Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default master cylinder finish

What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

Considering a brake hone uses stones of about 320 grit, I expect reaming
would be OK
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 6, 10:03 am, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:
What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Usually they are honed with a Sunnen hone. Usually the point is to
remove any striations or rings (lines going either along the length of
the cylinder or around the bore).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

woodworker88 wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:03 am, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:
What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Usually they are honed with a Sunnen hone. Usually the point is to
remove any striations or rings (lines going either along the length of
the cylinder or around the bore).

Well, yes, but a certain fine finish is desirable, and a mirror finish
is not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
woodworker88 wrote:

On Mar 6, 10:03 am, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

What is the usual finish for hydraulic master cylinders internal bores.
Say a brake master cylinder. Would reaming be good enough? Material
is 303

cheers
T.Alan

Usually they are honed with a Sunnen hone. Usually the point is to
remove any striations or rings (lines going either along the length of
the cylinder or around the bore).

Well, yes, but a certain fine finish is desirable, and a mirror finish
is not.

Yes I researched that and found out that there are two issues at play.
One is the obvious piston seal deterioration by friction with a rough
bore surface, the other is an increased stiction for the o ring seal
when the bore surface is too smooth. These two issues work against each
other and there is a happy medium. Somewhere I saw the figure of 20
micro inches or an Ra of 5. Can anyone confirm or shoot this down?

cheers
T.Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Rex wrote:
woodworker88 wrote:

[...]

I wrote Raybestos tech dept, awaiting answer