Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tramming a Sieg X3

OK, now comes the fun part. There are no Bridgeport style adjustments
possible for the X3. So how is the head adjusted? I would think shimming
the column would not be the preferred solution...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 22, 8:52 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
OK, now comes the fun part. There are no Bridgeport style adjustments
possible for the X3. So how is the head adjusted? I would think shimming
the column would not be the preferred solution...

Louis - have you established that it needs tramming ? Mine is dead on,
from the factory.
You do have to resorts to shimming if it needs adjusting. Also, might
be tough to do, as
it is has dowel pins securing it in the factory-calibrated position.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I tend to start out very complex, and as time goes by, strip things
right down to the basics...

I did a sweep with a Zero-set and a test indicator, any variance was
probably exasperated by the angle. Looking at a back plunger dial
indicator set so I can get REAL readings.

The sweep hinted at less than 5 thousandths difference on the long
axis from one side of the sweep to the other.

Issues: Locking the head down would probably help, but with multiple
passes and changing the head height sorta makes me inclined not to use
the lock for every pass of the end mill.

The dowel pins on the head "plate" are placed parallel to the
dovetail plate and the head plate. It would be possible.

rashid111 wrote:
On Jul 22, 8:52 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
OK, now comes the fun part. There are no Bridgeport style adjustments
possible for the X3. So how is the head adjusted? I would think shimming
the column would not be the preferred solution...

Louis - have you established that it needs tramming ? Mine is dead on,
from the factory.
You do have to resorts to shimming if it needs adjusting. Also, might
be tough to do, as
it is has dowel pins securing it in the factory-calibrated position.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 22, 5:52 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
... I would think shimming
the column would not be the preferred solution...

Why not? That is how it is usually done.

Sieg X3 pondering Louis Ohland Metalworking 0 April 25th 06 11:10 PM
Tramming H Mill [email protected] Metalworking 3 January 29th 05 03:32 AM
tramming a mini mill Wet Dog Metalworking 29 April 23rd 04 08:02 PM
tramming skuke Metalworking 31 January 30th 04 01:55 AM
Trouble Tramming a Burke Millrite in the Y direction Steve Koschmann Metalworking 1 October 19th 03 06:01 AM