Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Malleability of Gold

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Not likely, but only because they are work hardened from being struck.
When gold is rolled, by the time it gets down around .03" in thickness, it
can't support its own weight after being annealed, and will fold over itself
easily (been there, done that). It's no wonder why you can get about 35
miles of gold wire out of a troy ounce. Very ductile, malleable element in
the pure state.

I was talking to my uncle a few minutes and he was remarking that silver can
be drawn out to remarkable lenghths. He quoted me an impressive number but
I'm not sure he was mixing grains with grams and such.

As an aside, it wasn't so long ago that forecasts of a silver shortage were
in all the photography magazines. I guess digicams solved that one.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

It was well documented that at one point in time, were it not for recycling
silver, it was being consumed at a rate greater than production. You can
attribute that to photography, which was likely the largest consumer of
silver at that point in time, save for coinage. I agree----digicams,
along with all electronic photo devices, have materially changed the entire
industry. When's the last time you purchased a roll of film? Been years
for us------not sure if it's even still on the shelves like it used to be.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

It was well documented that at one point in time, were it not for recycling
silver, it was being consumed at a rate greater than production. You can
attribute that to photography, which was likely the largest consumer of
silver at that point in time, save for coinage. I agree----digicams,
along with all electronic photo devices, have materially changed the entire
industry. When's the last time you purchased a roll of film? Been years
for us------not sure if it's even still on the shelves like it used to be.

I bought some film about 3 years ago from B&W. Still in the refrigerator.
By now the battery in my F1 is dead again...

FWIW, I was in a local drafting supply store today. Last time I was in
there was when I was in college back in the early 90's. Sure seemed
different in there. No boards, few templates but lots of plotters.

They still had drawing tubes though. Needed one to keep my gattling gun
plan set in.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:50:09 -0500, Wes wrote:

They still had drawing tubes though. Needed one to keep my gattling gun
plan set in.

RGG, or another one?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:50:09 -0500, Wes wrote:

They still had drawing tubes though. Needed one to keep my gattling gun
plan set in.

RGG, or another one?

I went with RGG which shoots LR's. The other one, D&E, seems to only shoot
shorts.

Wes