Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Query SDS drills (was DeWalt)

posted to RCM only

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:01:03 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm,
Donald Arseneau quickly quoth:

On Feb 6, 12:05 pm, JR North wrote:
My HF SDS Hammer Drill will whip the DeWalt's ass.

Which one, JR?

But will it fit in a Tk toolkit?

Inherited space-savings, perhaps?

QUERY HF SDS drills

I have some holes to punch in concrete ot put up a carport for my new
twuck. Is this HF SDS kit worth a crap or should I just rent a hammer
drill for a day? It'd be about the same price. Are the HF drill bits
worth a hoot?
IN the store, they're listed as $79.99 on sale for $59.99, but on the
website, they're listed as normally $59.99 on sale for $39.99.
Strange.

These are straight SDS, while all the bits in stores are SDS+ or MAX.

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-07, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
I have some holes to punch in concrete ot put up a carport for my new
twuck. Is this HF SDS kit worth a crap or should I just rent a hammer
drill for a day? It'd be about the same price. Are the HF drill bits
worth a hoot?
IN the store, they're listed as $79.99 on sale for $59.99, but on the
website, they're listed as normally $59.99 on sale for $39.99.
Strange.

These are straight SDS, while all the bits in stores are SDS+ or MAX.

I would just rent a hole saw like a Hilti. I bought/sold one recently
and was very impressed with its workmanship.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:27:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

posted to RCM only

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:01:03 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm,
Donald Arseneau quickly quoth:

On Feb 6, 12:05 pm, JR North wrote:
My HF SDS Hammer Drill will whip the DeWalt's ass.

Which one, JR?

But will it fit in a Tk toolkit?

Inherited space-savings, perhaps?

QUERY HF SDS drills

I have some holes to punch in concrete ot put up a carport for my new
twuck. Is this HF SDS kit worth a crap or should I just rent a hammer
drill for a day? It'd be about the same price. Are the HF drill bits
worth a hoot?
IN the store, they're listed as $79.99 on sale for $59.99, but on the
website, they're listed as normally $59.99 on sale for $39.99.
Strange.

These are straight SDS, while all the bits in stores are SDS+ or MAX.

I have one of the small handdrill sized HF hammer drills..$39 on sale
as I recall. Came with about 5 bits, plus a chisel and pick. Oh..it
also came with a SDS shanked standard Jacobs chuck for regular
drilling.

200+ 3/8" and at least that many 1/2" holes (bar feeder installations)
and its still working fine. Bits lasted about 30 holes each, 4" deep,
but I was pushing pretty hard and fast.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2957

the one in your link is a beefy ****er. 10.5lbs and likely overkill.
But several people I know have them, with no complaints. It IRRC uses
SDS+ or SDS Max size bits. It is NOT variable speed The one I have is
standard SDS. And is varible speed.

Yours is also big enough to be an issue if drilling up close to a
flange or verticle.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:45:05 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

I have a little Chiwanese hammer drill which eats bits. It stalled in
the rocks in my walkway cement, but goes right through mortar and
block. It's not heavy enough for real drilling.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2957

the one in your link is a beefy ****er. 10.5lbs and likely overkill.
But several people I know have them, with no complaints. It IRRC uses
SDS+ or SDS Max size bits. It is NOT variable speed

That's my problem. The HF stuff seems to be all Plain Jane SDS, while
all the bits in stores are Plus (more dimples) or MAX (wannabe
spline).

The one I have is
standard SDS. And is varible speed.

Where do you find bits? All I saw in Diamond Home Center yesterday
were SDS Plus and MAX. Ditto the local ACE Hardware store.

Yours is also big enough to be an issue if drilling up close to a
flange or verticle.

I seriously doubt there's more than an inch or so of difference
between the drilling centers on those beasties, but thanks for the
thought.

Note to Iggy: Hilti hole saw? Who mentioned saws? g

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Somehow, my weekend posts don't show up. Left a link in my post:

Body of my post:
My HF SDS Hammer Drill will whip the DeWalt's ass. I thought my

Milwaukee HD was good, till I tried the HF. 3/4" SDS bit Goes through 5"
heavy ag concrete in 5 sec. Excellent isolation; Virtually no vib
transmitted. The Milwaukee took over a minute with similar, but chucked
bit, and buzzed my arm numb.. The SDS chuck is the way to go.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability: