Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default When you don't have a working lathe you have to improvise.

I was trying to get the motor side pulley off of my Clausing 6903 to repair
the varidrive. Prying on it didn't get me anywhere and I really don't like
prying on this kind of things, it seems you always find the weakest link.

Well I had a great idea, the end of the pulley takes a bearing attached to a
slave cylinder to squeeze the sheaves together. I'll just turn a piece of
metal, thread it, and put it in the end and put the snap ring in to hold it.
A chunk of allthread and maybe some polite taps of the hammer will get it
off.

One problem. Only have one lathe and it is broken, it is 3 AM so going over
to uncles house to use his lathe might not go over well. What to do?

Well searching my meagar stock pile of metal found a 2" aluminum round. All
my round steel pieces where either 4-6" dia or too small to make a 1.375
disk.

So I put the 2" rod in my Bridgeport vise and milled a flat on both sides so
I could stand it up in the vise and use my boring head to OD turn followed
by drilling and taping for the allthread rod. Well it got it done but a
lathe would have been so much faster.

Then I needed to part it. At this point I was glad that I had used
aluminum. A quick trip to the chop saw using the blade I've cut alluminim
with before got that done.

The pulley came off quite easily.

The surface of it has damage from belt rub. Based on advice from the
clausing_lathe_and_mill group on yahoo I'm going to replace the green
coating with Moglice. http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/greencoating.jpg

Any tips on using moglice would be welcome.

Wes