DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Adhesives for aluminum? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/216528-adhesives-aluminum.html)

Louis Ohland October 5th 07 12:56 AM

Adhesives for aluminum?

I want to mount a digital scale to a length of aluminum, but I'd
like to have about a quarter inch segment to drill and tap for the scale
mounting clamps.

What kind of adhesive would bond 6061 aluminum?

Wild_Bill October 5th 07 06:19 PM

Adhesives for aluminum?

You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on
9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that topic.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Louis Ohland October 5th 07 06:47 PM

Adhesives for aluminum?

Wild_Bill wrote:
You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on
9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that topic.

You're right about only the first few...

Who carries this?
Lord #406-19

Jim Stewart October 5th 07 07:36 PM

Adhesives for aluminum?

http://ellsworth.com/display/product...7&Tab=Products

Paul K. Dickman October 5th 07 07:39 PM

Adhesives for aluminum?

Wild_Bill wrote:
You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on
9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that
topic.

You're right about only the first few...

Who carries this?
Lord #406-19

McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...CtlgPgNbr=3292

The key is surface area. You need enough area for the glue to resist being
pried away.
It comes in a ratio pack tube without a plunger, so you really need the
dispenser gun to get a good mix.

It adds a lot to the initial cost, so it is best if have more than a little
bit of gluing to do.

You can try mixing by eye, but I suggest using one of their slower setting
formulation (406-19 has a working time of
6-10 min).

Paul K. Dickman