DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Nice write up about LEDs (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/16880-re-nice-write-up-about-leds.html)

John Ings May 21st 04 07:10 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:28:11 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I don't want to live in a community full of incompetent
self-protectors.

Anyone who purchases a weapon and doesn't get trained on it is
a fool. But he's an armed fool and he just may save your butt
some day. Y'know, when (not if) anarchy strikes your area.

You're paranoid.

When 1-2 million defensive gun uses occur every year in a population of
280 million people.. that hardly sounds paranoid.

Sounds like fiction. And lawlessness isn't anarchy.

I would rather live in a community where even the
cops don't need guns.

All of us would, but that very probably isn't going to happen
for any of us on this globe in this lifetime. C'est la vie.
(C'est la guerre?)

It has been that way in England for decades.

ROFLMAO!!!!!! Right.

Fact. I've been there. Have you?

What advice do cops give bank clerks and convenience store owners?
Do they advise starting a shootout or just handing over the money?

It really depends on which community you live in. Now about Kenasaw
Geogia...and a host of others where firearms ownership is manditory..

You actually have places where people MUST carry guns?

Now on the other hand...do cops suggest simply laying back and
submitting to rape? Indeed, some do. Is that what you tell your
wife/daughter?

Do they advise armed resistance?

Remember what the situation
is... the US is country where there are all kinds of handguns already
in the posession of people who damn well shouldn't have them.

Ditto for the UK.

No. It has only been lately that ANY UK cops have had to carry guns,
and most still don't.

Define lately.

Past 20 years, since a large influx of immegrants from counries where
violence is a way of life.

The criminals in all countries shouldn't have
weapons of any sort, but they all do.

No they ALL don't.

Only the ones who want them. Even in the UK. Scotland yard estimates
something like 3 million illegal firearms are floating around, with more
being imported every day.

Betcha there's that many in New York City alone.

I don't want to see my county become that way, Most times when i read
in the local papers of an armed robbery, the criminal was armed with a
sporting rifle. You want him to have a nice concealable handgun
instead?

You really should read more facts about guns, John. Your country
already outranks the US in % of victims.

According to NRA statistics?

No..according to British and US Department of Justice figures.
Shrug..they even gave a US travelers warning last year.

That sounds like a fraudulent statistic to me.
I can't think of anywhere in the cities of Toronto and Montreal I
would feel unsafe. There are areas in Boston, Washington and Chicago I
definitely would not go, and East L.A. is a war zone.

Look at the stats.

No. That's why, as I told Gunner, I'm giving up this debate. Both
sides of the issue are calling the other's stats bogus. Probably
they're both right. I have neither the time nor the inclination to
find out which. All I know is that it's safer where I am than it is
ten miles south of here.

I owed it to myself to find out the truth. If you don't want
to know it, so be it.

You know a source of the truth? An UNBIASED source?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/

Let's be a mite more specific.

But in case you do, read a variety of
books and sources. Talk to the local police,

They'll recommend that I shoot it out with any armed robbers
I encounter?

Many will.

Find me one. If that's a common attitude there should be a website
stating so.

And stats show you will win.

I will? I'll always see the criminal coming in time to find my gun and
use it? And he's going to let me? Or do I carry it all the time like a
cop? Do you go about armed with a six shooter like Wyatt Earp?

You have seen an exchange between myself and an anti gun extremist. You
have not read any of the cites from either of us.

Since I suspect both, and yours so far are only vague pointers.

OK. Name me a police agency that advocates self-defence with a handgun
against armed robbery. That advises convenience store owners to shoot
it out for instance.

Taft PD. And they give firearms classes and issue CCW.

Im sure I can find more. Lets ask around Arizona for example...chuckle

The Wild West...

## To err is human. To purr feline.

Earn?n May 21st 04 09:31 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

John Ings wrote in message . ..
On 21 May 2004 01:05:16 -0700, (Earn?n) wrote:

Did you have fun beating your chest Macho Man?

Did you come up with a reason you should be allowed to own or use
dangerous metal working tools?

[email protected] May 21st 04 10:08 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

Carl Nisarel wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Winston §mith
wrote:

On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:04:39 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Winston §mith
wrote --

Actually Carl, I don't know you or your long term style.
My opinion is biased solely on your posts in this thread.
I saw a lot of name calling and bad language from you.
And that's about it. Nothing I could go away and verify
or prove wrong.

I get the impression that you could "go away and verify or
prove wrong" any of the material I posted since you haven't
actually read the multitude of posts where I cite actual
published research.

I don't give a damn about your research or "multitude of
posts".

Then you lied when you claimed to have read the posts I wrote
in this thread.

I'm NOT referring to the entire body of your posts in the
history of usenet. I am referring to this one thread.

So am I. You're seriously deluded or have very poor reading
comprehension if you think that quotes from Gary Kleck or
Michael Maltz, among other items, fits your claim.

That's the one you highjacked,

Nope.

changed the subject, and
turned the off topic subject into another group.

Talk to Larry Jacques. I did not change the subject.

All you're doing is engaging in a lame ad hominem attack.

I am engaging in an attempt to keep this thread on topic -
the topic of LED lighting.

No, you're going off on a lame ad hom attack.

**** off petty minded jerk! it's enough having to put with
mark let alone a jerk pom!

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo May 21st 04 10:10 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

Carl wrote:

You're a pine cone head!

Gunner wrote:

No, *you're* a pine cone head!

....and so forth. See the Dave Barry article "Seeing the forest
through the eyes of our children" at the following URL:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901

Larry Jaques May 21st 04 10:44 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:10:35 -0700, John Ings
brought forth from the murky depths:

wrote:
When 1-2 million defensive gun uses occur every year in a population of
280 million people.. that hardly sounds paranoid.

Sounds like fiction. And lawlessness isn't anarchy.

I didn't say we were engulfed in anarchy over here -yet-. Reread
my sentence there, big guy. Another book for you to read is
"The Coming Anarchy" by Robert D. Kaplan. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/037570759X

You really should read more facts about guns, John. Your country
already outranks the US in % of victims.

According to NRA statistics?

No..according to British and US Department of Justice figures.
Shrug..they even gave a US travelers warning last year.

That sounds like a fraudulent statistic to me.
I can't think of anywhere in the cities of Toronto and Montreal I
would feel unsafe. There are areas in Boston, Washington and Chicago I
definitely would not go, and East L.A. is a war zone.

What do Canadian and US cities have to do with the %age of victims
in Britain or the warning from the USDOJ about Britain?!? Why are
you constantly changing the subject in response to a direct question,
John?

You know a source of the truth? An UNBIASED source?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/

Let's be a mite more specific.

3 direct links to unbiased sources are not specific enough?
What do you WANT? (Did you even peruse any of them?)

Im sure I can find more. Lets ask around Arizona for example...chuckle

The Wild West...

I'll now leave you to your daydreaming.

(Gunner, no use trying to save these two with suicidal tendencies
and illogical, self-doubting "reason".)

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

John Ings May 21st 04 11:46 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:44:21 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

When 1-2 million defensive gun uses occur every year in a population of
280 million people.. that hardly sounds paranoid.

Sounds like fiction. And lawlessness isn't anarchy.

I didn't say we were engulfed in anarchy over here -yet-.

And if we are, a personal weapon isn't going to help me if my
civilization is destroyed. I'm too old to be a survivalist.

Reread
my sentence there, big guy. Another book for you to read is
"The Coming Anarchy" by Robert D. Kaplan. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/037570759X

Read some of the 63 reader reviews at that link. Not the ones with 5
stars, the ones with 1 and 2 stars. e.g.

"Kaplan's Coming Anarchy is one of the weakest books I've read, and
now in my 3rd year of a Pol Sci Phd program, that's a lot of books. He
is the Jenny Jones of literature, spotlighting all that is shocking
yet meaningless. This book is a collection of problems, yet he offers
no theory of how all of these events are related, no theory behind
this anarchy, and no explanation for where it is leading, except for a
possibly racist suggestion that it is leading to a society like that
in current-era West Africa. Interested readers should consider Robet
Wright's Nonzero, in which he argues there is a progressive and
equilibrium path in human development. Even in if you share Kaplan's
argument that there is or going to be anarchy, he offers nothing in
the way of a coherent argument."

or this

"So who's responsible for the economic and social doom or the "coming
anarchy"?
Well that's where it gets even more interesting. The author points out
to us the guilty ones by actually telling us who is not guilty. That
would be for example Henry Kissinger for whom Kaplan dedicates more
than a whole chapter praising his efforts to maintain a balance in
this mad, mad world we're living in..
But then again, Kaplan admits that Kissinger was one of the pivotal
decision makers for the brutal bombings in Cambodia with 1000s of
innocent civilians dead. The reason according to the book? It was
nothing more than an expression of power to China (!!!)..And the
Vietnam war? Oh that was also "needed" because the region had to be
"stabilised"..

You really should read more facts about guns, John. Your country
already outranks the US in % of victims.

According to NRA statistics?

No..according to British and US Department of Justice figures.
Shrug..they even gave a US travelers warning last year.

That sounds like a fraudulent statistic to me.
I can't think of anywhere in the cities of Toronto and Montreal I
would feel unsafe. There are areas in Boston, Washington and Chicago I
definitely would not go, and East L.A. is a war zone.

What do Canadian and US cities have to do with the %age of victims
in Britain or the warning from the USDOJ about Britain?!?

I don't live in Britain.

Why are you constantly changing the subject in response to a direct question,
John?

What was the question?

You know a source of the truth? An UNBIASED source?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/

Let's be a mite more specific.

3 direct links to unbiased sources are not specific enough?

No, those were indirect links to main pages. Now if you've got a stat
that you want me to see, post a link to the page with the stat.

## Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
## Cats have never forgotten this.

Sue May 22nd 04 01:38 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

[...]

Yes, you did. You changed the topic of the thread when you took
umbrage with Gunner's sig. *That* is when the subject changed.
Sue

z May 22nd 04 01:39 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

Gunner wrote in message . ..

Maybe those guns do protect a few citizens from thugs, but they kill
more family members than thugs, and that's a fact. Not one handgun
owner in a thousand has the training necessary to use their weapon in
a shootout with something other than a paper target. And while there
are a few states in the US that have the necessary terrain for
successful guerilla warfare, most don't. So if trained regular
infantry come looking for your militia, they aren't going to last
long.

More family members than thugs? Been reading Kellerman again.

Well, yeah. Hasve you got any figures that prove otherwise?

Snicker...I should mention he admitted lying..er..making an error in
his calculations..

Well, to use your favorite phrase, CITE? Where and/or when did he
'admit lying..er..making an error in his calculations'? Hard to see
how, considering that was just public records of homicides.

something about 43 times more likely, was it not?

Yes, I see you are familiar with the work. Perhaps this would be a
good time to tell us what the 'lying..er..making an error in his
calculations' was. Did he say it was 43 X then change it to something
else? What? Or was it something else and he changed it to 43X? What
was it first?

Even in Canada..this is bogus..

"The best available Canadian research indicates that firearms used in
self-defence by law-abiding Canadians exceeds the total number of
gun-related deaths by a ratio of forty to one,

Of course, the incidence of gun-related deaths in Canada is 1/10 that
of the US, so the DGU/shooting death ratio would be 10X as large.

saving more lives each
year than are lost through the misuse of guns.

Assuming that every one of those DGUS would have been a fatality, had
it not been for the DGU. Do you really believe that 40/41 of all
homicidal shooting assaults, approximately 97.5%, are stymied by the
victim being armed? Just what proportion of the population do you
think normally carries a weapon, anyway? Do you think that the average
armed homicidal criminal gets chased off by a gun 97.5% of the time?

In Canada, a civilian
uses a firearm in defence of self, family or property (excluding
police, military and security guard duties) an average of once every
nine minutes, and half of these incidents involve defence against
human threats. Firearms are used over twice as often in self-defence
as they are in criminal violence, and save at least 3,300 lives every
year. The self-defence use of firearms saves the Canadian economy
hundreds of millions of dollars annually by protecting property
against theft and vandalism, and reduces medical costs by preventing
injury from criminal assault and wild animal attacks."

Once again, CITE? You seem to be pretty big on asking people for CITEs
to prove things that are matters of their opinion, yet you spring
quotes from nowhere as though they were written on the sky in letters
of flame.

Lets look at some facts shall we?

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgaga.html

OK...
'According to the 1997 FBI Uniform Crime Report (p. 24), from 1993 to
1997, non-gun justifiable homicides were 13% of all justifiable
homicides. 30% was used instead of 13%.'
Why was 30% used instead of 13%? The author doesn't seem to explain
that anywhere. I assume you must understand it, since you rely on it
to prove your case.
No matter, if you use 13% instead of 30%, then instead of
'So having applied Kellermann's methodology to non-firearm violent
death, the risk factor more than doubles from 43 to 1, to 99 to 1'
you have a risk factor of 20. So, what has the author and/or you
proved? That objects other than guns are used to kill the self or a
family member more often than an attacker, similarly to the way guns
are used to kill the self or a family member more often than an
attacker? That in general fewer people kill an attacker than the self
or a family member, gun or no gun? Doesn't that sort of confirm
Kellermann's finding, rather than deny it, i.e. that on the average,
the risk of a weapon to a family member of the self overwhelms the
risk to an attacker, guns included?
Or are we supposed to fixate on 'the risk factor more than doubles
from 43 to 1, to 99 to 1' as some sort of debunking? Is this where you
get Kellermann 'admitting lying..er..making an error in his
calculations'? You do realize that it wasn't Kellermann who calculated
this. And as I mention above, your author there pulls 30% out of a hat
after telling us the real number is 13%, getting 99:1; if he uses 13%
we get 20:1; perhaps he could follow Kellermann's example and actually
get the numbers from the publicly available death data and tell us
what the ratio is, rather than what it would be, given various numbers
he pulls out of his hat. Or not, since the logic of how that counters
Kellermann's argument is entirely lacking.

Let me be gracious here, and give you the answer. After all, it's not
that complicated that the progun folks haven't seen it and published
it elsewhere. It's, of course, that the opposite of killing a family
member or self is not killing the attacker; just stopping the attacker
will do just fine. Of course that's true and a valid criticism. And
that's why Kellermann did the next study, comparing the homicide rates
for houses where guns are kept vs ones where they are not. Very
simply, if guns save lives by stopping attackers in any way, even by
causing the attacker never to attack in the first place, and that's a
greater frequency that they are actually used in domestic homicides,
then homes with guns in them will be the sites of fewer homicdes.
Conversely, if guns are used to kill a family member more often than
they save somebody by a DGU of any kind, then there will be more
homicides in gun owning homes. (Notice that we have even dropped
suicides out of the equation here, which pushes the ratio further
towards the benefit of the progun side.) And a simple count of
homicides shows quite clearly that there are more homicides in homes
where there are guns. Well, there are lots of factors involved, of
course, homicidal people tend to keep guns around, so the next step is
a factor analysis, correcting for criminality and stuff like that; you
find that having a gun in the house is still correlated with a HIGHER
frequency of homicide. And further, that the increase in homicide is
entirely due to getting shot by a friend or family member with that
gun; and that there is no difference in the percentages getting killed
in any other way.

And why should that be surprising? It's immediately apparent on the
first glance at any statistics that domestic homicides are much more
frequent than homicides from home invasions. So even if having a gun
in the house was completely perfect protection against home invasions,
you'd still have a higher risk of family homicide. Or, to put it
another way, it's hard to get shot in your house when there isn't a
gun in the house. That ought to be fairly obvious.

How about a systematic rebuttal of Kellerman?
http://guncite.com/gun-control-kellermann-3times.html

OK...
"Before examining the weaknesses of Kellermann's study, for argument's
sake, let's assume the 2.7 odds ratio is a reasonable estimate of the
risk associated with a gun and homicide in the home. But, what is the
absolute risk of this association? (For a basic primer on absolute and
relative risk, and why critical readers should be alert to the
distinction, see http://www.acponline.org/journals/ec...b00/primer.htm.)"

Easily done; there were roughly 400 homicides in a total of about 6
million person years (3 cities with about half a million each, 2 for 5
years and one for 2.5 years). That's .007% overall per year. Let's see
what's your guy get?

"Even if (and that's a big if), Kellermann's estimate is in the
ballpark [it's from actual count of all homicides in the population,
it's got to be 'in the ballpark', it's the actual measurement not an
estimate], a very conservative estimate of the actual homicide risk to
each household member being killed per year, where no family member
has a criminal record, is in the range of three-eighths of
one-thousandth of 1 percent to three-quarters of one-thousandth of 1
percent (.000375 - .00075 percent). Over a forty year period that risk
translates to between one-and-one-half hundredths to three
one-hundredths of 1 percent of homicide risk for each family member
(.015 - .03 percent)."

Then how do you get 400+ actual homicides in a population of 1 million
for 5 years and another .5 million for 2.5 years? Your author is in
the position of telling us that although .007% per year actually get
killed, he rejects that number in favor of his theory.

I suggest Bruce Catton's Civil War trilogy as a good reference to
consult with respect to what happens when state militias start taking
their guns off the wall to resist federal armies.

Since when are we discussing State Militias and the War of Northern
Agression? Is that really where you want to go? EG

John....peruse this link a bit..

http://www.gunowners.org/fs0404.htm

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Sue May 22nd 04 01:45 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

[...]

My apologies. It appears that it was John Ings who did the hijacking.
Not you, but not Larry Jacques either.
Sue

Tim May May 22nd 04 01:53 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

In your last post you made a point of noting a spelling error:

--
AND, the main point, I don't give a damn about your style
or the style of others. I do care when you highjack a

I didn't "Highjack" (sic) a thread or change the subject. If
you are going to whine about that, go talk to Larry Jacques.

--

And yet in this post you write:

In article m, Carl
Nisarel wrote:

I am engaging in an attempt to keep this thread on topic -
the topic of LED lighting.

No, you're going off on a lame ad hom attack.

Ad hominem.

Those who use spelling flames in arguments had best not make any errors
other than trivial typos.

--Tim May

Tim May May 22nd 04 01:54 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

In article m, Carl
Nisarel wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Tom Martin wrote:

No, you're going off on a lame ad hom attack.

**** off petty minded jerk!

There's another idiotic ad hom attack.

Cf. my last post, where I quoted you noting someone's spelling error.

Physician, heal thyself.

--Tim May

Larry Jaques May 22nd 04 02:19 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:46:23 -0700, John Ings
brought forth from the murky depths:

I didn't say we were engulfed in anarchy over here -yet-.

And if we are, a personal weapon isn't going to help me if my
civilization is destroyed. I'm too old to be a survivalist.

Goodnight.

Reread
my sentence there, big guy. Another book for you to read is
"The Coming Anarchy" by Robert D. Kaplan. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/037570759X

Read some of the 63 reader reviews at that link. Not the ones with 5
stars, the ones with 1 and 2 stars. e.g.

Only about 70% of the readers gave him 5 stars. I liked the book.
YMMV.

I don't live in Britain.

Ah, the way you defended her I thought you were from there.
My mistake. BUT, the topic was as stated. You never were able
to follow those, were you? sigh

Why are you constantly changing the subject in response to a direct question,
John?

What was the question?

See what I mean?

You know a source of the truth? An UNBIASED source?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/

Let's be a mite more specific.

3 direct links to unbiased sources are not specific enough?

No, those were indirect links to main pages. Now if you've got a stat
that you want me to see, post a link to the page with the stat.

Sorry, no time to spoon feed you any more. Those were direct
links to unbiased sources. Pick your subject and find your
own stats, sir.

Over and out.

Larry Jaques May 22nd 04 02:23 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:46:44 -0700, Winston §mith
brought forth from the murky depths:

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:17:52 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

I didn't "Highjack" (sic) a thread or change the subject. If
you are going to whine about that, go talk to Larry Jacques.

Read the subject line. Then tell me how your posts apply.

Carl can stick that whine up with his sunshineless head.
I merely replied to content.

Larry Jaques May 22nd 04 02:24 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:45:47 GMT, Sue brought
forth from the murky depths:

My apologies. It appears that it was John Ings who did the hijacking.
Not you, but not Larry Jacques either.
Sue

Thanks, Sue.

sign me: C-less Jaques.

Sue May 22nd 04 02:56 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:24:19 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:45:47 GMT, Sue brought
forth from the murky depths:

My apologies. It appears that it was John Ings who did the hijacking.
Not you, but not Larry Jacques either.
Sue

Thanks, Sue.

sign me: C-less Jaques.

Sorry. I realized my error after I made the post. I have a friend
whose last name is Jacques so that's why I spelled it that way.
Sue

================================================= =========

John Ings May 22nd 04 03:07 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:19:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Sorry, no time to spoon feed you any more. Those were direct
links to unbiased sources. Pick your subject and find your
own stats, sir.

That's a fold.

John Ings May 22nd 04 03:18 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:29:45 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

The pubic doesn't trust people like that, your bland reassurances
notwithstanding.

That still doesnt explain the "true colors" comment. Were you
indicating that the fellow is one of those nasty gun owners who believes
in personal liberty rather than a sheeple? Or were you making some
implication that he is a deranged weapons owner that that simply hasnt
massacred a bus load of kids yet?

Why else would you want machine guns and claymores?
Just for the macho image?
Or the fun of shooting them?
Or because you belong to one of those militias?

Ill give you a heads up John... it really depends on who and where that
"public" is, regarding "trust". In many parts of the US..ownership of
such weapons involves envy, not fear.

Only in the minds of the suposedly envied.

And indeed, ownership of machine
guns, and grenade launchers are quite legal for private citizens as long
as the tax has been paid, in most states.
Can you tell me John, how many crimes (in the US) have been committed
with legally owned machine guns since 1934?

Ill give you a hint...its a number less than 2.

The public still doesn't trust you. They have an uneasy suspicion that
maybe you are nuts, no matter how sane you are. Add to that this
paranoia about the federal government needing to be threatened with
weaponry before it will let you alone...

Gunner May 22nd 04 04:46 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:23:50 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

Im still waiting for your answer on whether or not firearms
ownership is an individual right in the US.

I'm still waiting for you to produce a legitimate cite.

You're just waving an irrelevant red herring.

Go smack yourself in the face with it, Mark.

Simple question, or a really really tough one for you to answer? You
are marginally smart enough to understand that no matter which way you
answer..you get hammered.

If you answer no..then I supply the cites that it is. Cites that you
cannot dodge.

If you answer yes..then your entire anti-gun argument goes down the
while porcelain receptacle with a swirl.

Must really suck to be you right about now. Posting nit pics while you
go up in flames.

Chortle..

Gunner May 22nd 04 05:59 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

I don't want to live in a community full of incompetent
self-protectors.

Anyone who purchases a weapon and doesn't get trained on it is
a fool. But he's an armed fool and he just may save your butt
some day. Y'know, when (not if) anarchy strikes your area.

You're paranoid.

When 1-2 million defensive gun uses occur every year in a population of
280 million people.. that hardly sounds paranoid.

Sounds like fiction. And lawlessness isn't anarchy.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

"There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per
year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a
national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University
criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other
surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's
annually. However these surveys each had their flaws which prompted
Dr. Kleck to conduct his own study specifically tailored to estimate
the number of DGU's annually.

Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a
survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private
Ownership and Use of Firearms (text, PDF). Using a smaller sample size
than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually. "
http://www.guncite.com/kleckandgertztable1.html

Who mentioned anarchy? Without privately owned firearms...anarchy or
its totalitarian cousin rules.

http://www.universalway.org/guncontroltable.html
http://ls.wustl.edu/WULQ/75-3/753-4.html

I would rather live in a community where even the
cops don't need guns.

All of us would, but that very probably isn't going to happen
for any of us on this globe in this lifetime. C'est la vie.
(C'est la guerre?)

It has been that way in England for decades.

ROFLMAO!!!!!! Right.

Fact. I've been there. Have you?

Indeed I have. In fact it was the first place anyone ever tried to rob
me. Manchester at night is not a nice place. There are places even the
cops refuse to go.

What advice do cops give bank clerks and convenience store owners?
Do they advise starting a shootout or just handing over the money?

It really depends on which community you live in. Now about Kenasaw
Geogia...and a host of others where firearms ownership is manditory..

You actually have places where people MUST carry guns?

Sure.
http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/kennesaw.html

There are several others. I should note that the laws say you must
OWN, but leave it up to the owner if they want to carry or not.
Unlike the bleeding ******s on the gun control side who dont want
anyone to even own one. No end user discretion.

Now on the other hand...do cops suggest simply laying back and
submitting to rape? Indeed, some do. Is that what you tell your
wife/daughter?

Do they advise armed resistance?

Indeed. Resistance by any means possible. Including knives,
chainsaws, icepicks, rat tailed combs, belly guns, etc. An
interesting bit for you....
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa109.html
"In 1966 the police in Orlando, Florida, responded to a rape epidemic
by embarking on a highly publicized program to train 2,500 women in
firearm use. The next year rape fell by 88 percent in Orlando (the
only major city to experience a decrease that year); burglary fell by
25 percent. Not one of the 2,500 women actually ended up firing her
weapon; the deterrent effect of the publicity sufficed. Five years
later Orlando's rape rate was still 13 percent below the pre-program
level, whereas the surrounding standard metropolitan area had suffered
a 308 percent increase.[6] During a 1974 police strike in Albuquerque
armed citizens patrolled their neighborhoods and shop owners publicly
armed themselves; felonies dropped significantly.[7] In March 1982
Kennesaw, Georgia, enacted a law requiring householders to keep a gun
at home; house burglaries fell from 65 per year to 26, and to 11 the
following year.[8] Similar publicized training programs for gun-toting
merchants sharply reduced robberies in stores in Highland Park,
Michigan, and in New Orleans; a grocers organization's gun clinics
produced the same result in Detroit.[9] "

Remember what the situation
is... the US is country where there are all kinds of handguns already
in the posession of people who damn well shouldn't have them.

Ditto for the UK.

No. It has only been lately that ANY UK cops have had to carry guns,
and most still don't.

Define lately.

Past 20 years, since a large influx of immegrants from counries where
violence is a way of life.

But..but..but John..its all the guns fault. Right? The poor immigrants
are simply victims of cheap handguns being parachuted to them or being
found in their couscous.

The criminals in all countries shouldn't have
weapons of any sort, but they all do.

No they ALL don't.

Only the ones who want them. Even in the UK. Scotland yard estimates
something like 3 million illegal firearms are floating around, with more
being imported every day.

Betcha there's that many in New York City alone.

Very likely. And New York City has a very very strict ban on handguns.
Funny how that works, no?

I don't want to see my county become that way, Most times when i read
in the local papers of an armed robbery, the criminal was armed with a
sporting rifle. You want him to have a nice concealable handgun
instead?

You really should read more facts about guns, John. Your country
already outranks the US in % of victims.

According to NRA statistics?

No..according to British and US Department of Justice figures.
Shrug..they even gave a US travelers warning last year.

That sounds like a fraudulent statistic to me.
I can't think of anywhere in the cities of Toronto and Montreal I
would feel unsafe. There are areas in Boston, Washington and Chicago I
definitely would not go, and East L.A. is a war zone.

Oddly enough Im in East LA all the time. Though I do go armed. Shrug..

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/.../toronto2.html
Parkdale, according to many, is the next Cabbagetown. It is rather
grungy and run-down; in 5 to 10 years, it is predicted to become
shiny, yuppie, and new. This does not help the renter, of course, who
will be living there now, but it does help keep the rents low. It can
get quite dangerous at night, by the way.

http://www.montreal.com/tourism/general.html
Montreal has a low crime rate. Nonetheless it is a large city and you
should remain normally vigilant about your possessions and your
person. No particular area of the city is marked off as dangerous, but
it is not recommended to wander around Mount Royal or other large
parks alone at night. The Metro is safe at all times.

http://www.jimpankiw.com/News/MP_Rep...p_reports.html
CRIME

Several recent reports show a disturbing increase in the amount of
crime committed in our province, and much closer to home, in the city
of Saskatoon. In fact last year, Statistics Canada found that on a per
capita basis, Regina and Saskatoon ranked first and second as the
crime capitals of Canada.

Now if you want to talk about safe places in the US...most of it is
safe.
http://www.bestplaces.net/stress/stress_study1.asp

Look at the stats.

No. That's why, as I told Gunner, I'm giving up this debate. Both
sides of the issue are calling the other's stats bogus. Probably
they're both right. I have neither the time nor the inclination to
find out which. All I know is that it's safer where I am than it is
ten miles south of here.

I owed it to myself to find out the truth. If you don't want
to know it, so be it.

You know a source of the truth? An UNBIASED source?

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/

Let's be a mite more specific.

You asked. I supplied. What part of those citations didnt you
understand? Official US government sources direct to you.

But in case you do, read a variety of
books and sources. Talk to the local police,

They'll recommend that I shoot it out with any armed robbers
I encounter?

Many will.

Find me one. If that's a common attitude there should be a website
stating so.

Its hardly PC..talk to the average cop on the street, not the
politically astute muckamuck at the top.

I should mention I was a police officer for a number of years. On a
number of occasions I suggested an individual get a gun and training
for self protection. Often in the case of a spousal abuse situation.
Like this one:

GREENVILLE, South Carolina, 6:50 a.m. EDT June 11, 2001 -- A man is
dead after being shot in Northern Greenville County early Monday
morning.

Deputies tell News 4 that the man's estranged wife killed him after he
kicked in the door at her home on Jordan Road and threatened her with
a rifle.

Deputies say that she shot her husband in the chest with a pistol. He
died on the scene.
***********

You really need to read a book called Armed and Female by Paxton
Quigley

And stats show you will win.

I will? I'll always see the criminal coming in time to find my gun and
use it? And he's going to let me? Or do I carry it all the time like a
cop? Do you go about armed with a six shooter like Wyatt Earp?

Find your gun? Why would it not be with you?
As to your other questions..yes indeed. I do go armed all the time.
Though I dont carry a six shooter for the most part. I carry a very
small, heavily customized .45 self loading pistol tucked away on my
person. Its not for the recoil shy. I may carry (during cold weather
or while wearing a suit) a larger full sized .45..one made in Canada
btw..the ParaOrd P14, also heavily customized. On horse back, or
while hiking, I generally carry a S&W Mod 57 in .41Magnum in a
crossdraw holster. This is very comfortable while driving, riding or
while wearing a back pack. I should mention that Ive had a California
Concealed Weapons Permit for about 27 yrs now, and have to attend
classes and exhibit safety and skill on the range, every 2 years when
renewing my permit. As a side note, I generally am picked to be the
assistant rangemaster, as I am certified in a number of firearms
training and shooting catagories.

You have seen an exchange between myself and an anti gun extremist. You
have not read any of the cites from either of us.

Since I suspect both, and yours so far are only vague pointers.

Your obfuscation is noted as is your failure to have read any of the
cites Ive given, based on that statement.

OK. Name me a police agency that advocates self-defence with a handgun
against armed robbery. That advises convenience store owners to shoot
it out for instance.

Taft PD. And they give firearms classes and issue CCW.

Im sure I can find more. Lets ask around Arizona for example...chuckle

The Wild West...

The "wild west" is and was a hell of a lot safer place to live than
the "civilized east". Need the cites? Chuckle.

You do know that both concealed and open carry is legal in Arizona?
Its hardly uncommon to go to the market, etc and the man or woman in
front of you has a handgun holstered on their hip. Those are the
ones you can see. EG. Tends to put off those Quebeckers when they
come in in mass in their RVs during the winter time. At least at
first.
## To err is human. To purr feline.

Indeed.

Gunner, with two cats in his lap.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:03 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

[...]

Im rather fascinated on how Cattle Neusia got involved. He seldom
sticks his pointed little head into misc.survivalism, let alone
rec.crafts.metalworking

I wonder if Mr. Ing decided to call on the "big guns" (snicker)

Cattle has been conspicious by his absence since the last time he got
his ass handed to him on misc.survivalism.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:06 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:10:00 +0200, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
wrote:

Carl wrote:

You're a pine cone head!

Gunner wrote:

No, *you're* a pine cone head!

...and so forth. See the Dave Barry article "Seeing the forest
through the eyes of our children" at the following URL:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/

-tih

Where the hell did the pine cone head stuff come from?????

I dont recall every calling Cattle such. A ******, antigun nutcase,
troll, and I think even once commented on his incestious anc carnal
relationship with his brother and Mum..but Pine Cone head???????

Gunner May 22nd 04 07:07 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

On 21 May 2004 17:39:34 -0700, (z) wrote:

Gunner wrote in message . ..

Maybe those guns do protect a few citizens from thugs, but they kill
more family members than thugs, and that's a fact. Not one handgun
owner in a thousand has the training necessary to use their weapon in
a shootout with something other than a paper target. And while there
are a few states in the US that have the necessary terrain for
successful guerilla warfare, most don't. So if trained regular
infantry come looking for your militia, they aren't going to last
long.

More family members than thugs? Been reading Kellerman again.

Well, yeah. Hasve you got any figures that prove otherwise?

http://www.freecolorado.com/2001/03/tiemann.html
http://www.totse.com/en/politics/rig...ms/fe_cdc.html
http://www.gunsandcrime.org/43times.html
http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel013101.shtml

One should also understand that Arthur Kellerman MD did the Study at
the request of the once AntiGun CDC etc. IRRC it was first published
in JAMA.

Now..something to consider...G
http://www.crpa.org/jan04wheeler.html
January 2004

Centers for Disease Control Finally Admits Conventional Wisdom is A
Crock

In a marvelous moment of candor, a federal Centers for Disease Control
(CDC) committee has reported that it cannot find any evidence that
gun-control laws reduce violent crime.

American gun owners spent most of the 1990s telling the CDC that gun
control is ineffective at best and harmful at worst. So it's
gratifying that the lesson is finally sinking in.

A task force convened by the CDC issued its report after two years of
reviewing 51 scientific studies of gun laws. The group considered only
research papers that met strict criteria for scientific soundness. The
CDC distances itself with a disclaimer, but it's pretty clear that it
supports the task force's conclusions. The report contains no
dissenting position or minority view from CDC managers.

Covered in the review were gun-ban laws, restrictions on acquiring a
gun, waiting periods for buying a gun, firearm-registration laws,
firearm-owner licensing laws, concealed-carry permit laws,
zero-tolerance laws, and various combinations of firearms laws. Most
Americans who haven't tried to buy a gun lately are blissfully unaware
of just how many laws there are. In Washington, D.C., for example,
it's impossible for a regular citizen to legally own a firearm
(although criminals seem to have no problem getting one). In other
cities, the legal hoops a gun buyer must jump through are almost as
much a barrier to ownership as an outright ban.

One would think that at least some good would come from all these
laws. Researchers should be able to prove that the laws prevent at
least a few murders, rapes and robberies. Amazingly, they can't. And
even more amazingly, they have admitted that they can't.
snip

Snicker...I should mention he admitted lying..er..making an error in
his calculations..

Well, to use your favorite phrase, CITE? Where and/or when did he
'admit lying..er..making an error in his calculations'? Hard to see
how, considering that was just public records of homicides.

See above cites.

something about 43 times more likely, was it not?

Yes, I see you are familiar with the work. Perhaps this would be a
good time to tell us what the 'lying..er..making an error in his
calculations' was. Did he say it was 43 X then change it to something
else? What? Or was it something else and he changed it to 43X? What
was it first?

Chuckle...Arthur has since refused to reveal his data sets and has
backed away from his original claims. IRRC..his data set involved one
Town. See the above cites for further information. Its quite infamous.
Nearly as Infamous as Cattle's buddy Michael Bellesiles "work"
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_bellesiles.html

Even in Canada..this is bogus..

"The best available Canadian research indicates that firearms used in
self-defence by law-abiding Canadians exceeds the total number of
gun-related deaths by a ratio of forty to one,

Of course, the incidence of gun-related deaths in Canada is 1/10 that
of the US, so the DGU/shooting death ratio would be 10X as large.

And?

saving more lives each
year than are lost through the misuse of guns.

Assuming that every one of those DGUS would have been a fatality, had
it not been for the DGU.

Serious flaw in your assumption. Few DGUS involve firing a shot. Fewer
yet involve anyone being harmed. Only 20% of gun shot victims sucumb
to their wounds. In the 5 civilian DGUS that Ive personally been
involved in, no rounds were discharged. No one was injured by gunfire.
(Ill leave the other possiblities to your imagination)

Do you really believe that 40/41 of all
homicidal shooting assaults, approximately 97.5%, are stymied by the
victim being armed?

See above. Your basic premise is deeply and fatally flawed.

Just what proportion of the population do you
think normally carries a weapon, anyway?

Legally or illegally in areas that have no CCW? One should also note
that DGUS are most often not on public property, but in or about ones
home. So you will have to define or reconcile "carry a weapon,
anyway" To answer as best as I can..its estimated that about 3% of
the total population of the US is carrying a weapon at any one time,
or has done so in the past several months.

You might want to take a look at this map( which is at least two years
and two states out of date)

On the other hand..49% of all homes in the US have at least one
firearm. There are an estimated 280,000,000 firearms in the US, with a
population of 270,000,000, so its a safe bet that most of those homes
have more than one firearm G

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/kleck2.html

In Canada, a civilian
uses a firearm in defence of self, family or property (excluding
police, military and security guard duties) an average of once every
nine minutes, and half of these incidents involve defence against
human threats. Firearms are used over twice as often in self-defence
as they are in criminal violence, and save at least 3,300 lives every
year. The self-defence use of firearms saves the Canadian economy
hundreds of millions of dollars annually by protecting property
against theft and vandalism, and reduces medical costs by preventing
injury from criminal assault and wild animal attacks."

Once again, CITE? You seem to be pretty big on asking people for CITEs
to prove things that are matters of their opinion, yet you spring
quotes from nowhere as though they were written on the sky in letters
of flame.

http://www.outdoors.net/site/feature...+Search Term+

And
http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/...pters/3/2.html
It is frequently assumed that Canadians do not use their firearms for
self defense. This misconception was shattered by survey research
undertaken by Simon Fraser University Professor Gary Mauser who
discovered that firearms are used approximately 62,000 times per year
in Canada for self defense (excluding police, military, and security
guard incidents) [11]. During the period 1985-1990, an estimated
312,000 households had at least one person who used a firearm (whether
it was fired or not) to protect themselves or their family [12]. Half
of these incidents involved defense against human threats. These
numbers suggest that firearms may save as many as 40 lives for every
life lost to a gun and that, on average, every 9 minutes in Canada a
civilian uses a firearm in defense of themself, their family, and
their property [13].
On a per capita basis Canadian gun owners report using a firearm in
self defense almost as often as gun owners in the United States;
however, Canadians use firearms more frequently against dangerous
animals than do Americans [14]. Professor Mauser estimated that
firearms in Canada are used about three times as often in self defense
as they are in criminal violence. His research also revealed that over
one-half of Canadians believe they have a right to own a firearm [15].

[...]

You are missing the crux of the matter. With 2.5 million DGUS, where
NO one gets shot..you have to add that number into the mix. You, like
Kellerman, only qualify those incidents where somone gets hurt. When
you factor in the 30,000 justifyable and non jusfiable homicides that
occure each year..figure the percentages when applied to that
250,000,000 DGUS annually. Not very big, when applied to the numbers
of lives saved, eh?

[...]

Only ONE of my guys..only one. Look at the rest of them as well.

Thats one of the nice things about all the studies done in the last
15 yrs..if you dont like one..check the rest. They all tend to back
each other up to some degree or another. Unlike the anti-guns studies.

Shrug

Gunner May 22nd 04 07:34 AM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

The pubic doesn't trust people like that, your bland reassurances
notwithstanding.

That still doesnt explain the "true colors" comment. Were you
indicating that the fellow is one of those nasty gun owners who believes
in personal liberty rather than a sheeple? Or were you making some
implication that he is a deranged weapons owner that that simply hasnt
massacred a bus load of kids yet?

Why else would you want machine guns and claymores?
Just for the macho image?
Or the fun of shooting them?

Probably for the same reason folks like cars that go 150 miles an
hour. They are fun.

Or because you belong to one of those militias?

If you are an American citizen 17 yrs old or older..you ARE a member
of the Militia. No if ands or buts. Shrug. US Code TITLE 10 Subtitle
A PART I CHAPTER 13 Sec. 311.

Ill give you a heads up John... it really depends on who and where that
"public" is, regarding "trust". In many parts of the US..ownership of
such weapons involves envy, not fear.

Only in the minds of the suposedly envied.

Thats such a bogus comment John, Im surprised you would stoop that
low. If there is a "in the minds" issue..its yours. Shrug.

And indeed, ownership of machine
guns, and grenade launchers are quite legal for private citizens as long
as the tax has been paid, in most states.
Can you tell me John, how many crimes (in the US) have been committed
with legally owned machine guns since 1934?

Ill give you a hint...its a number less than 2.

The public still doesn't trust you. They have an uneasy suspicion that
maybe you are nuts, no matter how sane you are.

Having the Press demonize gun owners for the past 40+ years hasnt
helped. When was the last time you heard a story about the good guys
winning? Or about a good work by a gun club? Etc etc? I can give you
tons of them, but you wont hear them in the major media. Having the
NEA forcing anti-gun sentiment on kids in many schools doesnt help
either. Are you aware that in much of the country, opening day of
deer season is still a school holiday? When I and many here were in
school, we took our rifles and put them in our lockers so we could
hunt before and after school. I built my first gun in shop class. We
had a fine highschool rifle team. With the range in the basement.

Gun crime was rare. Shrug..hell crime was rare.

Tell me..if guns were a serious problem..why do many schools forbid
gun safety classes? The marvelous Eddie Eagle program is taught for
Free by police and certified civilians. Its highly acclaimed. So why
do many schools forbid it being given? Would you forbid the teaching
of how to safely cross a street? Operate a motor vehicle? Handle
power tools? One would think that the Antis want dead kids to bolster
their agenda. Im sure that they really rue the fact that you are 200
times more likely to die in a swimming accident than by a fire arms
accident. And there are a hell of a lot more guns than pools.
****..you are more likely to choke to death on food than die by
gunfire. Lets ban food! Pablum Only!

Add to that this
paranoia about the federal government needing to be threatened with
weaponry before it will let you alone...

Paranoia? Hummmmmm

"And how we burned in the camps latter, thinking: What would things
have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night
to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive
and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass
arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of
the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs,
paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every
step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to
lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a
dozen people with axes, hammers, polkers, or whatever else was at
hand? After all, you knew ahead of time that those bluecaps were out
at night for no good purpose. And you could be sure ahead of time that
you'd be cracking the skull of a cutthroat. Or what about the Black
Maria sitting out there on the street with one lonely chauffeur --
what if it had been driven off or its tires spiked. The Organs would
very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and,
notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have
ground to a halt!

If… if… We didn't love freedom enough. And even more -- we had no
awareness of the real situation. We spent ourselves in one
unrestrained outburst in 1917, and then we hurried to submit. We
submitted with pleasure! ……….. We purely and simply deserved
everything that happened afterward."
- Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago: 1918-1956

"Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any
government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of
citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms
should not be very carefully used and that definite rules of
precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of
citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary
government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears
remote in America but which historically has proven to be always
possible."
- Senator Hubert H. Humphrey, MN, campaigning
for the 1960 Democratic Presidential Nomination

"For among other evils caused by being disarmed, it renders you
contemptible; which is one of those disgraceful things which a prince
must guard against."
-- Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in
his hand and it's good-by to the Bill of Rights."
-- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Maybe some figures?
http://www.universalway.org/guncontroltable.html

Perhaps some views of the Founders might help?

A pinch of wisdom from the Founders with a dash of commentary.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it
gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played
with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body
and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your
constant companion of your walks.
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of
Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for
them.
--- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings
of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

We established however some, although not all its [self-government]
important principles . The constitutions of most of our States assert,
that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by
themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as
in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and
deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any
fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and
equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times
armed;
---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition
16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

The thoughtful reader may wonder, why wasn't Jefferson's proposal of
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms" adopted by the
Virginia legislature? Click here to learn why.
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania,
1759.

To model our political system upon speculations of lasting
tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human
character.
---Alexander Hamilton

Quotes from the Founders During the Ratification Period of the
Constitution
[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which
Americans possess over the people of almost every other
nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with
arms.
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

To suppose arms in the hands of citizens, to be used at individual
discretion, except in private self-defense, or by partial orders of
towns, countries or districts of a state, is to demolish every
constitution, and lay the laws prostrate, so that liberty can be
enjoyed by no man; it is a dissolution of the government. The
fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and
commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws.
---John Adams, A Defence of the Constitutions of the United
States 475 (1787-1788)
John Adams recognizes the fundamental right of citizens, as
individuals, to defend themselves with arms, however he states
militias must be controlled by government and the rule of law. To have
otherwise is to invite anarchy.

The material and commentary that follows is excerpted from Halbrook,
Stephen P. "The Right of the People or the Power of the State Bearing
Arms, Arming Militias, and the Second Amendment". Originally published
as 26 Val. U. L.Rev. 131-207, 1991.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they
are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America
cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the
people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of
regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United
States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no
laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional;
for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire
the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to
them unjust and oppressive.
---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of
the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that
we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no
power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible
implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he
unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal
or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain,
in the hands of the people.
---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

During the Massachusetts ratifying convention William Symmes warned
that the new government at some point "shall be too firmly fixed in
the saddle to be overthrown by anything but a general insurrection."
Yet fears of standing armies were groundless, affirmed Theodore
Sedwick, who queried, "if raised, whether they could subdue a nation
of freemen, who know how to prize liberty, and who have arms in their
hands?"
[W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of
the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when
young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all
promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind
that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly
anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to
practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true
republicans are for carefully guarding against it.
---Richard Henry Lee, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20,
1788.

The Virginia ratifying convention met from June 2 through June 26,
1788. Edmund Pendleton, opponent of a bill of rights, weakly argued
that abuse of power could be remedied by recalling the delegated
powers in a convention. Patrick Henry shot back that the power to
resist oppression rests upon the right to possess arms:
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but
downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.
Henry sneered,
O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if, to punish tyrants, it
were only sufficient to assemble the people! Your arms, wherewith you
could defend yourselves, are gone...Did you ever read of any
revolution in a nation...inflicted by those who had no power at all?
More quotes from the Virginia convention:

[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great
Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was
governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best
and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it
openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are
the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few
public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the
future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia
of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and
rich and poor...
---George Mason

Zacharia Johnson argued that the new Constitution could never result
in religious persecution or other oppression because:
[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in
full possession of them.
The Virginia delegation's recommended bill of rights included the
following:
That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a
well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to
arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state; that
standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and
therefore ought to be avoided as far as the circumstances and
protection of the community will admit; and that, in all cases, the
military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the
civil power.
The following quote is from Halbrook, Stephen P., That Every Man Be
Armed: The Evolution of a Constitutional Right, University of New
Mexico Press, 1984.
The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of
the people at large or considered as individuals...[i]t establishes
some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently,
no majority has a right to deprive them of.
---Albert Gallatin to Alexander Addison, Oct 7, 1789, MS. in
N.Y. Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2.
Gallatin's use of the words "some rights," doesn't mean some of the
rights in the Bill of Rights, rather there are many rights not
enumerated by the Bill of Rights, those rights that are listed are
being established as unalienable.
*******************

Something to consider..for all you Libs Fundie bashers. If they are
as powerful and as evil as you think they are..and they want to force
their version of religion down your throat..how are you going to keep
a right wing religious theocracy from taking over the country?

Sue them? Snicker....

John Ings May 22nd 04 02:00 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 06:34:45 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Or because you belong to one of those militias?

If you are an American citizen 17 yrs old or older..you ARE a member
of the Militia.

Not THE Malitia. A malitia. One of those ones with nazi armbands.

Ill give you a heads up John... it really depends on who and where that
"public" is, regarding "trust". In many parts of the US..ownership of
such weapons involves envy, not fear.

Only in the minds of the suposedly envied.

Thats such a bogus comment John, Im surprised you would stoop that
low. If there is a "in the minds" issue..its yours. Shrug.

C'mon! If you had the votes you'd have your guns.

The public still doesn't trust you. They have an uneasy suspicion that
maybe you are nuts, no matter how sane you are.

Having the Press demonize gun owners for the past 40+ years hasnt
helped.

They've had a lot of help from people shooting up schools, post
offices, subway trains, MacDonalds etc.

Add to that this
paranoia about the federal government needing to be threatened with
weaponry before it will let you alone...

Paranoia? Hummmmmm

Something to consider..for all you Libs Fundie bashers. If they are
as powerful and as evil as you think they are..and they want to force
their version of religion down your throat..how are you going to keep
a right wing religious theocracy from taking over the country?

Sue them? Snicker....

Fight the regular army?

Remember what happened the last time that was tried?

## Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel.
## True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

John Ings May 22nd 04 02:40 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:40:00 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Law-abiding McMinn County residents won the Battle of Athens because
they were not hamstrung by "gun control " They showed us when citizens
can and should use armed force to support the rule of law.

Armed force by citizens works the other way too:

http://www.displaysforschools.com/rosewood.html
http://www.displaysforschools.com/history.html
http://www.pbs.org/harrymoore/terror/groveland.html

Larry Jaques May 22nd 04 03:16 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:07:20 -0700, John Ings

wrote:

Sorry, no time to spoon feed you any more. Those were direct
links to unbiased sources. Pick your subject and find your
own stats, sir.

That's a fold.

Yes, an intentional BLINDfold around yourself. Enjoy!

Larry Jaques May 22nd 04 03:53 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 04:59:46 GMT, Gunner

wrote:
Past 20 years, since a large influx of immegrants from counries where
violence is a way of life.

But..but..but John..its all the guns fault. Right? The poor immigrants
are simply victims of cheap handguns being parachuted to them or being
found in their couscous.

Bwahahahaha! wiping coffee off wall, monitor, and keyboard
I can't wait for the white paper "Couscous as a Bullet Lube".

Now if you want to talk about safe places in the US...most of it is
safe.
http://www.bestplaces.net/stress/stress_study1.asp

That's a fun page, but Orange County, CA safe?!? Animalheim safe?
SANTA ANA SAFE? I'll bet these guys have never been there, unless
the place has changed since I was last there about 20 years ago. All
of East L.A.'s drugs came out of Santa Ana.

Let's be a mite more specific.

You asked. I supplied. What part of those citations didnt you
understand? Official US government sources direct to you.

Maybe if you read them out loud for him...

[...]

Great, now he'll call you paranoid, too. ;)

## To err is human. To purr feline.

Indeed.

Gunner, with two cats in his lap.

I find it hilarious that you two opposites are both cat lovers.

Ciao!

Larry Jaques May 22nd 04 04:55 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:56:27 GMT, Sue brought
forth from the murky depths:

wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:45:47 GMT, Sue brought
forth from the murky depths:

My apologies. It appears that it was John Ings who did the hijacking.
Not you, but not Larry Jacques either.
Sue

Thanks, Sue.

sign me: C-less Jaques.

Sorry. I realized my error after I made the post. I have a friend
whose last name is Jacques so that's why I spelled it that way.

Half of my mail is spelled that way, and even though I spell it for
the people at catalog/phone sales outlets, over half of them still
misspell it. It's all Jacques Cousteau's fault.

Meanwhile, back on topic...

Winston, here are source URLs for LEDs and info on LED flashlights:
http://whitelightled.com/
http://members.cox.net/ledflashlight/ten.htm
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.ne...iews_index.htm

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:20 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

Im still waiting for your answer on whether or not
firearms ownership is an individual right in the US.

I'm still waiting for you to produce a legitimate cite.

You're just waving an irrelevant red herring.

Go smack yourself in the face with it, Mark.

Simple question, or a really really tough one for you to
answer?

It's your red herring, Mark. It is what you throw out when
you get trapped in a corner and fail to address the serious
issues/

Your attempt at deflection is noted and found amusing.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:27 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

Or because you belong to one of those militias?

If you are an American citizen 17 yrs old or older..you ARE a member
of the Militia.

Not THE Malitia. A malitia. One of those ones with nazi armbands.

Those are not militias. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Your
useage of the term only proves your indoctrination by the media. Those
are hate groups. They have no legitimacy of any kind.

Ill give you a heads up John... it really depends on who and where that
"public" is, regarding "trust". In many parts of the US..ownership of
such weapons involves envy, not fear.

Only in the minds of the suposedly envied.

Thats such a bogus comment John, Im surprised you would stoop that
low. If there is a "in the minds" issue..its yours. Shrug.

C'mon! If you had the votes you'd have your guns.

John...I have my guns.

The public still doesn't trust you. They have an uneasy suspicion that
maybe you are nuts, no matter how sane you are.

Having the Press demonize gun owners for the past 40+ years hasnt
helped.

They've had a lot of help from people shooting up schools, post
offices, subway trains, MacDonalds etc.

Which on the grand scale of things has been moot. Far more people die
in mass in traffic accidents than in gun involved incidents.

Add to that this
paranoia about the federal government needing to be threatened with
weaponry before it will let you alone...

Paranoia? Hummmmmm

Something to consider..for all you Libs Fundie bashers. If they are
as powerful and as evil as you think they are..and they want to force
their version of religion down your throat..how are you going to keep
a right wing religious theocracy from taking over the country?

Sue them? Snicker....

Fight the regular army?

Remember what happened the last time that was tried?

Yup, we gained our Independence. As to irregulars fighting the
regular army..I thought you Lefty types think we are in an unwinnable
Quagmire in Iraq. Chuckle....which is it? One should also
note..that the Regular Army will desert in mass to the rebels side if
such an uprising occurs. Taking their arms and ammo with them.
You might give some study to the actions at the beginning of the US
Civil War, when not only the elements, but the leaders split over the
issues of the day.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:31 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

Law-abiding McMinn County residents won the Battle of Athens because
they were not hamstrung by "gun control " They showed us when citizens
can and should use armed force to support the rule of law.

Armed force by citizens works the other way too:

http://www.displaysforschools.com/rosewood.html
http://www.displaysforschools.com/history.html
http://www.pbs.org/harrymoore/terror/groveland.html

Indeed. A sad situation that only backs up the unarmed (largely)
civilians being ripe targets for the picking. Think of what the
outcome would have been if the victims had all be well armed.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:49 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:04:54 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

The marvelous Eddie Eagle program is taught for
Free by police and certified civilians.

The Eddie the Eagle program has never been demonstrated to be
an effective program and, in fact, research has demonstrated
that it is not effective.

Himle MB, Miltenberger RG, Gatheridge BJ, Flessner CA. 2004.
"An evaluation of two procedures for training skills to
prevent gun play in children," Pediatrics. Jan;113(1 Pt
1):70-7.

OBJECTIVE: Unintentional firearm injuries threaten the safety
of children in the United States. Despite the occurrence of
these injuries, few studies have evaluated the effectiveness
of child-based programs designed to teach children gun-safety
skills. This study compared 2 programs that were designed to
reduce gun play in preschool children. METHODS: A between-
groups no-treatment control design was used. Children were
randomly assigned to either 1 of 2 firearm-injury prevention
programs or a no-treatment control condition. Participant
recruitment, training, and data collection occurred in
preschools and children's homes located in a midwestern city
with a population of approximately 80,000. Thirty-one 4- and
5-year-old children participated in the study. The
effectiveness of the National Rifle Association's Eddie Eagle
GunSafe Program and a behavioral skills training program
using instruction, modeling, rehearsal, and feedback was
evaluated. Children were issued 0 to 3 ratings on the basis
of their ability to say correctly the safety message and
similar ratings on the basis of observations of their ability
to perform correctly the skills in the classroom and when
placed in a realistic simulation. RESULTS: Both programs were
effective for teaching children to reproduce verbally the
gun-safety message. The behavioral skills training program
but not the Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program was effective for
teaching children to perform gun-safety skills during a
supervised role play, but the skills were not used when the
children were assessed via real-life (in situ) assessments.

See also: J Dev Behav Pediatr 2002 Apr;23(2):71-76 Teaching
Firearm Safety to Children: Failure of a Program. Hardy MS.

Ive seen that citation puked up on many occasions, by the Antigun
crowd. They cherry picked a no win test and use it as their flag ship.
I still wonder why they teach children how to cross a street and then
fail to mention why their teaching is worthless when a child gets hit
crossing the street.

Lets look at whether or not its effective shall we? Keep in mind that
gun ownership is at an all time high....

http://www.mcdl.org/Stats/gunaccidents98.htm
Fatal Gun Accidents drop to 900 in 1998
Reflecting the value of safety efforts by industry, the National Rifle
Association and many volunteer groups, a report by the National Safety
Council(NSC) shows accidental firearms fatalities reached an all-time
low of 900 in 1998- the fewest fatal accidents since such record
keeping began in 1903.

Fatal gun accidents have been declining for many years, but this was
the first time the national total dropped below 1,000. The 900 figure
for 1998 represents a decline of 18 %, from the previous year, a
decline of 40% for the 10-year period 1989 to 1998, and a decline of
65 % since 1974 when 2,513 fatal firearms accidents occurred.

The Safety Council tracks unintentional injuries and deaths due to a
variety of causes. The 900 accidental fire- arms- related fatalities
reported by the NSC for 1998 compares with

41,200 deaths related to motor vehicle accidents,
16,600 in falls,
4,100 in drownings,
3,700 due to fire or burns,
3,200 due to choking, and
9,400 from poisoning, in the same year.
Firearms-related deaths in the home are at an historic low, as well.
Of the total number of accidental fatalities attributed to firearms in
1998, 700 of these occurred in the home, a decline of 12.5% from the
previous year.

Eddie Eagle

by Rick Fairchild

Ever heard of Eddie Eagle? He's a cartoon character used by the
National Rifle Association over the last 12 years to teach kids about
gun safety. The program's central message teaches children who find a
firearm to "Stop! Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult."

Pretty innocuous words, right? Twenty-four governors have passed
resolutions calling for the "Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program" to be
implemented in their states' public schools. The program has met with
near-universal approval wherever it's been used to teach kids how to
handle guns safely.

One of the notable exceptions is the state of New York. Last December,
Governor George Pataki rejected a plan to introduce Eddie Eagle to New
York elementary schoolers. State Senator Eric Schneiderman calls Eddie
Eagle "Joe Camel with feathers." New York City Public Advocate Mark
Green said, "I think they [the NRA] are morally and legally
responsible for thousands of deaths a year, in a sense, in our city
and country, and they should not be anywhere near our kids talking
about guns. State and city officials were outraged after a New York
City police youth officer showed the NRA's Eddie Eagle videotape to
several fourth-grade classes in Brooklyn.

Let's see. Joe Camel was designed to sell cigarettes to children.
That's bad. Eddie Eagle tells kids not to touch any guns they may find
and to tell an adult what they've found. That's good. There's
absolutely no comparison here. Eddie Eagle doesn't tell kids to buy
guns. He doesn't glamorize guns in any way.

But then again, this silly argument is coming from a bunch of liberals
who don't think straight.

It's absolutely clear. Gun safety isn't a goal. Teaching children
about the danger of guns isn't a goal. The ONLY goal is a total and
complete disarming of the American public. Teaching children
responsible attitudes toward guns would certainly save lives --- but
it doesn't further the goal of citizen disarmament.

"Teaches elementary school children four important steps to take if
they find a gun. These steps are presented by the program's mascot,
Eddie Eagle, in an easy-to-remember format consisting of the following
simple rules:

If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

This program, specifically designed for young children from
pre-kindergarten through six grade, was developed through the combined
efforts of such qualified professionals as clinical psychologists,
reading specialists, teachers, curriculum specialists, urban housing
safety officials, and law enforcement personnel."

"The purpose of The Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program isn't to teach
whether guns are good or bad, but rather to promote the protection and
safety of children. Eddie Eagle neither offers nor asks for any value
judgment concerning firearms. Like swimming pools, electrical
uutlets, matchbooks and household poison, they're treated simply as a
fact of life. With firearms found in about half of all American
households, it's a stance that makes sense."

"Entertaining, rewarding, and proven effective in communicating a
memorable safety message to children."
*******************

GUN SAFETY

Because focus group research shows that the public reacts unfavorably
to the term "gun control," the anti-gun lobby now tries to masquerade
its decades-old legislative proposals as "gun safety" measures.

True gun safety depends on education and personal responsibility, not
government regulation. NRA`s 59,500 Certified Instructors and Law
Enforcement Instructors reach 700,000 Americans each year. NRA`s
award-winning Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program has been used by more than
22,000 schools, law enforcement agencies and civic groups to reach
more than 17 million children since 1988. Accidental deaths with guns
have been decreasing for decades.

Since 1930, the annual number of such accidents has decreased 75%,
while the U.S. population has more than doubled and the number of
privately owned guns has quintupled. Among children, fatal gun
accidents have decreased 91% since 1975. (National Center for Health
Statistics (NCHS) and National Safety Council)

The per capita rate of accidental deaths with guns is at an all-time
low, having decreased 91% since the all-time high in 1904. Gun
accidents account for less than 1% of accidental deaths in the U.S.
among the whole population and among children. Most accidental deaths
involve motor vehicles or are due to drowning, falls, fires,
poisoning, medical mistakes, choking on ingested objects and
environmental factors. (NCHS)
*************'

Cattle..once again your disengeniousness is notable.

Shrug..but you keep demonstrating it time after time.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:52 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:05:30 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

One should also understand that Arthur Kellerman MD did the
Study at the request of the once AntiGun CDC etc. IRRC it
was first published in JAMA.

Once again Mark goes for the idiotic genetic fallacy.

"Kellerman's study was completely disingenuous, and indicates--as does
his financing and publication by gun-control zealots James Mercy at
the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Jerome P. Kassirer, editor of
NEJM--that the intent of these so-called studies is to produce
pro-gun-control soundbites for Sarah Brady's Handgun Control, Inc.,
rather than scientific knowledge. The CDC's anti-gun propaganda was so
flagrant and outrageous that the Congress threatened to cut off its
funding entirely.

The Kellerman pseudo-study was refuted by several well-qualified
sources, including sociology professor H. Taylor Buckner; Henry E.
Schaffner, Ph.D.; and J. Neil Schulman, in his book Stopping Power:
The Humanistic Case for Civilian Arms, Centurion Press, 1994. His
sampling methods, methodology, analysis of data and conclusions have
all been censured as unscientific.

But, perhaps most telling was the study by Professor Gary Kleck, head
of the criminology department at Florida State University, which was
summarized in his paper Guns and Violence: A Summary of the field
prepared for delivery at the Annual Meeting of the American Political
Science Association, which was held at the Washington Hilton, August
29 through September 1, 1991.

Unlike Kellerman, Kleck's award-winning study has been peer-reviewed"

Once again..Cattle is caught with his deflection naked and raw.

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:53 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:06:36 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

He seldom
sticks his pointed little head into misc.survivalism, let
alone rec.crafts.metalworking

You need to get smacked around every so often, Mark.

Bring your lunch, a designated driver and notification for your next
of kin.
EG

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:59 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:07:29 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

"There are approximately two million defensive gun uses
(DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of
the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck

That same study fails predictive validity tests, Mark.

Marvin Wolfgang, the late Director of the Sellin Center for Studies in
Criminology and Criminal Law at the University of Pennsylvania,
considered by many to be the foremost criminologist in the country,
wrote in The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology, Northwestern
University School of Law, Volume 86, Number 1, Fall, 1995:

"I am as strong a gun-control advocate as can be found among the
criminologists in this country. If I were Mustapha Mond of Brave New
World, I would eliminate all guns from the civilian population and
maybe even from the police ... What troubles me is the article by Gary
Kleck and Marc Gertz. ["Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and
Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun," by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz,
published in that same issue of The Journal of Criminal Law &
Criminology] The reason I am troubled is that they have provided an
almost clear cut case of methodologically sound research in support of
something I have theoretically opposed for years, namely, the use of a
gun in defense against a criminal perpetrator. ...I have to admit my
admiration for the care and caution expressed in this article and this
research. Can it be true that about two million instances occur each
year in which a gun was used as a defensive measure against crime? It
is hard to believe. Yet, it is hard to challenge the data collected.
We do not have contrary evidence. The National Crime Victim Survey
does not directly contravene this latest survey, nor do the Mauser and
Hart Studies. ... the methodological soundness of the current Kleck
and Gertz study is clear. I cannot further debate it. ... The Kleck
and Gertz study impresses me for the caution the authors exercise and
the elaborate nuances they examine methodologically. I do not like
their conclusions that having a gun can be useful, but I cannot fault
their methodology. They have tried earnestly to meet all objections in
advance and have done exceedingly well."
So this data has been peer-reviewed by a top criminologist in this
country who was prejudiced in advance against its results, and even he
found the scientific evidence overwhelmingly convincing."

Cattle..as the following article states...Ignorance is no longer an
excuse. You might well take heed....

http://www.tysknews.com/TyskWorks/ig..._an_excuse.htm

Gunner May 22nd 04 06:59 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

Im still waiting for your answer on whether or not
firearms ownership is an individual right in the US.

I'm still waiting for you to produce a legitimate cite.

You're just waving an irrelevant red herring.

Go smack yourself in the face with it, Mark.

Simple question, or a really really tough one for you to
answer?

It's your red herring, Mark. It is what you throw out when
you get trapped in a corner and fail to address the serious
issues/

Your deflection is once again noted.

Gunner May 22nd 04 07:19 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:21:30 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Getting his ass kicked yet again, Gunner wrote:

Your attempt at deflection is noted and found amusing.

It's funny to watch you get smacked around so easily, Mark.

Now, when are you going to actually address Kleck's comment
where he notes that the Lott/Mustard study is not valid?

I have. I shrugged. No ideas on the dicodamy.

Ok..so answer my question. Is the right to keep and bear arms an
individual right in the US?

Yes or no.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/knox/knox...tissue=1999111
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Oct. 1) - When objective scholars study either the
constitutionality or the effectiveness of "gun control" in controlling
crime, and come down on the gunowners side of the issue--as they
almost always do--they are castigated and reviled by their colleagues
in academia.

Prof. John Lott, now of Yale Law School, had written over 70 papers
before his carefully and extensively researched study which found that
"shall issue" licensed carry laws measurably reduced crime rates. Lott
was shocked and appalled by the invective heaped on his head by his
fellow academics.

I could have warned him.

In 1978, James D. Wright, then a sociologist at the University of
Massachusetts (Amherst) and a published advocate of "gun control"
laws, received a $190,000 grant from the U.S. Justice Department to
determine what type of gun law was most effective in controlling
crime. He found that no law or combination of gun laws could be shown
to have had any effect upon the crime rate.

"I thought I was going to be the hero who would point the way to
effective gun control," he told me a few years later. "Instead I
became the goat."

Prof. Gary Kleck, a criminologist at Florida State University, was the
next major figure to be derided by his academic colleagues. In the
February 1988 issue of "Social Problems" Kleck estimated (on the basis
of six surveys conducted by groups on both sides of the gun issue)
"there were about 645,000 defensive uses of handguns against persons
per year, excluding police or military uses."

He was excoriated by his colleagues. But instead of ducking, he began
conducting a series of surveys to prove or disprove whether defensive
gun use (DGU) was as common as his analysis had indicated. He found
that he was wrong; the real number was three or four times as high.

While Profs. Lott and Wright have shown forbearance in responding to
their often-nasty critics, Kleck takes off the gloves in a criticism
of his critics in the Fall 1999 issue of "Journal on Firearms And
Public Policy," edited by Dave Kopel and published quarterly by Second
Amendment Foundation.

It's unusual to see a scholarly article containing charges such as
"outright dishonesty," "imaginary straw men," "creative editing," and
"recklessly impugned the integrity."

Kleck particularly hammers, point by point, critic David Hemenway, an
alleged public health scholar with close ties to Handgun Control Inc.
But he also thumps a more significant figure in the gun debate, Dr.
Philip Cook.

Cook for years uncritically cited the Justice Department's National
Crime Victimization Survey, which claims there are only about 80,000
instances of defensive gun use per year. But the widely quoted NCVS
does not directly ask respondents whether they have used--or
brandished--a gun in self defense.

Kleck says that Cook quit citing NCVS after the 1994 Police Foundation
survey (which Cook helped design) found that cases of defensive gun
use total in the millions each year.

The Police Foundation survey caused Cook to change his mind--not that
defensive gun use is common, but that surveys aren't reliable.

Kleck writes: "The Police Foundation survey, while based on a sample
only half (as large) ... strongly confirmed the results of the
Kleck-Gertz (National Defense Survey) yielding estimates, where
comparable, of annual DGU frequency that were within sampling error."

As Kleck points out: "It has now been confirmed by at least 16 surveys
.... that defensive use of firearms by crime victims is common in the
United States, probably substantially more common than criminal uses
of guns by offenders. ... with the best estimate being 2.5 million,
compared to about a half a million incidents in which offenders used
guns to commit a crime."

It is critical that the anti-gun crowd debunk research such that by
Kleck and Lott, for while they do not directly impact against laws
such as "background checks" (as Wright's work does), proving the
usefulness of guns for defense strikes a mortal blow against the
anti-gunners' obvious objective: banning private ownership of
firearms.

Tim May May 22nd 04 08:02 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

In article m, Carl
Nisarel wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Tim May wrote:

No, you're going off on a lame ad hom attack.

Ad hominem.

Those who use spelling flames in arguments had best not
make any errors other than trivial typos.

It's neither an error nor a typo, I simply used a commonly used
shorthand version.

You misspell a common expression to save 4 letters?

I take it you're of the generation that says "my bad" and "lates!"

Illiteracy is a terrible thing.

--Tim May

Gunner May 22nd 04 10:22 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

wrote:

Getting his ass kicked yet again, Gunner wrote:

Your attempt at deflection is noted and found amusing.

It's funny to watch you get smacked around so easily, Mark.

Now, when are you going to actually address Kleck's comment
where he notes that the Lott/Mustard study is not valid?

I have.

Not.

Really? Your continued denial is indicative of mental illness or
obsession at the least.. seek help.

Prof. John Lott, now of Yale Law School,

Lott is no longer with the "Yale Law School"

Do you ever manage to get things up-to-date? All you do is
post opinion pieces from other people?

Can you think for yourself?

Sure. Can you?

As Kleck points out: "It has now been confirmed by at least
16 surveys ... that defensive use of firearms by crime
victims is common in the United States, probably
substantially more common than criminal uses of guns by
offenders. ... with the best estimate being 2.5 million,
compared to about a half a million incidents in which
offenders used guns to commit a crime."

That same "best estimate" of 2.5 million fails in tests of
predictive validity. Kleck's participants were not telling
the truth.

So Cattle..what are the true numbers? Of course Id like some
citations to go with it.

Gunner May 22nd 04 10:47 PM

Nice write up about LEDs

On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:40:13 GMT, Carl Nisarel
wrote:

Attempting Eddaic Poetry for the first time, Gunner wrote:

A sad situation that only backs up the unarmed (largely)
civilians being ripe targets for the picking.

"There is little or no need for a gun for self-protection
because there's so little risk of crime. People don't believe
it, but it's true. You just can't convince most Americans
they're not at serious risk." -Gary Kleck

Most are not. Most folks are not at risk from house fires, floods or
vehicular accidents. So its smart not to have insurance, or wear
their seatbelts?

Have smoke detectors in your hovel? Wear your seatbelts?
Wassamatter..you paranoid or somethin, boy?