Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any suggestions on how to flatten a hard Arkansas stone?

I have a black, hard Arkansas oil stone that's probably close to 100 years
old (handed down from grandpa). The surface isn't flat anymore and it has
some chips and dings from many years of service. It doesn't seem to cut very
well too, and I'm guessing the pores are filled with dirt and dross. I've
read about techniques to clean the surface (such as a good long soak in an
oil dissolving cleaner and baking in a stove) and I had been planning to go
at the surface with a diamond grit flat stone of similar width. Has anyone
had any experience (good or bad) with rejuvenating an old timer like this?

'preciate your comments...

Cheers.

Michael

What is difference between Arkansas stone and India stone [email protected] Metalworking 12 January 3rd 08 05:20 PM
Arkansas Town Hit Hard With Graffiti (18 hispanics arrested). Story & Video. Ted Home Repair 1 July 27th 07 08:53 PM
Flatten Arkansas Stones John Grossbohlin Woodworking 18 June 13th 06 01:33 AM
Arkansas Stone Dave Metalworking 12 November 24th 05 04:49 PM
Northwest Arkansas Woodturners? Doug Stowe Woodturning 9 October 25th 04 11:39 AM