Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Kamus of Kadizhar

Default Lyeden Jars

Maybe this isn't the right group, but I can't find the right one, so
appologies in advance if this is OT.

I'm trying to build some Leyden jars
http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/instruments/archaic/leyden_jars.htm .

A Leyden Jar is basically an insulating container (glass, plastic) with a
thin coating of a metal conductor on the inside and the outside.

Normally, you apply a metal foil both inside and outside the container.

But... I want to build these inside wine bottles, so I can't reach in and
apply a coating by hand.

I've thought about metallic paint - thinning it and swishing it around.
Something like this: http://www.lessemf.com/292.html . I've though
about electroplating, but that doesn't seem practical.

To prevent sparking, the coating needs to stop about 1/3 of the way from
the top of the jar.

Any suggestions for coating the inside of a container with a conductive
film, without actually reaching in? Oh, and this is being done on a
shoe-string budget, so expensive solutions are out....

TIA,

--Kamus