Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF band saw

stryped wrote:
We had a local store open up and they have the metal cutting band saw
for 150 bucks or so. I bought one of these cheap bandsaws at TSC
several years ago and went through two of them before I finally
returned them and bought a chop saw. The problem was the blade cutting
3 inch square tubing crooked.

Should I try it again or not?

I just bought this last year for $199.00 and it's great. Much better
than the HF unit I used to have. I see they jumped the price up.
http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...=119&sku=03111

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 11:05*pm, syoung wrote:
stryped wrote:
We had a local store open up and they have the metal cutting band saw
for 150 bucks or so. I bought one of these cheap bandsaws at TSC
several years ago and went through two of them before I finally
returned them and bought a chop saw. The problem was the blade cutting
3 inch square tubing crooked.

Should I try it again or not?

I just bought this last year for $199.00 and it's great. Much better
than the HF unit I used to have. I see they jumped the price up.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...Zn0JAiL... .- Hide quoted text -

Does it cut square? Also, would a "portable" metal cutting bandsaw
like the Porter Cable at Lowes clamped to a table cut as accurate?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
On May 7, 11:05 pm, syoung wrote:
http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...8iRZn0JAiL...-

Does it cut square? Also, would a "portable" metal cutting bandsaw
like the Porter Cable at Lowes clamped to a table cut as accurate?

I have seen four 4x6 bandsaws today (I started looking since this group
opened my eyes to their possibilities). The price ranged from $249 - $599
(Canadian). Also, for the first time today I saw a portable band saw
(Milwaukee - $399).

I have also gone through a lot of the stuff referenced in this thread. I am
more confused than ever.

1) My "gestalt" is that the Chinese band saws are a an uncertain bet at
best, but one can minimize chances of malfunction by replacing the blade and
adjusting the various guides etc.

2) The portable band saw does not seem to be capable of cutting accurately
(in terms of angles) unless supported in a stand. Or unless I do not
understand the technique of their use right. The only company that seems to
make a stand for the portaband is Milwaukee. The stand costs almost as much
as the saw. Furthermore, I have not been able to look at the stand "in the
flesh". On the web site it is hard to see how well it performs the necessary
tasks.

3) There is always the question of how would a dry-cut saw for $275 compare
with all of the above for cutting stock up to 3"X3"?

Has anyone here either used a portable bandsaw in a stand or has anyone
built a stand for one? There is a slew of portable "HDC" band saws on Ebay
for under $80. Even with a saw blade replacement this should be a good
solution provided one can solve the problem of stabilizing the cut.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic writes:

1) My "gestalt" is that the Chinese band saws are a an uncertain bet
at best, but one can minimize chances of malfunction by replacing the
blade and adjusting the various guides etc.

I don't think it is uncertain. They provide the stuff you can't make, like
a big casting, and you can always correct things like bearings and guides
if you're a machinist.

HF also makes a portable that is a decent clone of the Milwaukee. Nice to
have both the 4x6 and the portable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...8iRZn0JAiL...- Hide quoted text -

Does it cut square? Also, would a "portable" metal cutting bandsaw
like the Porter Cable at Lowes clamped to a table cut as accurate?

It cuts as square as you want to make it. A matter of adjustments.
I wouldn't think I could trust the Porter Cable setup you describe.