SBaer

Default OT - Siding Timber Frame Barn to use as workshop

I have found the contributers to this newsgroup to be quite
knowledgeable about building construction as well as metalworking. For
my new and enlarged workshop I am planning to reside an old timber frame
barn. I would like it to look like an old barn from both the inside and
the outside. My plan is to nail 1 x 8 rough pine boards to the outside
of the beams, then cover these from the outside with 1" XPS (rigid blue
foam), wrap with tar paper and cover from the outside with 1 x 8 rough
pine. The roof would be similar except the outside layer would be
roofing steel.

Does this make sense? I am not looking for great insulation, mostly just
wind protection. Does this contravene fire regulations?

Any comments would be appreciated.

axolotl

SBaer wrote:

For
my new and enlarged workshop I am planning to reside an old timber frame
barn. I would like it to look like an old barn from both the inside and
the outside. My plan is to nail 1 x 8 rough pine boards to the outside
of the beams, then cover these from the outside with 1" XPS (rigid blue
foam), wrap with tar paper and cover from the outside with 1 x 8 rough
pine. The roof would be similar except the outside layer would be
roofing steel.

The usual method is stress skin panels on the outside of the frame. Try
to make it to one of the Timber Framer's Guild conventions. The products
will be on display and you will learn much about restoring old frames.

http://www.tfguild.org/

Kevin Gallimore

axolotl

SBaer wrote:

The probelm with them is that they are ugly from the inside, and you
still have to side the outside.

http://www.winterpanel.com/panels.html

Look at "Woodclad".

Kevin Gallimore