Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new steel mill

"c.henry" wrote:

You do know who Nucor is right? The company who revolutionized steel
making and revived steel making in this country ?

dont know where your "Japan" reference comes from, with the exception of
high quality Rail, over 80 percent of steel used in North America comes
for North or South America. The steel dumping done by China and Japan
are a thing of the past, Japan was dumping automotive grade steels which
are now produced cheaper here, and China was dumping structurals and
plate of which they are a net importer now.

Dont listen to the media and the unions, the truth is out there if your
willing to look for it

Damn that is good news. I thought the tree huggers had killed off the US
steel industry.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"c.henry" wrote:

You do know who Nucor is right? The company who revolutionized steel
making and revived steel making in this country ?

dont know where your "Japan" reference comes from, with the exception of
high quality Rail, over 80 percent of steel used in North America comes
for North or South America. The steel dumping done by China and Japan
are a thing of the past, Japan was dumping automotive grade steels which
are now produced cheaper here, and China was dumping structurals and
plate of which they are a net importer now.

Dont listen to the media and the unions, the truth is out there if your
willing to look for it

Damn that is good news. I thought the tree huggers had killed off the US
steel industry.

Wes

Just be aware that Nucor and the other low-cost US steelmaking operations
are scrap remelters using electric arc furnaces, not primary producers. In
an advanced economy like ours the remelt business actually dominates steel
production, as it should at this stage in history. And Nucor still is not
producing auto-body-grade strip -- unless it's done so in the last few
months.

China produces something like 400 million tons of steel, to our 100 million
or so tons. But China's construction boom is so hot that they're consuming
417 million tons. When they catch up, expect them to start dumping cheap
steel on world markets again.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Just be aware that Nucor and the other low-cost US steelmaking operations
are scrap remelters using electric arc furnaces, not primary producers. In
an advanced economy like ours the remelt business actually dominates steel
production, as it should at this stage in history. And Nucor still is not
producing auto-body-grade strip -- unless it's done so in the last few
months.

I noticed they are remelters after I posted. But we do have a lot of steel
to reprocess likely at a lower cost than making it from ore.

China produces something like 400 million tons of steel, to our 100 million
or so tons. But China's construction boom is so hot that they're consuming
417 million tons. When they catch up, expect them to start dumping cheap
steel on world markets again.

I wonder how much of the polution from China's raw ore production makes it
to the US? I also wonder how cheap their steel would be if they had to meet
our or western europes enviromental regulations?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"c.henry" wrote:

[...]

Primary Producers? Nucor is the top US steel producer having recently
surpassed US Steel, Arcelor-Mittal is the worlds largest. We have
equipment in plants of the all of the top ten producers and 15 out of
the top 25. we only have equipment in one of Arcelor- Mittals plants ,
but we hope to change that in the coming years. Our biggest area of
growth is South korea and China, we have dominated our feild in Japan
for years

China wont catch up, neither will India. China will build more mills in
the next 10 years than have been built in world in the last 50. Their
production amounts are expected to drop by 30 percent in the next few
years before the new ones come on line, they have some huge mills that
they have to shutter.

We are currently quoting and building equipment for mills in Korea,
China, India and South Africa

While scrap does make up a good portion of the charge in most EAF
furnaces , the change to DRI as a large portion is growing rapidly.

Direct reduced Iron , can be made efficiently by large BOF mills and is
a higher quality melt than standard scrap. DRI can aslo be sourced more
cheaply than scrap steel at some times of the year. There is a lot of
scrap producers that are contracted for their entire output for years to
come to shipping overseas.

Nucor owns a couple of large scrap operations.

in the next decade you can expect to see most of the large BOF mills
converting to Electric Arc furnaces fed with DRI made in the BOF

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Just be aware that Nucor and the other low-cost US steelmaking operations
are scrap remelters using electric arc furnaces, not primary producers. In
an advanced economy like ours the remelt business actually dominates steel
production, as it should at this stage in history. And Nucor still is not
producing auto-body-grade strip -- unless it's done so in the last few
months.

I noticed they are remelters after I posted. But we do have a lot of
steel
to reprocess likely at a lower cost than making it from ore.

Oh, yeah. And Nucor has developed their processes to a high degree of
refinement. They can make steel in the lower and middling grades a LOT
cheaper than making it from ore. I don't know how their costs compare on
higher grades but they've concentrated on lower grades up till now.

When they refine steel from scrap they not only have to get out the basic
impurities, essentially sulfur and phosphorus (much of which is eliminated
just by using scrap to begin with), but they also have to react-out the
minor metal alloying ingredients that show up in scrap.

China produces something like 400 million tons of steel, to our 100
million
or so tons. But China's construction boom is so hot that they're consuming
417 million tons. When they catch up, expect them to start dumping cheap
steel on world markets again.

I wonder how much of the polution from China's raw ore production makes it
to the US?

Ya' got me.

I also wonder how cheap their steel would be if they had to meet
our or western europes enviromental regulations?

Not nearly as cheap, to be sure. But they have other cost advantages as
well. The guys who dig ore and coal, and who ship it to the steel mills,
also make 80 cents/hour. They have advantages in embedded-labor costs up and
down the whole supply chain.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"c.henry" wrote in message
.. .
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"c.henry" wrote:

[...]

Terminology. Primary producers are those that make metal from ore. Secondary
producers re-melt scrap. Nucor is a secondary producer.

That has nothing to do with their size. It's just a distinction concerning
where the metal comes from. When I was covering metal producing for trade
magazines, secondary aluminum was getting really big, but secondary steel
was still a small business that made junk steel (basic structural steel).
Nucor has changed the whole equation. But they're still a secondary
producer, in industry terms.

We have equipment in plants of the all of the top ten producers and 15 out
of the top 25. we only have equipment in one of Arcelor- Mittals plants ,
but we hope to change that in the coming years. Our biggest area of growth
is South korea and China, we have dominated our feild in Japan for years

Is South Korea mostly doing primary or re-melt these days? It's always been
assumed that re-melt would eventually dominate steel production in advanced
economies. I'd think that South Korea must be approaching that point. China,
though, is still predominantly a primary producer.

[...]

That's interesting. I've read that Nucor is using DRI for their higher
grades. BOF's typically use 35 - 40% scrap in a charge, anyway (or they did,
when I was covering the industry) so the worldwide demand for scrap will
remain high in any case.

--
Ed Huntress