Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? CCXIII

"R.H." wrote in message
Set number 213 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1185. i read someone else's answer and now my mind is polluted, i can't
think of anything else but a flower holder for a horse drawn hearse.
1186. could it be for a wind up toy?
1187. i thought a mouth actuated atomizer, spraying some kind of paint.
maybe water based paint hence they made it out of copper? kinda funny, if i
designed it would've made it tall and thin instead of wide and flat, but
maybe they did it that way to keep it from tipping over?
1188. nope, no clue. i see DoN guessed removing jar lids, how about
crimping ON some sort of specialized lid? wondering if the hole in the
middle is more than just a lightening hole but supposed to clear a
protrusion from a specialized lid?
1189. i feel like i should be able to guess what this thing is for but
can't. has a wimpy looking handle. either not original or whatever it did
didn't require a lot of force. maybe it was designed to be struck with
another hammer? the handle is just to guide it?
1190. this is the reason i'm responding this week. my first thought was
"hoax". (to me "..uncle unearthed it in a cornfield in the 50's..." implies
it's ancient) to me the work marks on the stone look too new for it to be an
ancient object. and i thought if it was created by ancient artisans it
would've been much more finely crafted. but i've been wrong before, and i
don't mean to insult or imply the person who submitted it is dishonest.
maybe i'm just plain wrong. also, it looks to me like a steel tool would've
had to be used to make it, would have to be modern.