Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bench Grinder

I've just bought a diamond wheel-dresser which is a steel rod with a
block of steel at the end with a 1.5" x 1/2" face with coarse diamonds
stuck to it.
Anyone know how the diamonds are attached? And how rugged are these
things to having the diamonds knocked off?
Can you just push it against a wheel at any angle? I mean with the
leading or trailing edge of the dresser hitting the wheel first? Or
must you be careful to get the centre of the dresser to hit the wheel
first? Should the dresser be held against the tool rest, or can you
just hold it freehand? Are light "cuts" advisable? I've been a naughty
boy and used the wheel for aluminium. I have stood to one side, just
in case, however.

Also. I've just bought a new slower speed grinder (1425 rpm - 4-pole
on 50Hz) with a gray GP wheel and a white alumina wheel. Which would
be the best for touching up carbide-tipped lathe tools?
Way back, I just used the grey wheel that was in the grinder without a
thought. jack