DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Say goodbuy to home shops (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/212461-say-goodbuy-home-shops.html)

azotic August 27th 07 10:42 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Larry Jaques August 27th 07 11:38 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:42:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"azotic" quickly quoth:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?
Socialized color schemes and coordinated lawn colors aren't far off,
are they?

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life

azotic August 28th 07 12:35 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:42:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"azotic" quickly quoth:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?
Socialized color schemes and coordinated lawn colors aren't far off,
are they?

Get used to it, freedom of choice is no longer in fashion.

Best Regards
Tom.

Ignoramus3635 August 28th 07 01:27 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

People are ready to sell their soul to the devil and suffer a
lifetime of nonsensical inconveniences (and impose same on their
neighbors) so that they can get a few thousand more for their
homes ("home values"). It is ridiculous.

So what if someone has a refrigerator in their front yard. I
personally would not care too much.

Too_Many_Tools August 28th 07 01:33 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....070827/NEWS01/...

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?
Socialized color schemes and coordinated lawn colors aren't far off,
are they?

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Egad, what's this country coming to?
Socialized color schemes and coordinated lawn colors aren't far off,
are they?

LOL...I know of neighborhoods where that is the REQUIRED norm.

Ignore their rules at your own risk....they have the power to
foreclose on your home...and they do.

And I also don't live there...and NEVER will.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools August 28th 07 01:49 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Aug 27, 7:33 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Aug 27, 5:38 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

TMT- Hide quoted text -

"pocket-Nazi's."

I like that term....and I have known a few also.

Always a PITA to live next to....and they are ALWAYS worrying about
their neighbor's business.

They are the kiss of death to a HSMer.

TMT

Ed Huntress August 28th 07 01:51 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"Ignoramus3635" wrote in message
People are ready to sell their soul to the devil and suffer a
lifetime of nonsensical inconveniences (and impose same on their
neighbors) so that they can get a few thousand more for their
homes ("home values"). It is ridiculous.

So what if someone has a refrigerator in their front yard. I
personally would not care too much.

It's the washing machine and the pigs running out the front door that get to
me. Short of that, just keep the poison ivy from running into my yard and
I'm happy.

--
Ed Huntress

Too_Many_Tools August 28th 07 02:14 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

wrote:

[...]

One of the readers had a good point...

"As someone who is/was planning to move to Ft.Collins in the near
future, I am very concerned that could even be considered. I would
look specifically for homes without HOA's.

I know HOA are popular; many people really believe that HOA improve
thier future property value. I believe that by giving away some of
these rights in the Property ownership you will in fact,decrease the
value of the Property.

I totaly agree with Harold
If HOAa are so wonderful, why do real estate ads scream NO HOA when
advertising a non HOA home for sale? Do you ever see a real estate ad
even mentioning that the home is in an HOA?"

A very good point...I have seen ads that mention "NO HOA" but none
that advertise it as a selling point.

Now the other viewpoint is that a HSM could get on the board and
require each home to have a fully equiped shop....then one would have
someone to borrow tools from. ;)

TMT

Too_Many_Tools August 28th 07 02:18 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Aug 27, 7:51 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Ignoramus3635" wrote in message

People are ready to sell their soul to the devil and suffer a
lifetime of nonsensical inconveniences (and impose same on their
neighbors) so that they can get a few thousand more for their
homes ("home values"). It is ridiculous.

So what if someone has a refrigerator in their front yard. I
personally would not care too much.

It's the washing machine and the pigs running out the front door that get to
me. Short of that, just keep the poison ivy from running into my yard and
I'm happy.

--
Ed Huntress

Ah but Ed...you could use the neighbor's washing machine and their hog
of today could be your bacon of tomorrow. ;)

TMT

Half-Nutz August 28th 07 02:19 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

wrote:

[...]

Unless you are selling, or financing Past your ability to support, WHY
would you want you property values to rise?
It is just another form of tax increase.

Trevor Jones August 28th 07 02:36 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

azotic wrote:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

That smell!

It smells like...

A House Fire!

At the place with the really nice lawn!!

I'm sure it'll happen.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Tony August 28th 07 02:41 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

I don't see anything in this article about home shops, or even what codes
they are trying to enforce.

I know Colorado is having an illegal immigration problem like many areas,
and this may be an attempt to have stricter enforcement of occupancy laws.
For instances a landlord rents a single family house out to 25 illegals
packed in the basemment, and uses the rent to pay off his mortgage.

Tony

John August 28th 07 02:45 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Aug 27, 7:51 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Ignoramus3635" wrote in message

People are ready to sell their soul to the devil and suffer a
lifetime of nonsensical inconveniences (and impose same on their
neighbors) so that they can get a few thousand more for their
homes ("home values"). It is ridiculous.

So what if someone has a refrigerator in their front yard. I
personally would not care too much.

It's the washing machine and the pigs running out the front door that get to
me. Short of that, just keep the poison ivy from running into my yard and
I'm happy.

--
Ed Huntress

Ah but Ed...you could use the neighbor's washing machine and their hog
of today could be your bacon of tomorrow. ;)

TMT

As long as they invite you to the pig roast........if not have your own
and invite one of your neighbors pigs to the roast.

I wonder how many pot bellyed pigs wound up in the pot?

John

Mike Henry August 28th 07 03:27 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"azotic" wrote in message
The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Was there something specific in that article about home shops? If so I
missed it.

We live in a townhome in a pretty nice area and I've had zero complaints
from neighbors on any of the tools in use in my home shop, including a
medium-sized CNC mill that can make a bit of noise late evenings. The HOA
pays for outside maintenance which leaves me more time in the shop - seems
like a fair trade to me.

Mike

cavelamb himself[_4_] August 28th 07 04:08 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

This is NOT the land of the Monroe Doctrine anymore.
Manifest Destiny has come (and gone).

You didn't really think this religious war was about religion, did you?

Too_Many_Tools August 28th 07 04:14 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Aug 27, 9:27 pm, "Mike Henry" wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....070827/NEWS01/...

Best Regards
Tom.

Was there something specific in that article about home shops? If so I
missed it.

We live in a townhome in a pretty nice area and I've had zero complaints
from neighbors on any of the tools in use in my home shop, including a
medium-sized CNC mill that can make a bit of noise late evenings. The HOA
pays for outside maintenance which leaves me more time in the shop - seems
like a fair trade to me.

Mike

I think it is a fair trade also...if that were all that would
happen...much more could.

Depending on how the HOA is written up, they can control much of what
you do within your walls.

And most HOAs are written so that if you ignore them, they can in the
end evict you and seize your townhouse.

TMT

Jon Elson August 28th 07 04:29 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

cavelamb himself wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

Wh - wh - WHAT?? Last time I looked, it was just 300 million!
Check http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html but maybe
that is just government propaganda.

Jon

azotic August 28th 07 04:54 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"azotic" wrote in message
The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Was there something specific in that article about home shops? If so I
missed it.

We live in a townhome in a pretty nice area and I've had zero complaints
from neighbors on any of the tools in use in my home shop, including a
medium-sized CNC mill that can make a bit of noise late evenings. The HOA
pays for outside maintenance which leaves me more time in the shop - seems
like a fair trade to me.

Mike

Your very fortunate to live in a HOA where the CCR's don't pohibit you from
having
a shop in your home. When i was house hunting all the HOA controlled homes i
was
offered had CCR's that strictley prohibit a home shop.

Best Regards
Tom.

azotic August 28th 07 05:11 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Depending on how the HOA is written up, they can control much of what
you do within your walls.

And most HOAs are written so that if you ignore them, they can in the
end evict you and seize your townhouse.

TMT

When i was house hunting i read some CCR's that allowed the HOA to
actually inspect the inside of your house if they so desire. The typical
HOA home is nothing more than a guilded cage.

Best Regards
Tom.

Gunner[_2_] August 28th 07 06:40 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:42:29 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Did you know that a couple gallons of used motor oil poured into a
swimming pool, really really ****s things up for the owner?

A water balloon tossed out a car window, the contents of the balloon
being RoundUP, can really make a unique work of art out of an assholes
prized yard?

There are lots of ways to express displeasure with your neighbors,
indluding the Tribullchet of styrofoam disolved in gasoline....

azotic August 28th 07 08:01 AM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:42:29 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/708270318

Best Regards
Tom.

Did you know that a couple gallons of used motor oil poured into a
swimming pool, really really ****s things up for the owner?

A water balloon tossed out a car window, the contents of the balloon
being RoundUP, can really make a unique work of art out of an assholes
prized yard?

There are lots of ways to express displeasure with your neighbors,
indluding the Tribullchet of styrofoam disolved in gasoline....

Better living thru chemistry.

Best Regards
Tom.

Peter[_3_] August 28th 07 12:03 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

In England it has even been mooted that the ownership of
lathes might be subject to police approval because of
their use to bore out the barrels of illegal guns.

What I don't understand is why the ownership of
kitchen knives is not also so subject?

Nick Hull August 28th 07 12:53 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

In article ,
"azotic" wrote:

Did you know that a couple gallons of used motor oil poured into a
swimming pool, really really ****s things up for the owner?

A water balloon tossed out a car window, the contents of the balloon
being RoundUP, can really make a unique work of art out of an assholes
prized yard?

There are lots of ways to express displeasure with your neighbors,
indluding the Tribullchet of styrofoam disolved in gasoline....

Better living thru chemistry.

Better revenge thru chemistry ;)

Larry Jaques August 28th 07 01:33 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:29:38 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon
Elson quickly quoth:

cavelamb himself wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

Wh - wh - WHAT?? Last time I looked, it was just 300 million!
Check http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html but maybe
that is just government propaganda.

Maybe the illustrious Census Bureau finally got serious and started
counting illegal aliens, too.

Lew Hartswick August 28th 07 01:41 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Jon Elson wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

Wh - wh - WHAT?? Last time I looked, it was just 300 million!
Check http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html but maybe that is
just government propaganda.

Jon

Yes but you arent counting all the illegal aliens. :-) maybe :-(
...lew...

Larry Jaques August 28th 07 01:42 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:03:41 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Peter" quickly quoth:

In England it has even been mooted that the ownership of
lathes might be subject to police approval because of
their use to bore out the barrels of illegal guns.

What I don't understand is why the ownership of
kitchen knives is not also so subject?

It IS! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

And swords, meat cleavers, axes, and machetes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/4788881.stm

And now GLASSES in pubs!
http://my.opera.com/whoisjohngalt/blog/show.dml/282061

UKers must feel SOOO SAFE nowadays...

Lew Hartswick August 28th 07 01:42 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

cavelamb himself wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

Wh - wh - WHAT?? Last time I looked, it was just 300 million!
Check http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html but maybe
that is just government propaganda.

Maybe the illustrious Census Bureau finally got serious and started
counting illegal aliens, too.

Shucks you beat me to it.
...lew...

Stupendous Man August 28th 07 01:49 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Now the other viewpoint is that a HSM could get on the board and
require each home to have a fully equiped shop....then one would have
someone to borrow tools from. ;)

There you go!
"I'm sorry, sir, but you don't have enough old cars in your "ornamental
garden"".
It astounds me that people move to my area of the Sierras and move into a
gated zone with yard police.
First, they cut down the trees, then they build a big house, plant a lawn,
put up fences to keep the animals out, floodlamps to chase away the stars,
then they start whining about eveyone else's places and pester the
politicians. Or worse, run for office.

--
Stupendous Man,

Too_Many_Tools August 28th 07 01:57 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

wrote:

[...]

It is just another form of tax increase.- Hide quoted text -

Unless you are selling, or financing Past your ability to support, WHY
would you want you property values to rise?
It is just another form of tax increase.- Hide quoted text -

Because people take second mortgages out on that increased property
value to spend on toys.

And that is what has been propping up the Bush economy these last few
years.

Sit back and watch what is going to happen soon to the economy when
people can't borrow against their house's increasing values. My banker
tells me that he has had many very mad and desperate people in his
office when they find out they can't get any more money out of the old
homestead.

You are right that it is another form of tax increase which local
governments have been quick to take advantage of.

Now that house prices are dropping like a rock, those high property
taxes will be around for quite awhile....and the owners will be stuck
paying them for a house that is much less than what they paid for it.

In the right neighborhoods, one will be able to buy two houses for the
price of one...one to live in and the other to put your retirement
shop in.

TMT

Brent August 28th 07 03:22 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Aug 27, 10:27 pm, "Mike Henry" wrote:
"azotic" wrote in message

The article in the link is of concern to anyone with a home shop. If
you have a neighbor thats a pain in the ass now just wait till he has the
power he so desires to run your life with the full force of the law
to back him up.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....070827/NEWS01/...

Best Regards
Tom.

Was there something specific in that article about home shops? If so I
missed it.

We live in a townhome in a pretty nice area and I've had zero complaints
from neighbors on any of the tools in use in my home shop, including a
medium-sized CNC mill that can make a bit of noise late evenings. The HOA
pays for outside maintenance which leaves me more time in the shop - seems
like a fair trade to me.

Mike

Its a "power corrupts" concern. You may have an excellent HOA for now
who respect your privacy but the other problem is a few bad apples on
the HOA's committee with no common sense or skills sense or an
elevated sense of danger can whittle around the rules to suppress home
shops or to allow inside searches or to eventually use helicopter to
incspect the neighbours yards.

You cant just "opt out" of the HOA and their rules can be gradually
nudged though HOA meetings where a 2/3 majority in the meeting
(Attended by less than of 10% of the homeowers) could push an unwanted
chage to most of your community.

Dontg et me wrorng i'm not a big fan of the abandoned car on blocks
int he front yard, and for now i'm that neighbour with the abandoned
tv thats too big for garbage pickup and the shipping container in need
of cleaning arriving today (But i will be getting a dumpster down here
this fall to get most of my crap out

Larry Jaques August 28th 07 03:38 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:22:14 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Brent quickly quoth:

"azotic" wrote in message

[...]

Helicopters are already in use by city/county governments here in the
USA. I kiddingly showed the black helicopter in the field next to my
old home when that thread came up here last year. Cities are using
chopper surveilance to pick up tax evasion. Build that new shop
without a permit or tax audit? Busted!

You cant just "opt out" of the HOA and their rules can be gradually
nudged though HOA meetings where a 2/3 majority in the meeting
(Attended by less than of 10% of the homeowers) could push an unwanted
chage to most of your community.

That's scary, isn't it? The fewer the voters we get each year could
soon stink from that same effect.

Dontg et me wrorng i'm not a big fan of the abandoned car on blocks
int he front yard, and for now i'm that neighbour with the abandoned
tv thats too big for garbage pickup

Freecycle it. www.freecycle.org But a word of caution about that:
Our local Freecycle group just bailed from Freecycle's auspices due to
their wanting to collect email addresses and other data for some
unknown reason. We're now Rogue Valley Recyclers.

Jim Chandler August 28th 07 04:17 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

cavelamb himself wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

This is NOT the land of the Monroe Doctrine anymore.
Manifest Destiny has come (and gone).

You didn't really think this religious war was about religion, did you?

Correction. The population is just over 300 million. About one half of
your figure.

Jim

Gunner[_2_] August 28th 07 05:51 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

wrote:

[...]

Housing sales are dropping like a rock for two reasons..they got too
expensive to buy, even with "creative lending" so folks stopped
buying. Since the pool of buyers has started to shrink..the demand is
getting smaller so the prices started to come down, in hopes of
attracting buyers. A spiraling downwards cycle.

Housing prices were absurdly inflated because of folks desperately
wanting to buy a house before the prices got too high...and those
wanting to buy a house, sit on it as it appreciated and then dump and
run with the profits.

Neither tactic being condusive to long term strategy and simply became
a bidding war at a poorly run auction. Prices reached stratospheric
levels..and a bunch of buyers finally came to their senses and those
that had bought as a short term investment got a sudden shot of ****
to the heart when they realized they had more money in what they
bought, then they could get back out of it and had pawned the family
jewels with a loan shark (ARM) in the hopes of making a fast score and
walking away counting their profits.

Housing has been way way over started...large tracts built on hopes
that people would be flocking in to buy and make a fast rollover.
Much the same way industrial strip malls have been built..and you see
so many for sale/lease signs on a large percentage of them.

Another aspect not often discussed..is competition for housing due to
the immigrant issue.

Why stay in an older home in a neighborhood that is becoming part of
Mexico, when you can bail out, use the house for rental property and
the proceeds used to make the payments on a nice new big assed hip
slick and cool home far away at subprime rates, with the big rollover
profit in a few years. Whoops....
The illegal immigrant has been allowed to both rent or buy that home
because of greedy lenders and greedy sellers..and now that many
lenders and areas are NOT allowing illegals to rent or buy...that
portion of the housing equaition is starting to dry up as well.

We are indeed, living in interesting times.

People have asked why I choose to remain in a small, semi-dying town
rather than moving to the metro areas I work in.

I tell them that Im expecting the housing market to implode, Im living
in a house thats paid for and the property taxes are $450 a year and
will be safe and snug when the housing tracts are defaulted on,
property taxes are rising at magnitude rates and so forth.

My travel costs and related expenses like property taxes are still
half of what a single room studio apartment rental costs in the
city..and I have room for my toys.

Gunner

Fred the Red Shirt August 28th 07 06:15 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Aug 28, 1:41 am, "Tony" wrote:
I don't see anything in this article about home shops, or even what codes
they are trying to enforce.

I know Colorado is having an illegal immigration problem like many areas,
and this may be an attempt to have stricter enforcement of occupancy laws.
For instances a landlord rents a single family house out to 25 illegals
packed in the basemment, and uses the rent to pay off his mortgage.

That may be the stupidest evocation of the 'illegal immigrant threat'
I have heard all week.

I do not know of ANY municipality, village or even county that does
not have occupancy limits for housing. There is absolutely no
need for HOAs to address that issue, regardless of the citizenship
of the occupants.

--

FF

Gunner[_2_] August 28th 07 06:28 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:15:31 -0700, Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:

I do not know of ANY municipality, village or even county that does
not have occupancy limits for housing.

Yes and? How many are eforced?

I live in So. Cal...so dont try blowing smoke up our collective butts.

Gunner

Brent August 28th 07 09:00 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"azotic" wrote in message

[...]

Up here in canada some big cities use them at a policing level. Other
than the occasional threat of traffic enforcement what the have proven
MOST effective for if finding marijuana grow ops since the are
equipped with infrared cameras at night and the first law of
thermodynamics can often create unexplained heat signatures in places
where there shouldnt be (Why does the camera show that garage at 28C
when its only 10C outside and the house is closer to 20C.... HMMMM

The city has not used them for enforcement as far as i know but the
city does have aerial photos on file as public record

As for the TV I question whether i could even freecycle it off to
someone.

I'm an electronics tech by training and job and I Scrapped it as
unfixable I'd have to offer it to someoen as for parts because its
only fit to have its components desoldered. The only thing i HAVENT
done yet is to safely pressurize the tube to discard it

its a 40 inch CRT screen if it blows it will go off like a bomb unless
its done safely and here IS a Safe way to do it

RAM³ August 28th 07 09:57 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Gunner wrote in
:

People have asked why I choose to remain in a small, semi-dying town
rather than moving to the metro areas I work in.

I tell them that Im expecting the housing market to implode, Im living
in a house thats paid for and the property taxes are $450 a year and
will be safe and snug when the housing tracts are defaulted on,
property taxes are rising at magnitude rates and so forth.

People DO tend to forget the early '80s when the same situation held:
Bank/S&L failures through wide-scale depreciation of "creatively-financed"
housing that the buyers simply walked away from.

Some Subdivisions/"Housing Developments" have strict covenants that, in
some cases, seem to be intended to preserve the images in the original
developers' brochures rather than for any other purpose: specified roofing
materials, specified yard appearance, etc.

In the Quarter-Century since, a whole new generation of home-buyers has
entered the marketplace and, now, are learning the same old lessons about
such things as "adjustable-rate" (aka "Balloon-Payment") mortgages, petty-
minded HOA officials, and deed-enforced restrictions.

FWIW, I, too, am happy that my house is paid for and in a small rural
town...

Joe Pfeiffer August 28th 07 10:09 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

"RAM³" writes:

FWIW, I, too, am happy that my house is paid for and in a small rural
town...

Me too. My neighborhood actually has some covenants, which nobody
pays any real attention to, and no HOA has ever been formed, though
the covenants call for one. A few months ago, a neighbor asked me if
I'd mind if he put up an open carport (since they're banned). I
answered, "see that metal storage shed in my back yard?"

cavelamb himself[_4_] August 28th 07 10:33 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

Jim Chandler wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I can take one look at that ******* and know he wants something I
don't in a neighborhood. Egad, what's this country coming to?

I hate to break it to you this bluntly, Larry, but "this country"
is coming to the bitter end.

It's about too many people with too few necessary resources to share.
There are 650 somting million people in the U.S.

This is NOT the land of the Monroe Doctrine anymore.
Manifest Destiny has come (and gone).

You didn't really think this religious war was about religion, did you?

Correction. The population is just over 300 million. About one half of
your figure.

Jim

Ok, 300 citizens and a few "others".

Mark Rand August 28th 07 11:03 PM

Say goodbuy to home shops

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:42:09 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:03:41 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Peter" quickly quoth:

In England it has even been mooted that the ownership of
lathes might be subject to police approval because of
their use to bore out the barrels of illegal guns.

What I don't understand is why the ownership of
kitchen knives is not also so subject?

It IS! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

And swords, meat cleavers, axes, and machetes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/4788881.stm

And now GLASSES in pubs!
http://my.opera.com/whoisjohngalt/blog/show.dml/282061

UKers must feel SOOO SAFE nowadays...