Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default see this?

|-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: |-
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please stop posting porn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 02:46:40 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

wrote: |-
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please stop posting porn.

Yup. As though those who want to find porn need some spammer's help.
Sheesh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 2:46 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
wrote: |-

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please stop posting porn.

Who said it was porn? My post was actually a test for myself to see
if the vertical bar character would appear on Google groups (now I
know it does). The fact that I chose your site for my test was pure
chance (and I apologize for the inconvenience). FYI, the symbol |- is
about as far away from porn as you can get -- it's called the
"turnstile" symbol, and it's used extensively in mathematical logic.
I'm afraid that your knee-jerk reaction interpreting my harmless logic
symbol as porn is only reflective of your own dirty mind sir!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to :
On Nov 6, 2:46 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
wrote: |-

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please stop posting porn.

Who said it was porn? My post was actually a test for myself to see
if the vertical bar character would appear on Google groups (now I
know it does).

Who said that this was "Google groups"? You may have *posted*
it to Google groups, but that is gatewayed into usenet newsgroups, a
much more wide-spread set of servers than just Google. And -- they are
scattered all around the world. The newsgroup in question is
rec.crafts.metalworking, if your Google Groups interface is hiding that
from you.

The fact that I chose your site for my test was pure
chance

It is not a "site". It is thousands of news servers scattered
all around the world, and one copy of your "test" is stored in each and
every one of those servers wasting space until the individual (and
differing) expire times elapse on each site.

(and I apologize for the inconvenience). FYI, the symbol |- is
about as far away from porn as you can get -- it's called the
"turnstile" symbol, and it's used extensively in mathematical logic.

So -- why did you not pick a newsgroup which specializes in
mathematical logic instead of one dealing with metalworking.

And the vertical bar is part of the standard 7-bit ASCII
characterset, so the only way that even Google would prohibit it would
be if it confused its HTML display of newsgroups. (Usenet newsgroups
are plain 7-bit ASCII for the most part -- and that is the only
characterset which can be trusted to work on *all* systems reading the
newsgroups -- including ones using plain ASCII terminals remote from the
computer acting as news server.

I'm afraid that your knee-jerk reaction interpreting my harmless logic
symbol as porn is only reflective of your own dirty mind sir!

There are test newsgroups for testing. A quick check of the
"active" file from my news server (news.newsguy.com) says that there are
currently 931 test newsgroups. (And I would *hope* that there are also
private Google groups (*not* gatewayed to usenet) which also serve as
test groups.

Anything off-topic posted without good explanation is presumed
to be some form of spam. We've been having a lot of problems with spams
from China trying to sell clothing and sports shoes, others from India
trying to sell anything (including jobs), and all unrelated to the topic
of the newsgroup.

And *much* spam is being posted through Google to usenet, so the
normal reaction to anything strange posted through Google is that it is
spam.

So -- please learn what usenet is, and what is appropriate
behavior there. Posting a test to a newsgroup which you don't care
about, for a totally unrelated purpose is not appropriate behavior.

Thank you,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: (clip) I'm afraid that your knee-jerk
reaction interpreting my harmless logic
symbol as porn is only reflective of your own dirty mind sir!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, yeah? YOU'RE the one who posted the dirty picture.

I know some mathematicians with a good sense of humor. Now I know of one
without it.

Please do not respond. This is only a test.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 7, 1:20 am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
wrote: (clip) I'm afraid that your knee-jerk

reaction interpreting my harmless logic symbol as porn is only reflective of your own dirty mind sir!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, yeah? YOU'RE the one who posted the dirty picture.

Really? Just what picture are you referring to??? *All* I posted was
a vertical bar followed by a dash, which, as I already explained, was
intended as a turnstile. It's *you* who referred to it as "porn"!

I know some mathematicians with a good sense of humor. Now I know of one
without it.

Well I'm not sure about that, but I think I can honestly say I now
know of a metalworker without a sense of humor!

Please do not respond. This is only a test.

Oh, please stop! You're just too damn clever for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo wrote: Oh, yeah? YOU'RE the one who posted the dirty picture.

Gradeexrex wrote: (clip) Really? Just what picture are you referring to???
*All* I posted was a vertical bar followed by a dash, which, as I already
explained, was intended as a turnstile. It's *you* who referred to it as
"porn"! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Leo replies: I was referring to a joke, which you evidently haven't heard:
A patient in a mental institution is being examined by a psychiatrist, who
has shown him a series of Rorschalk cards. The patient describes each one
in turn as being a couple engaged in some sort of sexual activity. Finally,
the psychiatrist says, "It is my opinion that you are excessively
preoccupied with sex." To which the patient responds, "Oh yeah? YOU'RE the
one with all the dirty pictures."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 7, 4:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
Leo wrote: Oh, yeah? YOU'RE the one who posted the dirty picture.

Gradeexrex wrote: (clip) Really? Just what picture are you referring to???

*All* I posted was a vertical bar followed by a dash, which, as I already
explained, was intended as a turnstile. It's *you* who referred to it as
"porn"! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Leo replies: I was referring to a joke, which you evidently haven't heard:
A patient in a mental institution is being examined by a psychiatrist, who
has shown him a series of Rorschalk cards. The patient describes each one
in turn as being a couple engaged in some sort of sexual activity. Finally,
the psychiatrist says, "It is my opinion that you are excessively
preoccupied with sex." To which the patient responds, "Oh yeah? YOU'RE the
one with all the dirty pictures."

Ah, so you're a patient in a mental institution... that explains
everything
Once again my apologies to all for the errant post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote : Ah, so you're a patient in a mental
institution... that explains
everything
Once again my apologies to all for the errant post.

How did you guess? I was pretending it was a joke. BTW, could you send me
some cigarettes?

No apology necessary. Errant posts are just about all I get to read in
here.