DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/17985-chinese-mini-lathe-factory-pictures-etc.html)

AZOTIC July 17th 04 12:24 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

If you are curious how chinese manufactures build the
mini-lathes and mini-mills that are sold by grizzly and
harbor frieght etc, here is a nice picture tour of a
modern chinese manufacturing plant that makes them.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php

Best Regards
Tom.
I love the inspection dept.

Spehro Pefhany July 17th 04 12:42 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On 17 Jul 2004 11:24:14 GMT, the renowned (AZOTIC)
wrote:

If you are curious how chinese manufactures build the
mini-lathes and mini-mills that are sold by grizzly and
harbor frieght etc, here is a nice picture tour of a
modern chinese manufacturing plant that makes them.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php

Best Regards
Tom.
I love the inspection dept.

Figures that the PCBs would be done in-house (PICT0332.JPG,
PICT0331.JPG) given the way they look.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Roger Shoaf July 17th 04 06:17 PM

"AZOTIC" wrote in message
If you are curious how chinese manufactures build the
mini-lathes and mini-mills that are sold by grizzly and
harbor frieght etc, here is a nice picture tour of a
modern chinese manufacturing plant that makes them.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php

Best Regards
Tom.
I love the inspection dept.

Notice how few of the guys in the shop are wearing safety glasses?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Bob Edwards July 17th 04 07:51 PM

(AZOTIC) wrote in message ...
If you are curious how chinese manufactures build the
mini-lathes and mini-mills that are sold by grizzly and
harbor frieght etc, here is a nice picture tour of a
modern chinese manufacturing plant that makes them.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php

Best Regards
Tom.
I love the inspection dept.

Interesting. By coincidence, I just had a short "looky-see" tour of a
Paris machine shop near where we are living for the summer. Not
terribly different, although the Paris shop does have several CNC
machines -- a couple mini vertical machining centers and a cnc lathe.
However, they have a LOT of manual machines, and seem to be using
them. I was walking by on my way to french class and the door was
open, so I stuck my head in and asked if I could see the shop. Owner
was happy to show me around. Several of the manual mills were in use,
and a shaper.

This is in a mixed residential and commercial neighborhood only a few
metro stops from the center of Paris -- you don't find that kind of
thing in the US cities anymore, of course. This shop does one-offs,
modelmaking, production work, etc.

Harry Conover July 17th 04 08:03 PM

(AZOTIC) wrote in message ...
If you are curious how chinese manufactures build the
mini-lathes and mini-mills that are sold by grizzly and
harbor frieght etc, here is a nice picture tour of a
modern chinese manufacturing plant that makes them.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php

Great series of photos. Thanks for posting them.

And yes, their inspection department appears to be in the need of a
most serious upgrade!

Harry C.

Leon Heller July 17th 04 08:24 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

"Bob Edwards" wrote in message
m...
(AZOTIC) wrote in message

[...]

That sort of facility is still around in the UK, as well. Where I used to
work we used to get prototypes made by a chap with a very well-equipped
workshop, everything was manual. He was very busy.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Walter Harley July 17th 04 09:10 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

"Bob Edwards" wrote in message
Interesting. By coincidence, I just had a short "looky-see" tour of a
[...] you don't find that kind of
thing in the US cities anymore, of course. This shop does one-offs,
modelmaking, production work, etc.

Maybe there are fewer than before, but I still see plenty of operations like
that here in Seattle. Maritime industry (shafts & screws), aerospace
(Boeing parts) and model-making for high tech products.

Rick July 17th 04 10:25 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Notice in most pics they are not running the overhead lights...saving money over
being able to see detail????

Bruce Simpson July 18th 04 12:35 AM

On 17 Jul 2004 12:03:34 -0700, (Harry Conover) wrote:
And yes, their inspection department appears to be in the need of a
most serious upgrade!

How can you upgrade the process of sticking a little QA sticker on
something regardless of runout, slop, alignment or whatever :-)

And for the record, I have a minilathe that I love (now that I've
taken the time to blueprint it) so I'm not simply knocking the Chinese
-- it's just that the paperwork that came with mine bore no
resemblence to the actual measurements I made as to the machine's "out
of the box" accuracy or alignment.

--
you can contact me via
http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

Larry Jaques July 18th 04 01:20 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:17:03 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
calmly ranted:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php
Tom.
I love the inspection dept.

Hey, NIIIICE surface plate!

Notice how few of the guys in the shop are wearing safety glasses?

Safety glasses? What are those?

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Jon Bergstrom July 18th 04 01:47 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:20:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:17:03 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
calmly ranted:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php
Tom.
I love the inspection dept.

Hey, NIIIICE surface plate!

Notice how few of the guys in the shop are wearing safety glasses?

Safety glasses? What are those?

I fancy the sandals for lathe operators.....

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Jon

Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.

James Waldby July 18th 04 02:24 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Leon Heller wrote:
"Bob Edwards" ... wrote ...
Interesting. By coincidence, I just had a short "looky-see" tour of a
Paris machine shop near where we are living for the summer.

This is in a mixed residential and commercial neighborhood only a few
metro stops from the center of Paris -- you don't find that kind of
thing in the US cities anymore, of course. This shop does one-offs,
modelmaking, production work, etc.

That sort of facility is still around in the UK, as well. Where I used to
work we used to get prototypes made by a chap with a very well-equipped
workshop, everything was manual. He was very busy.

I saw several little workshops ("engineering companies") in Coimbatore, India
last month, and while I don't have pictures of those, I took pictures of some
companies that supply the workshops; see http://pat7.com/ii/shops/ . One of
the welding shops I saw does its larger work (like gates) on the sidewalk.
Some stores put lathes and mills on the sidewalk for passers-by to look at.
There are a couple of lathe manufacturers in Coimbatore, I think, but I doubt
that they export much.
-jiw

Shiver Me Timbers July 18th 04 02:33 AM

James Waldby wrote:

I took pictures of some
companies that supply the workshops

Fascinating.

Every available space has a sign on it.

Can you imagine Wal Mart trying to figure out how to put a big box
store in a country like that.

Jim Levie July 18th 04 03:09 AM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:25:00 +0000, Rick wrote:

Notice in most pics they are not running the overhead lights...saving money over
being able to see detail????

I suspect that they really don't need the overheads except at night or
when there's heavy cloud cover. Those work areas seemed to all have lots
of windows and nothing really beats the sun for illumination.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Wayne July 18th 04 03:27 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

As I was going through the pics I was thinking of how most
of them had large windows and natural lighting. Not like
the dungeons that we in the U.S. have to work in.

Wayne.

TSJABS July 18th 04 04:25 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Look closely and you will see electrical panels that appear to have no covers
on them......

tim

Larry Jaques July 18th 04 07:26 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 01:33:30 GMT, Shiver Me Timbers
calmly ranted:

James Waldby wrote:

I took pictures of some
companies that supply the workshops

Fascinating.

Every available space has a sign on it.

Can you imagine Wal Mart trying to figure out how to put a big box
store in a country like that.

They're already there, Shiv. WalMart has _many_ stores in
3rd world countries like Canada, Mexico, Germany, Korea,
China, and the UK.

Bruce Simpson July 18th 04 09:16 AM

On 18 Jul 2004 03:25:13 GMT, (TSJABS) wrote:

Look closely and you will see electrical panels that appear to have no covers
on them......

Wow, a country where they assume that the average worker *is* smart
enough not to touch the live wires :-)

Richard J Kinch July 18th 04 09:38 AM

TSJABS writes:

Look closely and you will see electrical panels that appear to have
no covers on them.

Knob-and-tube, I presume?

Wild Bill July 18th 04 01:19 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

That was a nice look into another culture. The safety glasses and open
electrical enclosures are open to interpretation.
A dining hall/cafeteria and showers are mentioned, which might be seen as a
sign of worker appreciation and/or respect. It seemed a little unusual that
basketball was implied as a popular pastime exercise.

I noticed that there were a few bicycles in one image. The contrast to U.S.
facilities would be a huge parking lot with lots of financed overpowered new
vehicles (or the usual amount of a mix of late model and older vehicles we
see every day). Public transportation seems to be a viable replacement for
individual image in some cultures.

Another interesting aspect was that in the overall work areas and the
engineering department image, there weren't a lot of cutesy personal items
sitting around (as if the workers apparently go to work for a purpose).
Few things **** me off more than going to a place of business or public
office to find adults surrounded with toys and decorations, where their work
area looks like a teen's room, or just a cool place to hang out.

They're working a lot of cast iron, that's for sure. On the imported
machines that I have, there are numerous cast parts where you'd normally
expect to see steel.

I'm generally suspicious of their circuit board work and electrical wiring
connections inside their power tools. It's usually fairly low quality work,
with poor solder connections and loose wire terminals. I can't say that I've
heard a lot of complaints about component failures, so they're probably an
average quality for most of Asia.
Their AC motors typically don't include any thermal protection, which can be
expected in most european and U.S. consumer and commercial equipment.

I think more folks are finding out that some of the machinery from China
isn't too bad for getting started in the metalworking hobby, particularly
for something like the mini-lathes.

WB

AZOTIC July 18th 04 02:31 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

That was a nice look into another culture. The safety glasses and open
electrical enclosures are open to interpretation.
A dining hall/cafeteria and showers are mentioned, which might be seen as a
sign of worker appreciation and/or respect.

What i found interesting is the lack of multiple layers of management,
it seems that a buyer can deal directly with the plant owner and
negotiate a price for 1000 machines and have a done deal in one
day. It's amazing to see what can be accomplished when
management doesn't get in the way. Perhaps the chinese have
a better business model than most US corporations can offer.

Best Regards
Tom.

Lance A Boyle July 18th 04 03:20 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

They're already there, Shiv. WalMart has _many_ stores in
3rd world countries like Canada, Mexico, Germany, Korea,
China, and the UK.

And there's the attitude that you share with your president that's going
to turn the USA into a third world country real soon.

Lance

jim rozen July 18th 04 03:46 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

In article , Roger Shoaf says...

Notice how few of the guys in the shop are wearing safety glasses?

That's odd. I didn't see *any* safety glasses at all.
Honest - and I looked!

Jim

please reply to:

C.A. Decker July 18th 04 05:34 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Canada, Germany and the UK are third world countries?

You're an intellectual retard!!!

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

jim rozen July 18th 04 07:49 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

In article , C.A. Decker says...

Canada, Germany and the UK are third world countries?

They're already there, Shiv. WalMart has _many_ stores in
3rd world countries like Canada, Mexico, Germany, Korea,
China, and the UK.

LOL. I *missed* that the first time. Thanks for
pointing out the funny.

Jim

please reply to:

Gerald Miller July 18th 04 08:34 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:34:19 GMT, "C.A. Decker"
wrote:

Canada, Germany and the UK are third world countries?

You're an intellectual retard!!!

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

They're already there, Shiv. WalMart has _many_ stores in
3rd world countries like Canada, Mexico, Germany, Korea,
China, and the UK.

According to a lot of 'murkanz.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Larry Jaques July 18th 04 10:30 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:20:03 GMT, Lance A Boyle
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

They're already there, Shiv. WalMart has _many_ stores in
3rd world countries like Canada, Mexico, Germany, Korea,
China, and the UK.

And there's the attitude that you share with your president that's going
to turn the USA into a third world country real soon.

You can't even take a joke, eh, hoser?

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Larry Jaques July 18th 04 10:31 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On 18 Jul 2004 11:49:53 -0700, jim rozen
calmly ranted:

In article , C.A. Decker says...

Canada, Germany and the UK are third world countries?

They're already there, Shiv. WalMart has _many_ stores in
3rd world countries like Canada, Mexico, Germany, Korea,
China, and the UK.

LOL. I *missed* that the first time. Thanks for
pointing out the funny.

I caught two on that hook in one day, and the day's not over
yet, Jim. I wonder what my score will be by tomorrow...

-

mongke July 18th 04 11:41 PM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:24:52 +0000, James Waldby wrote:

I saw several little workshops ("engineering companies") in Coimbatore,
India last month, and while I don't have pictures of those, I took
pictures of some companies that supply the workshops; see
http://pat7.com/ii/shops/ . One of the welding shops I saw does its
larger work (like gates) on the sidewalk. Some stores put lathes and mills
on the sidewalk for passers-by to look at. There are a couple of lathe
manufacturers in Coimbatore, I think, but I doubt that they export much.
-jiw

Is the red tank in http://pat7.com/ii/shops/0601_022r.jpg a compressor?
It somewhat resembles an acetylene generator. More to the left of the pic
and partially hidden by the lamp post there is another one, with a small
tank attached to it ( acetylene reservoir?)

--

Regards,

Mongke

C.A. Decker July 19th 04 12:45 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Learn how to tell an intelligent joke, loser.

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

You can't even take a joke, eh, hoser?

GTO69RA4 July 19th 04 01:24 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Is the red tank in http://pat7.com/ii/shops/0601_022r.jpg a compressor?
It somewhat resembles an acetylene generator. More to the left of the pic
and partially hidden by the lamp post there is another one, with a small
tank attached to it ( acetylene reservoir?)

--

Regards,

Mongke

They look like a couple of pressure sandblasters to me.

GTO(John)

Roger Shoaf July 19th 04 02:17 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Roger Shoaf says...

Notice how few of the guys in the shop are wearing safety glasses?

That's odd. I didn't see *any* safety glasses at all.
Honest - and I looked!

Second photo, guy on lathe wearing blue shirt.

Inspection department.

Maybe these guys were wearing regular glasses rather than safety glasses,
but those were the only shots of people in the shop wearing glasses.

The Davenports July 19th 04 02:20 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

Look closely and you will see electrical panels that appear to have no
covers
on them......

Wow, a country where they assume that the average worker *is* smart
enough not to touch the live wires :-)

Or perhaps a country that enforces Darwinism and actually hopes that someone
WILL touch the live wires and help cleanse the gene pool.

From everything I've seen of population counts, they have LOTS of bodies to
spare.

Mike

Bruce Simpson July 19th 04 03:18 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:20:18 -0500, "The Davenports"
wrote:

Look closely and you will see electrical panels that appear to have no

covers
on them......

Wow, a country where they assume that the average worker *is* smart
enough not to touch the live wires :-)

Or perhaps a country that enforces Darwinism and actually hopes that someone
WILL touch the live wires and help cleanse the gene pool.

From everything I've seen of population counts, they have LOTS of bodies to
spare.

Perhaps it's there way of making sure there are plenty of cornea
donors for those guys without their safety-glasses. :-)

T.Inoue July 19th 04 05:12 AM

"Wild Bill" wrote in message ...

Another interesting aspect was that in the overall work areas and the
engineering department image, there weren't a lot of cutesy personal items
sitting around (as if the workers apparently go to work for a purpose).
Few things **** me off more than going to a place of business or public
office to find adults surrounded with toys and decorations, where their work
area looks like a teen's room, or just a cool place to hang out.

Why would that **** you off?

Just because someone likes an adorned work area doesn't mean they have
a poor work ethic. I used to practically live in my office (I owned
the company), so having it "comfortable" made it a whole lot more
tolerable than a sterile, white office. In fact, I encouraged my
employees to personalize their office space to make life at the office
enjoyable. In return, we had happy and loyal employees and an
extremely productive business.

Larry Jaques July 19th 04 05:25 AM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:45:36 GMT, "C.A. Decker"
calmly ranted:

Learn how to tell an intelligent joke, loser.

My, my, my, aren't we touchy?

How does that hook in your lip feel, anyway? ;)

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

charles July 19th 04 02:30 PM

Chinese mini-lathe factory pictures etc.

"T.Inoue" wrote in message
om...
"Wild Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Its "Nesting" and its integral to human nature. If you want your employees
to be "replaceable drones" you put them in a standardised box,
view them as drain on the business .. and get the quality of work, the
desire to unionise/strike, the complete lack of loyalty and the hostile work
environment
you've created. You allow them their trinkets, their personalisation, allow
them to put their imprint on the company and even help build it and you have
employees who will work their butt off for you when you need it. Who if you
ever do have to lay them off will speak highly of you and your prroducts to
everyone they know and realise it wasnt something you could avoid, and who
will try to find ways to improve the business and help it make more money.
Its also the model american business has forgotten about (and is paying
for).

Isnt it nice that the republicans are helping make the tyrannical chinese
communists the worlds industrial superpower?

James Waldby July 19th 04 10:28 PM

GTO69RA4 wrote:
mongke wrote: [re http://pat7.com/ii/shops/ ]

Is the red tank in http://pat7.com/ii/shops/0601_022r.jpg a compressor?
It somewhat resembles an acetylene generator. More to the left of the pic
and partially hidden by the lamp post there is another one, with a small
tank attached to it ( acetylene reservoir?)

They look like a couple of pressure sandblasters to me.

I don't know which it is - maybe I'll find out on my next trip,
this winter. I've put up some more pictures (trucks, bullocks,
motorcycles) at http://pat7.com/ii/traffic/ .

-jiw

Shiver Me Timbers July 19th 04 10:43 PM

James Waldby wrote:

I've put up some more pictures (trucks, bullocks,
motorcycles) at http://pat7.com/ii/traffic/ .

Keep them coming James.... They are very interesting to view.

Please and thank you.