DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   safety glasses/bifocals (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/221949-safety-glasses-bifocals.html)

cj November 20th 07 10:58 PM

safety glasses/bifocals

greetings, as the years pile on and the prints get smaller i find myself
in need of a pair of safety/bifocals and after searching online i found
these..http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf2.html. just curios as to
anyone might have a little info on this brand or any others that work or
dont work (easily scratched)
thanks cj

Karl Townsend November 21st 07 12:59 AM

safety glasses/bifocals

greetings, as the years pile on and the prints get smaller i find myself
in need of a pair of safety/bifocals and after searching online i found

Gettin' old ain't for pussies.

I find I can only use tempered glass lenses. Anything else just gets
scratched right up. I go to Sears and get a safety glass frame and put
bifocals in them. Not strictly a safety glass, but I've been popped in the
eye pretty hard and the glass took it and protected me.

Karl

P.S. With transition, bifocal, tempered glass, and safety frame; they ain't
cheap. over $300 for this pair.

RoyJ November 21st 07 02:39 AM

safety glasses/bifocals

I'm in the shop a lot, supervising students but not actually getting
that close to the machines. I use hardened glass lenses in my regular
trifocals, then add some z87.1 side shields I got from McMaster. P/N
2571T1 at $4.43 a pair. Not as good as real safety glasses but a lot
more practical for me.

AHS November 22nd 07 01:55 AM

safety glasses/bifocals

No matter what coating they have, they will scratch easily. I've found that
most scratches are due to operator behavior. My bifocals have a 2nd bifocal
at the top, great for working under an auto lift.

To avoid most scratches I suggest:
+ clean by washing then air dry
+ don't lay them lens side down
+ don't let the temples touch the lenses

Many recommend a soft carrying bag that can double as a wiping cloth. Be
aware that the temples may/will touch while in the bag. I clip the temples
together with a small binder clip before inserting into the bag. I get a
good life out of mine by following these tips.