Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to re-harden small vice jaws?

Hi all,

At a recent watchmaker's fair I bought a small vice. Old, in bad shape, but
better than anything I've got at the moment. The thing actually cracked in
half somewhere in its lifetime and was welded back together by someone with
a very big welding machine. The problem was that the jaws were not parallel
properly after that; there was a .7 mm gap on one side.

I've annealed the jaws and filed and sanded them back into shape. They close
well now, and are beautifully straight, smooth and polished, just as I
wanted.

My question: how can I best re-harden them? The jaws are only 6 cm wide, but
I'm only used to working with tiny pieces of steel to make watch components
or small tools. Can I just heat to cherry red and quench in oil? And then
temper by re-polishing and heating to some colour (blue, for example)?

I only have a torch, no kiln or something like that.

Cheers!

Rob

Concrete wont harden [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 11th 07 08:43 AM
Vice - Wooden Jaws DLB Woodworking 11 March 13th 07 12:01 PM
Super Jaws portable professional vice, workbench and Press. MrBlueSkye UK diy 15 May 12th 05 10:40 PM
Stanley v. Harden [email protected] Woodworking 2 February 20th 05 06:37 PM
Harden v. Stanley [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 20th 05 03:18 AM