DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   master cylinder finish (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/236434-master-cylinder-finish.html)

T.Alan Kraus March 6th 08 06:03 PM

master cylinder finish

What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Rex March 6th 08 10:51 PM

master cylinder finish

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

Considering a brake hone uses stones of about 320 grit, I expect reaming
would be OK

woodworker88 March 7th 08 06:37 AM

master cylinder finish

On Mar 6, 10:03 am, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:
What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Usually they are honed with a Sunnen hone. Usually the point is to
remove any striations or rings (lines going either along the length of
the cylinder or around the bore).

Rex March 7th 08 03:00 PM

master cylinder finish

woodworker88 wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:03 am, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:
What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Usually they are honed with a Sunnen hone. Usually the point is to
remove any striations or rings (lines going either along the length of
the cylinder or around the bore).

Well, yes, but a certain fine finish is desirable, and a mirror finish
is not.

T.Alan Kraus March 7th 08 05:57 PM

master cylinder finish

Rex wrote:
woodworker88 wrote:

On Mar 6, 10:03 am, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material
is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Usually they are honed with a Sunnen hone. Usually the point is to
remove any striations or rings (lines going either along the length of
the cylinder or around the bore).

Well, yes, but a certain fine finish is desirable, and a mirror finish
is not.

Yes I researched that and found out that there are two issues at play.
One is the obvious piston seal deterioration by friction with a rough
bore surface, the other is an increased stiction for the o ring seal
when the bore surface is too smooth. These two issues work against each
other and there is a happy medium. Somewhere I saw the figure of 20
micro inches or an Ra of 5. Can anyone confirm or shoot this down?

cheers
T.Alan

Rex March 7th 08 08:52 PM

master cylinder finish

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Rex wrote:
woodworker88 wrote:

[...]

I wrote Raybestos tech dept, awaiting answer