Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding steel to gold - an example

Whilst doing some MIG welding, a bit of spatter landed on my wedding ring:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/ring.jpg

It is quite well bonded, but whether it's "welded" could be argued. I'd
say it's a matter of whether the steel was molten at the time of
contact. If so, it's welded, if not it's gold brazed. G - how much
gold brazing have you done?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Whilst doing some MIG welding, a bit of spatter landed on my wedding ring:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/ring.jpg

It is quite well bonded, but whether it's "welded" could be argued. I'd
say it's a matter of whether the steel was molten at the time of contact.
If so, it's welded, if not it's gold brazed. G - how much gold brazing
have you done?

Bob

Gold - 'nowt.
But silver!
Back in my callow youth I attempted to cast some sterling silver into a
custom-turned steel ring mould - thinking that the soot layer would prevent
sticking. ...act as a release agent, so to speak.

Ha!

I learnt the toughness of silver soldering on that day.

--
Jeff R.

Welding SS to mild steel Guy King UK diy 6 October 11th 06 06:07 PM
welding and steel ANIMAL Metalworking 6 February 13th 06 05:21 AM
Welding 65 x 25 steel plate, MIG or TIG? Chris Metalworking 6 January 14th 06 04:21 PM
Gold Iridite finish for steel? Metalworking 6 September 20th 05 02:33 AM
Stainless Steel Welding with sp-135? joelholio Metalworking 1 July 13th 05 05:23 AM