Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adhesives for aluminum?

I want to mount a digital scale to a length of aluminum, but I'd
like to have about a quarter inch segment to drill and tap for the scale
mounting clamps.

What kind of adhesive would bond 6061 aluminum?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on
9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that topic.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
I want to mount a digital scale to a length of aluminum, but I'd like
to have about a quarter inch segment to drill and tap for the scale
mounting clamps.

What kind of adhesive would bond 6061 aluminum?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on
9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that topic.

You're right about only the first few...

Who carries this?
Lord #406-19
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:
You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion
on 9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that
topic.

You're right about only the first few...

Who carries this?
Lord #406-19

http://ellsworth.com/display/product...7&Tab=Products
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on
9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that
topic.

You're right about only the first few...

Who carries this?
Lord #406-19

McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...CtlgPgNbr=3292

The key is surface area. You need enough area for the glue to resist being
pried away.
It comes in a ratio pack tube without a plunger, so you really need the
dispenser gun to get a good mix.

It adds a lot to the initial cost, so it is best if have more than a little
bit of gluing to do.

You can try mixing by eye, but I suggest using one of their slower setting
formulation (406-19 has a working time of
6-10 min).

Paul K. Dickman

suggestions for adhesives to use on Ipe marc rosen Woodworking 3 May 24th 07 06:40 PM
adhesives FAQ Dave Fawthrop UK diy 7 August 19th 06 01:04 PM
Adhesives Cicero UK diy 0 July 17th 06 10:58 AM
Adhesives question Ledz Woodworking 12 October 9th 05 06:42 PM
Wood Adhesives Dan O'Connor Woodworking 13 October 17th 03 12:50 PM