Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shear and moment diagrams

I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of
Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some
point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic definitions
and material that requires substantial background. In the latter
category, they've suddenly launched into shear and moment diagrams
with no explanation of just what the diagram is visualizing.

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of
Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some
point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic definitions
and material that requires substantial background. In the latter
category, they've suddenly launched into shear and moment diagrams
with no explanation of just what the diagram is visualizing.

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?

Pick a college statics text from about the same era as your book?

I don't have my statics book anymore or I'd cite it. It was a good one.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of
Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some
point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic definitions
and material that requires substantial background. In the latter
category, they've suddenly launched into shear and moment diagrams
with no explanation of just what the diagram is visualizing.

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?

Trailers: How to Design and Build vol. 2 structure explains moment
diagrams if your library has a copy. If not it is a nice book for the
home library.

BTW its author is M.M. Smith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12 Oct 2007 09:20:43 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:
shear and moment diagrams

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?

This looks like a good explanation.
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...r_Bending.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all who've responded so far -- lots of good information out
there. Especially good is a link from the roymech site to
http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Mate.../0/statics.pdf
Looks like this latter is part of a course....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:21:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Bill
quickly quoth:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of
Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some
point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic definitions
and material that requires substantial background. In the latter
category, they've suddenly launched into shear and moment diagrams
with no explanation of just what the diagram is visualizing.

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?

Trailers: How to Design and Build vol. 2 structure explains moment
diagrams if your library has a copy. If not it is a nice book for the
home library.

You like that book? Most of the Amazon reviews give it one star and
review it quite harshly. I decided not to buy it because of them.

--
Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you.
-- Harold Bloom, O Magazine, April 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of
Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some
point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic definitions
and material that requires substantial background. In the latter
category, they've suddenly launched into shear and moment diagrams
with no explanation of just what the diagram is visualizing.

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?

The shear diagram is deisgned to help visuallize the total forces on a beam,
which are sometimes not obvious. The moment diagram helps visualize the
magnatide and location of the bending moment on the beam. The maximum
moment (and therefore the maximum bending stress) is located where the shear
diagram changes sign. The power of the diagrams comes when you have several
externally applied forces and moments on a beam.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I'm working my way through the eighth edition of "Simplified Design of
Steel Structures" by Ambrose and Tripeny (Parker having died at some
point), and I'm finding it to be an odd mix of very basic definitions
and material that requires substantial background. In the latter
category, they've suddenly launched into shear and moment diagrams
with no explanation of just what the diagram is visualizing.

Can somebody point me at a good source for this?

Trailers: How to Design and Build vol. 2 structure explains moment
diagrams if your library has a copy. If not it is a nice book for the
home library.

You like that book? Most of the Amazon reviews give it one star and
review it quite harshly. I decided not to buy it because of them.

People think that it is going to have trailer designs in it. It doesnt.
But it does tell you how to design a trailer and what forces are acting
on it. But it also has a bit of higher math in it. I think that is why
people give it a bad review.

A MOMENT OF SILENCE, PLEASE.... MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 9 November 1st 06 11:29 AM
Duh moment Mike Richardson Woodworking 2 November 23rd 05 12:51 AM
A Tylenol moment Gunner Metalworking 13 September 1st 04 06:23 AM
FS: Roper Whitney Kick Punch, Circle Shear, Libert Shear Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 August 17th 03 12:56 PM