Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default leakdown test kit, where to get?

anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where to
get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where to
get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Try any auto parts store. They sell a combination pressure/vacuum gauge and
a little hand vacuum pump, both general purpose tools for a variety of
diagnostic/maintenance functions.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 03:14:06 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where to
get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Horrible Fright has a cheep leakdown tester, don't think it does
vacuum tho............

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where to
get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Easy to build. Blank off both intake and exhaust, put a pressure gauge
(0-10psi is good) on one blank. Make a fitting for the sparkplug hole
(from an old sparkplug!) with a schraeder fitting. Use a bicycle pump to
pressurize to about 6psi (no more!). Pressure should hold, or drop less
than 1/2 psi in a minute. If it doesn't, go looking for the leak with a
bit of soapy water and a paintbrush. Same setup with a gauge that will
read neg pressure will work for a vacuum. (take the core out of the
valve stem though)

Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.
Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where to
get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Try Aircraftspruce.com

Standard tool for 2-stroke ultralight engines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where
to get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Try Aircraftspruce.com

Standard tool for 2-stroke ultralight engines.

wow, that's depressing, and i had my hopes up.

CAM CORRECT PRESS/VAC TESTER 12-00739 $229.95

almost as much as a brand new chainsaw.
thanks anyhow.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
et...

Try any auto parts store. They sell a combination pressure/vacuum gauge
and
a little hand vacuum pump, both general purpose tools for a variety of
diagnostic/maintenance functions.

Jerry

thanks Jerry, i guess that's what i'm gonna have to rig up.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Snell" wrote in message

Easy to build. Blank off both intake and exhaust, put a pressure gauge
(0-10psi is good) on one blank. Make a fitting for the sparkplug hole
(from an old sparkplug!) with a schraeder fitting. Use a bicycle pump to
pressurize to about 6psi (no more!). Pressure should hold, or drop less
than 1/2 psi in a minute. If it doesn't, go looking for the leak with a
bit of soapy water and a paintbrush. Same setup with a gauge that will
read neg pressure will work for a vacuum. (take the core out of the valve
stem though)

Pete

thanks Pete.
i've done a leakdown test before, i rigged up a leakdown tester years ago
for a Cuyuna 430 2 stroke, but the repair manual only asked me to do a
pressure test, not a vacuum test (like the stihl handbook is), i
didn't(/don't) know where to get a vacuum pump and a gauge that reads
vacuum, i mean, for less than the $229 aircraft spruce is asking for theirs.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

"Pete Snell" wrote in message

[...]

I think HF has a vacuum pump/gage kit. It was on sale in one of the last
catalogs.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

thanks Pete.
i've done a leakdown test before, i rigged up a leakdown tester years ago
for a Cuyuna 430 2 stroke, but the repair manual only asked me to do a
pressure test, not a vacuum test (like the stihl handbook is), i
didn't(/don't) know where to get a vacuum pump and a gauge that reads
vacuum, i mean, for less than the $229 aircraft spruce is asking for theirs.

One of these; http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpo.asp or
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3660-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B000EVYGXC
should work with the setup I mentioned previously.

Cheap too.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

A lie gets halfway around the world before the
truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:03:36 -0800, Pilgrim
wrote:

I think HF has a vacuum pump/gage kit. It was on sale in one of the last
catalogs.

Chuck P.

Yes they do, two of them that would probably work okay. At
least for one job/repair ;-)

MITYVAC VACUUM PUMP

MAKES BRAKE-BLEEDING A ONE-PERSON JOB!
This amazingly useful pump comes complete with instructions
and accessories for over a dozen automotive tests and
service operations. English and Spanish.
Bleed brakes with one hand and no spills
Test distributor vacuum, power brakes, carburetor chokes
Diagnose problems in air conditioner and heater controls
Some tests may require other Mityvac® accessoriesnot
included with this kit; Weight: 1 lb.

Mityvac# 07000
ITEM 39522-8VGA
$36.99

BRAKE BLEEDER & VACUUM PUMP KIT

Easily bleed brakes by yourself
Test automotive vacuum systems
Works on all vehicle makes and models
0-30 inches Hg, 0-76 cm Hg
Includes pump with vacuum gauge, two 2 ft. lengths of
tubing, vacuum adapters, brake bleeder adapters, brake fluid
reservoir

ITEM 92474-5VGA
$25.99

Let us know how you come out with this.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:59:24 -0500, Pete Snell wrote:

William Wixon wrote:

thanks Pete.
i've done a leakdown test before, i rigged up a leakdown tester years ago
for a Cuyuna 430 2 stroke, but the repair manual only asked me to do a
pressure test, not a vacuum test (like the stihl handbook is), i
didn't(/don't) know where to get a vacuum pump and a gauge that reads
vacuum, i mean, for less than the $229 aircraft spruce is asking for theirs.

One of these; http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpo.asp or
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3660-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B000EVYGXC
should work with the setup I mentioned previously.

Cheap too.

Pete

Don't auto tool shops still sell those pressure/vacume gages that
every mechanic used to carry to check intake manifold vacuum and fuel
pump pressure? As I remember it they were pretty cheap.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anybody know where to get a inexpensive leakdown tester for a two stroke
engine? in my sthil (026 chainsaw) manual they also call for a vacuum
pressure test too on the crankcase, how about that? anybody know where
to get a inexpensive leak down kit that also does vacuum?

Try Aircraftspruce.com

Standard tool for 2-stroke ultralight engines.

wow, that's depressing, and i had my hopes up.

CAM CORRECT PRESS/VAC TESTER 12-00739 $229.95

How does $69.50 sound....

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/STR-CLT2PB.html

My mechanic turned me on to this place for tools...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

How does $69.50 sound....

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/STR-CLT2PB.html

My mechanic turned me on to this place for tools...

I've got to warn you that this isn't the tool you want to do a
leakdown test on a 2-stroke engine. The pressure it uses is far too
high, and you would probably end up popping the crankseals out of your
engine. These types of leakdown testers are used in 4-stroke engines,
where you're just checking the integrity of the combustion space. On a
two stroke, you're also checking the crankcase and intake tract
integrity, usually with about 6psi max. The leak tester in the link
attaches directly to your air compressor, and will pressurize the
crankcase of your 2-stroke far above what it would normally see.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

test Ken Woodworking 2 July 20th 06 12:09 AM
test Scott Woodworking 2 June 28th 06 05:26 AM
FWW Cabinet Saw Test [2/3] - "FWW Cabinet Saw Test.pdf.par2" yEnc (1/1) BobS Woodworking 1 August 25th 05 03:36 AM
FWW Cabinet Saw Test [1/3] - "FWW Cabinet Saw Test.pdf" yEnc (1/5) D Steck Woodworking 0 August 24th 05 11:52 PM