Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default non-standard bronze bushings - "building up their bores" using unconventional methods (pix online)

I'm overhauling my old Sasgen Derrick spur-geared winch. parts are no
longer available for it - the company closed recently, after over a
hundred years in business in Chicago. the two 1.125 diameter shafts ride
in (what I call) "eared bronze bushings" or "externally keyed bronze
bushings", all four of which are badly worn - I'll need to either
replace (which seems unlikely) or 'refurbish' those STRANGE bushings,
somehow or another.

I'm considering a few (possibly bizarre) approaches, and I'd also
appreciate any ideas *you* have on how to best accomplish the goal.
'best' here defined as 'most bang for the least buck'. especially please
see this image (and the caption below it), and the four images or so
immediately following it, which should clearly illustrate the problem.

http://machines.pandela.net/sasgen_w...s/photo37.html

thanks for ideas and tips,

How about using a standard round bushing, slightly oversized. Press it
in, ream or burnish it to size on the ID... Keep a "lip" on one size
and and then use a shaft collar or maybe pressed-on bearing to hold the
bushing in place from the other side / laterally since it looks as if
that pin keeps it from sliding in and/or out? It shouldn't spin in the
housing... We don't pin, key or even set-screw ours in place and we
stroke a quill against them 24/7 on production drills. No movement.

It looks as if the keyway of sorts was put in to keep it from spinning...
Stabilization. I'd think there were other ways to stabilize it.

Or... How about re-working it so that the housing and shaft simply use a
standard roller bearing? You might have to be creative to keep it in the
housing as I'd be real careful pressing anything into that bore, but it
might work well for you...

Or... Open the ID of the existing bronze, press in a new piece of bronze
tube as a liner to get the proper OD for the reworked shaft diameters?
Maybe use AluminumBronze for a harder surface that is still softer than the
steel shafts?

Is that solid bronze or oil-filled stuff?

If it is oil-filled, you can forget making anything stick to it unless it is
pressed in, threaded in, etc. Even then, it's a weak(ish) material that
doesn't hold "stuff" well.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.