Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 15 hp lathe

convert to DC drive motor or VFD . I can get a 10 Hp dc 180 volt motor
and controller for about what i would pay for the VFD.

its a monarch 20 x 54 , 1945 vintage
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris,
I do not know why you need the variable speed with that lathe. Maybe my
memory is failing me, but I recall either that lathe having 18 or 24
different spindle speeds. I have a late model 18 x 54 Lodge & Shipley with a
15 HP motor and it has 24 speeds. If you still want to change, 10 HP is more
than enough. I have a HP meter on my headstock and I have never used more
than 5 HP even for the biggest cuts.
Steve

"Chris Henry" wrote in message
.. .
convert to DC drive motor or VFD . I can get a 10 Hp dc 180 volt motor and
controller for about what i would pay for the VFD.

its a monarch 20 x 54 , 1945 vintage

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Chris Henry wrote:

convert to DC drive motor or VFD . I can get a 10 Hp dc 180 volt motor
and controller for about what i would pay for the VFD.

its a monarch 20 x 54 , 1945 vintage

A Monarch of that vintage would have 16 spindle speeds, hardly warrants a vfd.
The best bang for a buck would be a bigger motor pulley & belts to speed up the
spindle. The optional bigger hp Monarchs were usually slower than the standard
models.
10 hp was standard for the 20 inch of that vintage.

Tom