Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gunner

Default OT-: Michael Badnarik has won the Libertarian Party's presidential nomination.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 06:45:31 -0400, North wrote:

Constitutional scholar Badnarik gets presidential nomination

ATLANTA -- In a stunning come-from-behind victory, Texas
constitutional scholar Michael Badnarik has won the Libertarian
Party's presidential nomination.

Badnarik, 49, of Austin, Texas, won 423 votes -- or 54 percent -- from
delegates at the Libertarian Party's national convention in Atlanta on
Sunday. Coming in second was movie producer Aaron Russo, followed by
longtime radio talk host Gary Nolan.

Badnarik's victory was considered a shock because he had been beaten
in the polls and primaries by both Nolan and Russo. According to many
undecided delegates, Badnarik's superior performance in the Saturday
debates propelled him ahead of the other candidates.

In an emotional acceptance speech on the convention floor, a surprised
Badnarik declared, "Never in my wildest dreams!" Then he thanked
delegates for their support and made it clear that his campaign will
stay focused on forcing the government to abide by the Constitution.

"The reason we can't find a relationship between the Constitution and
the government is that there is none," he said. "If I can win the
Libertarian nomination, there's no reason I can't win this election.
We have a unique opportunity to change the world."

For the past three years Badnarik has been teaching classes on the
Constitution, and his message of forcing the government to strictly
abide by that document appealed to many Libertarian delegates.

According to many political analysts, the Libertarian nominee could
cost President George Bush the November election by attracting votes
from frustrated Republicans in key swing states such as Wisconsin,
Oregon and Nevada.

According to a May 21 article by David Paul Kuhn, chief political
writer for CBSNews.com, many conservatives are so angry over Bush's
spending increases that they may abandon the GOP in November.

If that happens, the Libertarian nominee "may do for Democrats in 2004
what Nader did for Republicans in 2000" and cost Bush the election,
Kuhn says.

The Libertarian presidential candidate appeared on all 50 state
ballots in 1992, 1996, and 2000, and the party is working toward that
goal in 2004.

Two other candidates, David Hollist of California and Jeffrey Diket of
Louisiana, were eliminated in the first round of voting.

In a separate vote, delegates chose Richard Campagna as their vice
presidential nominee. Campagna, 52, is an attorney is Iowa City, Iowa.

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell