Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Building Components

SteveB wrote:
After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With
some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with metal
building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local Tradio
ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to sell. Things like
that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I can
find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Steve, I know it was clear to you when you wrote it, but "a metal structure" is
not a very precise term. It could cover anything from a pot metal toothbrush
rack to the Brooklyn Bridge.

What kind of metal?
What kind of structure?

Is this a simple shed with sheet metal studs? A carport made of aluminum tubing?

In general, I recommend designing it with materials that are easy to buy, and
simply buying new. If you're working with used structural steel, you enormously
increase your labor by having to clean off old paint and/or rust.

You don't mention if you are a welder or not. If you are a welder and can weld
most metals, it seems unlikely you would need to make such a posting. Can you
weld aluminum? If you are planning to drill holes and use fasteners, be aware
that is a real chore. Drilling takes 20X as long as punching.

There is not only knowledge, but a whole lot of gear you need to do most metal
fabrication. You may find yourself needing something like 24 C-clamps, for example.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With
some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with
metal building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local
Tradio ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to
sell. Things like that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I
can find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Buy a kit - several outfits on the 'net that let you design what you want .
Put it on your foundation/floor slab . I've been looking at this option for
when I can afford to move to my HillBilly HideAway in the Ozarks .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:01:22 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With
some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with metal
building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local Tradio
ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to sell. Things like
that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I can
find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Did you ever confer with Steamboat Ed Haas about his building possibly
meeting your needs last May, Steve? 30x72' or some portion thereof.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you talking about a prefab metal building (all metal structural) or
a pole barn style (metal sheeting on walls and roof, wood posts and
trusses for support)??

Around here, the materials for a decent sized pole barn with plenty of
nice options (overhead doors, several windows, access doors, overhangs)
run in the $5 per square foot range. Site prep, concrete extra.
http://www.menards.com/featuredProje...postFramesMain

SteveB wrote:
After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With
some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with metal
building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local Tradio
ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to sell. Things like
that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I can
find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A few big names in the game:
Varco Pruden
MBCI
Alliance Steel

I don't know that anyone will provide an erection manual ( no, not
that kind . . .) just because, but it never hurts to ask.

Things to learn about:
Panel gauge - 26 gauge for normal commercial
Panel pattern - R panel is basic 3' sheet with 3 rib pattern.
Panel finish - Galvalume is common for roof, often 29 gauge.
Fiberglass skylight panels
Ridge venting
Standing seam
Clear span frames
Gable end framing
Z girts or C girts
Roof girts
Roof purlins - bay spacing
Insulation systems - Use chicken wire with vinyl faced
Bird stop
Gutter and trim

Make sure that you know what frame/bolt pattern and door layout
you will use before pouring any floor. Create a sheet iron pocket
for weather seal, stop at doors. Recess overhead door openings.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveB" wrote in message
After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it
myself. With some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar
with metal building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale.
Local Tradio ads for people who may have pieces and parts they
want to sell. Things like that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site
where I can find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just in the process of finishing a 24X72 all metal extension on my existing
self erected 40X72X14 steel building. The current is the 4th private
steel building project that I have been involved with. Yeah I would advise
a kit rather than scrounging parts and trying to make them fit both
geometrically and strength wise. Even the kits can have fitting problems
and they are done by pros. I used Butler only because they had the
corregation pattern that I needed to match the existing roof panels. If you
choose a kit, stay away from those using special high strength bolts as the
building inspection department can have a field day making sure you torque
those bolts to some obscure standard that requires $10,000 tooling. Another
thing learned was using the kit foam units to spray foam insulation with.
Hire a pro. The kits for amateurs have some real problems like poor mixing
guns, pre-pressurized cans that of course lose pressure as they go. My
existing building had foam sprayed at construction time and continues
provide insulation as well as some sound deadening and a certain amount of
stiffness added to the panels. Much better than the vinyl backed fiberglass
that was used on another building which now has accumulated dust from the
air and is pulling the glass away from the ceiling.
Best advice is to go set down and have a cold beer until the feeling of DIY
goes away. Then get a contractor to come do it. You'll get it done much
quicker. Our project has drug on for nearly a year and I'm retired and
available to work 7day/week.
news

"SteveB" wrote in message
After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With
some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with metal
building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local Tradio
ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to sell. Things
like that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I can
find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
[...]

I want to build a shop, minimum 1200 sf, 12' eave from ground elevation,
four bay roll up doors, six 4o6o windows, 4 passage doors, and three
skylights.

I know there are some things in there that are different than "normal"
construction materials. All I was seeking was a dictionary/glossary type
publication so I can start identifying and locating components.

I know about used stuff, having been in the business. Yet, sometimes the
dirt cheap price makes it worth while. And leftover stuff, or just stuff at
pennies on the dollar is a bargain any day. Basically studs, girts,
purlins, columns, fasteners, etc.

And I have welded for 33 years now.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.. .

"SteveB" wrote in message
After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence
constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With
some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with
metal building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local Tradio
ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to sell. Things
like that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I
can find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Thanks. Good advice. I was just insulted by a guy that wanted $65, for a
1,500 sf building with four rollups, four doors, four windows and three
skylights. Next guy down was slightly less, lowest was $31k which was
getting into the reasonable range.

Same gauge metal, same specs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in
:

Thanks. Good advice. I was just insulted by a guy that wanted $65,
for a 1,500 sf building with four rollups, four doors, four windows
and three skylights. Next guy down was slightly less, lowest was $31k
which was getting into the reasonable range.

Same gauge metal, same specs.

Give Kevin Huff a call at (970)675-2649.

He custom builds steel buildings, primarily for pipeline stations, and can
fill you in on how to do an excellent job without breaking the bank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Howzabout 2,000 square foot building for, say, $6k. All ya gotta
do is come and get it. Where you located? I'm in Northern California.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?

Cleaning grease from cables, electronics, metal parts and plastic components [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 September 18th 07 10:06 PM
Metal building repair Ernst Home Repair 0 February 23rd 07 02:34 PM
Metal building Brandon Woodworking 16 September 27th 06 01:45 AM
Receptacles in Metal Building Ray Home Repair 0 March 16th 05 06:00 AM
METAL BUILDING Wanted ji Metalworking 15 January 4th 05 01:42 AM