Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Open the Box.

Edward Hennessey wrote:
A recent thread brought these two incidents to mind.
After having Sears hold money for 6 months without delivery of
$600 worth of items, I called the Better Business Bureau and the city where
the
store was situated, successfully asking both entities to give Sears their
opinion about its order
fulfillment practices.

What later ensued was abrupt message from Sears on my answering robot
instructing me to pick up the
merchandise. On arriving at the store, the scowling greeting overwhelmed my
heart. When the
boxes where wheeled out with the snarling announcement of "Here's your
stuff", I wondered.
Then I asked them to watch while the boxes were opened, earning a warm
"What, you think
we're trying to screw you?" from the clerk. On opening, every door in the
rollaways was kicked in.
No need to think what my situation would have been if I called in that
report from the house.

Case two involves Home Depot. I binged on supplies for a project. At home, I
opened the
heavy nail gun case and--voila!--no nail gun. Returning back to the store,
my revelation of the
situation won some suspicious looks at the return desk. The manager came
and-- kindly and,
reluctantly-- said "Give him another one". Returning to the tool department
after getting the gun,
I found they had unpacked the orignial gun from the first box and used it as
a display item without
marking or tossing the empty case they first sold me.

After that, I open everything before getting a receipt. It is unsurpring how
many boxes have
been pilfered or have damaged merchandise which it is far less awkward to
deal with before
you plunk the money down than later.

I can buy the HD incident, but I'm having a little trouble believing the
Sears incident. I don't think their people care that much, and those doors
aren't that easy to kick in. Sorry, had to say it.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Edward Hennessey wrote:
[...]

You don't have to buy it. Neither did I...buy the units I mean. Mallet or
foot doesn't
make much difference. If you want to see rollaways like this and have a
Sears center near you
selling distressed merchandise, have a field day. But you don't have to open
the boxes. And
if you think that people never do these kind of things to other people just
because they think
they can get away with it....

That's all I have to say.

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Edward Hennessey wrote:
You don't have to buy it. Neither did I...buy the units I mean.

Mallet or
foot doesn't
make much difference. If you want to see rollaways like this and have a
Sears center near you
selling distressed merchandise, have a field day. But you don't have to open
the boxes. And
if you think that people never do these kind of things to other people just
because they think
they can get away with it....

That's all I have to say.

Edward Hennessey

I can believe it. I've seen how vindictive people can get when their
faults are brought to light. I'm sure you made several people ****ed
off in the process of getting your order straightened out. It's not a
common problem but it's worth being aware of.

I've been lucky and all the stuff I've bought recently has had all the
stuff in the box and come in good condition. My one return to Home
Depot was easy and and I was treated with courtesy. I've never had to
return something to Sears.

On the other hand, I've heard plenty of stories about opened boxes re
shrink wrapped at Frey's electronics. If I were crazy enough to buy
something there, I'd open it before I was past the check out.

Tony
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anthony W wrote:
Edward Hennessey wrote:
[...]

Well, I guess it's a point of view
issue. I drop $500-$800 a *month*
at Fry's for my business. It's been
4 years since I've returned anything
or had a complaint.

It definitely helps if you know how
Fry's works and can deal with clerks
that you know and trust, but that holds
true for most stores.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

On the other hand, I've heard plenty of stories about opened boxes re
shrink wrapped at Fry's electronics. If I were crazy enough to buy
something there, I'd open it before I was past the check out.

Well, I guess it's a point of view
issue. I drop $500-$800 a *month*
at Fry's for my business. It's been
4 years since I've returned anything
or had a complaint.

It definitely helps if you know how
Fry's works and can deal with clerks
that you know and trust, but that holds
true for most stores.

In my area I have other good suppliers to deal with and I will only buy
something from Fry's if I'm stuck. I've had to deal with repairing
clients computers that had Fry's parts in them.

A friend of mine bought a case with power supply for her new computer
there and had to return it twice. She was sure it was good after
returning it the first time but still couldn't get the machine to boot
up reliably. I took a used power supply out my junk boxes and plugged
it in and the system booted up normally. I gave her a used case and
power supply and told her to just get her money back from Fry's. This
is just one of may Fry's stories I have...

Tony

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anthony W wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

Well, here's another Fry's story...

I replaced all of our computers at the same
time with machines I built up from components
purchased solely at Fry's. Six desktops and
2 servers. That was over 3 years ago. Total
issues with those machines to date are one ATX
power supply and one DDRAM stick. Total downtime
repairing the issues is about 3 hours. Total
data lost due to the issues is zero.

I have no complaints with that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:32:31 GMT, Anthony W
wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

[...]

http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html

http://www.doofus.org/frys/other.html

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Far...k--54433.phtml

Shrug. Ive bought stuff from Frys, that was DOA right out of the box.
Ive returned it..and watched them stick an Open Box sticker on it and
put it back on the shelf.

Gunner