Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Tools Patent Info - Thanks Leon - EMESS Metal Spray Tool Gun

The recent thread for Old Precision Tools contained a couple of very useful
links supplied by Leon F, thanks Leon.

I found a tool at a garage sale this summer and wasn't able to locate any
info about it (even though I tried searches and Goog patents before), until
I tried the links in Leon's reply to the other topic.
http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent.php?id=13093

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=39281

So, this tool looked like it was designed to spray body lead or solder, and
the info shows that it certainly was
http://www.google.com/patents?id=9Ot...BAJ&dq=2250783

Basic design is a handheld electrical heater with a cavity to melt the lead,
and a unique spray orfice for the lead to come out of, which is then sprayed
by compressed air, by attaching an air hose to the tool.
The handle has the patent number and the name EMESS (which I thought was a
spelling of M-S for metal spray), but are also the initials of the inventor.

The Goog results allow everything to be viewed (PDF format), where the uspto
site requires the installation of a downloaded viewer (I guess), and the
datamp.org site didn't have any info about the tool onsite, but provided a
link to the uspto site.

Kinda a neat old tool, patent filed 1939, and issued in 1941. I had made
some comments about this tool in an older post, as I'd seen this tool at the
same location at an earlier time, but didn't buy it then. When I saw it this
year, I got it, and have just assumed that I wasn't going to be able to find
any info regarding the age or exact intended use.

This is yet another instance of being grateful for the many
metalworking-related topics that I enjoy finding, and learning from, in the
RCM group.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:45:47 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

snip
The Goog results allow everything to be viewed (PDF format), where the uspto
site requires the installation of a downloaded viewer (I guess), and the
datamp.org site didn't have any info about the tool onsite, but provided a
link to the uspto site.

Hi WB,

I'm glad it helped you out. Rob (from "What is it?") clued
me into the Datamp site. It can be quite helpful at times.

The US Patent site has all of its older (pre 1976) patents
in tiff image format. If you just download the image and
save it as a .tiff (or .tif) file they can be viewed with
Irfanview, Xnview or use whatever your favorite graphics
viewer might be.

If you are at the US Patent site and sitting on their page
where you should be seeing an image, you can try this
Bookmarklet which should reveal the tif file link and make
it clickable (so you can save the tif file). Save everything
except the first greater than symbol as a bookmark. There
shouldn't be any returns, it is all on one long line.

====
javascript:eikE=document.getElementsByTagName('em bed');for(eikI=0,eikL='';eikIeikE.length;eikI++)w ith(eikE[eikI])eikL+=getAttribute('type').toLowerCase()==='image/tiff'?'[a href="'+getAttribute('src')+'"Link/a] '+getAttribute('src')+"\n":'';void(document.body.i nnerHTML+='p style="position:fixed;z-index:10;top:10em;left:20%;width:70%;background:#f f8;color:#000;font:menu;padding:1em;border:#000 solid 2px;"'+eikL+'/p')

====

You need to have java script (not Java) enabled and the page
in question already loaded/displayed. Then click on this
bookmark and the current page should be modified, revealing
the tif file link embedded in it. I've only tested this
using the Opera browser. Eik did the heavy work creating it
and I only made some slight mods to better suit me.

If all this has your head spinning, stick with the pdf
option at google (grin).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 11:16:45 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Thanks again Leon, although the bookmarklet is something that I'm completely
unfamiliar with, it's saved and I'll try using it.

WB

For some info and more on Bookmarklet's:

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/yuppi/links...kletlinks.html

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/

"Bookmarklets are free tools to help with repetitive or
otherwise impossible tasks in your web browser..."

You can do your own google for more if you find them useful.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:45:47 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
scribed:

[...]

Yup, Leon helped me on mine as you mentioned. Terrific site and great
direction from our friends in RCM. Kudos' all round.

Freddie