Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT swingsets

My kids need a new swingset. I am wanting to build one. Any
suggestions? I mean should I just find one and copy it, buy a book?
Anyone have any plans or pictures?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My kids need a new swingset. I am wanting to build one. Any
suggestions? I mean should I just find one and copy it, buy a book?
Anyone have any plans or pictures?

Maybe go to your local park or playground?
RR
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 May 2008 12:10:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Randy Replogle quickly quoth:

stryped wrote:
My kids need a new swingset. I am wanting to build one. Any
suggestions? I mean should I just find one and copy it, buy a book?
Anyone have any plans or pictures?

Maybe go to your local park or playground?

Maybe, if you don't reply to the troll, he'll go away.

--
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 9 May 2008 06:45:55 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

My kids need a new swingset. I am wanting to build one. Any
suggestions? I mean should I just find one and copy it, buy a book?
Anyone have any plans or pictures?

They aren't that tough an engineering challenge - but go look at
commercial versions for design cues. Especially the public park
models, they are made to take rough use.

Don't try making your own seats, it's like reinventing the wheel,
too many design variables. The public park style vulcanized rubber
seats can't be that expensive to buy AFAICT.

You have to make them strong - because when chains fail and
attachments detach, your kid could get seriously hurt. Beefy
hardware, and chains rated for more than you would guess - centripetal
forces plus two kids on one seat, and you have a ton of force...

Gusset and over-engineer the A connections to the main cross pole,
for the proper rigidity - because kids do climb up on top and use it
as monkey bars it has to be way strong. And anchor down the legs,
because the whole thing can fall over.

You have to studiously avoid pinch points and finger trap points - a
"degloving" injury is as horrible as it sounds. Everything needs to
be streamlined and enclosed.

Pad all the poles - standard foam pipe padding and pipe-wrap tape.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And no matter how hard you try, you can't wrap over the top bar...
And I used to try hard!

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

[...]

Ha! You've haven't watched "Extreme Swinging" on ESPN. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Didn't they succeed going over the top on Mythbusters?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Myth Busters said ya couldn't do it.
So that settles it!

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dorothy says that was the Rocket assisted dummy.

Sorry I missed that one
LOL

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They're a bunch of out-of-shape wusses. Get The Flying Tomato to give it a
try. He'll get it done.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good advice.

Most sets you can buy are poorly designed.

Go commerial quality.

Another hint...if you are HSMer build the A frame heavy enough so you
can use it with a hoist to lift heavy items.

I know more than one HSMer who has "built" a swingset to camoflage a
gantry crane in the neighborhood.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Dorothy says that was the Rocket assisted dummy.

Sorry I missed that one
LOL

I didn't know that Hawkie worked for Mythbusters!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

and make sure all the hooks are CLOSED. I witnessed the results of a
castration and worse yet a de-clitorization as a result of children
climbing those chains and slipping onto a slightly open hook.

Weld em closed if possible, if there is ANY doubt about their
smoothness. The results can be not only horrible, but ****ing
ghastly.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

Good point.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Speaking of swing injuries. When my mother was little she stuck her
finger in one of the chain links and somehow got a strip skin ripped
loose most of the top of her finger. They stuck it back down and it
healed fortunantly. I think I got told about that the first day I was
on a swing.

Everyone's talking about the swingset itself but no one has mentioned
the surface underneath. It needs to be sand or some other soft surface
and if it's swingset is set in concrete then the concrete needs to be
buried under the soft surface. Not that I've ever jumped off a swing
at the highest point or anything.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:14:06 "Up North" wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote...

And no matter how hard you try, you can't wrap over the top bar...
And I used to try hard!

Didn't they succeed going over the top on Mythbusters?

Yabbut that wasn't a normal kiddie swing, but a circus 'Swiss Swing'
(IIRC) rig with a platform on hard pipe arms off an axle.

With a normal chain mount swingset it isn't possible to get going
fast enough to go over the top without gravity rearing it's ugly head.

Even with multiple pushers assisting it's going to be almost
impossible. If you don't get enough velocity on the swinger on the
first over-horizontal try to go all the way over with enough
centripetal force to keep the chains taut, the chains go slack and the
swinger either hits the top bar (OUCH!) or starts gyrating randomly,
and will take out any pushers that get in the way.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 May 2008 10:35:38 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

[...]

In a moment of of unbridled curiosity during my youth...I tried it
and wound up hitting the top bar from a surprising distance up..then
the fall to the ground.

That got me my first set of broken ribs, since repeatedly broken on a
number of occasions.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT: posing problem OT swingsets

wrote:

[...]

This topic looks pretty dead so I'm testing using it.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:64udnQ_PW-
:

I didn't know that Hawkie worked for Mythbusters!

He didn't although they offered him the job of Test Dummy. G

Till they discovered that he's under qualified?