DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Welding steel to gold - an example (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/238125-welding-steel-gold-example.html)

Bob Engelhardt March 15th 08 02:25 PM

Welding steel to gold - an example

Whilst doing some MIG welding, a bit of spatter landed on my wedding ring:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/ring.jpg

It is quite well bonded, but whether it's "welded" could be argued. I'd
say it's a matter of whether the steel was molten at the time of
contact. If so, it's welded, if not it's gold brazed. G - how much
gold brazing have you done?

Bob

Jeff R. March 15th 08 09:25 PM

Welding steel to gold - an example

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Whilst doing some MIG welding, a bit of spatter landed on my wedding ring:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/ring.jpg

It is quite well bonded, but whether it's "welded" could be argued. I'd
say it's a matter of whether the steel was molten at the time of contact.
If so, it's welded, if not it's gold brazed. G - how much gold brazing
have you done?

Bob

Gold - 'nowt.
But silver!
Back in my callow youth I attempted to cast some sterling silver into a
custom-turned steel ring mould - thinking that the soot layer would prevent
sticking. ...act as a release agent, so to speak.

Ha!

I learnt the toughness of silver soldering on that day.

--
Jeff R.