat surface

Related to my yesterday's vise refurbishing project, where I milled a
little thin layer off the anvil to make it look smooth. I used a 5/8"
carbide endmill. I made multiple passes, each time removing a "strip"
approximately 1/2" wide.

While the result is perfectly acceptable for a vise anvil, it was
nothing to brag about as far as finish quality is concerned.

Here's one revealing pictu

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Vise-2182.jpg

The ridges you see, are visually exaggerated by the fact that some
passes fere from left to right and some were from right to left. They
look bigger than they are because of this. In reality they are not
really that high.

So. What would you do, to achieve a decent looking flat finish,
without a surface grinder or anything of the sort.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/