Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default masonry heater doors

I would think a steel door would warp. Would this cast iron door work?

Warp on steel can certainly be a problem. But it can be overcome with good
design. Go look at the large outdoor wood boilers and copy their door
design.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I would think a steel door would warp. Would this cast iron door work?

Warp on steel can certainly be a problem. But it can be overcome with
good design. Go look at the large outdoor wood boilers and copy their door
design.

Karl

My outdoor wood stove has water circulating through the door to prevent
warpage. But like you said, proper design could prevent warpage.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 6, 12:37 pm, "Up North" wrote:
"RoyJ" wrote in message

The simplest finish is to clean it up to shiny bare metal, heat it to a
dull red, toss it in some used motor oil. Comes out a satin black.

wrote:
I'm planning to build what they call a masonry heater or Finnish
heater. A problem is the cast iron doors required cost $800 and up.
I'm an OK welder and I have plenty of scrap plate around. I'm trying
to find out if it would be a good idea to fabricate my own doors out
of plate.

My concern right now is the finish: First question, is the flat black
appearance of cast iron a black iron oxide or something else?

There are apparently more than a few phophatizing/bluing/parkerizing
methods available but the few I've seen cant take 750F heat. My only
other criteria is that I want a flat brown or black or dark gray
color. What finsh or treatment (if any) is available to the DIYer?

--zeb

I would think a steel door would warp. Would this cast iron door work?http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...UCT&itemID=199

Thanks for the link. Need to find more about the door though.