Tod Engine Foundation

Default Cutting Torch Question

Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator end
of the hose or at the torch end?

Thanks

Rick

Gary Brady

Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator end
of the hose or at the torch end?

Mine came with the backflow preventers at the torch.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

SteveB

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator

end
of the hose or at the torch end?

Mine came with the backflow preventers at the torch.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

I would put them at the regulator. If a hose caught on fire, and the
preventers are out on the torch, there's nothing to keep it from going all
the way back to the tank. Think about it.

Steve

Richard Ferguson

My new Victor torch set came with the backflow preventers already
mounted on the torch.

A Google search located an Oregon government safety site that said the
backflow preventers must be installed at the torch.

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/osha/ interps/2001/flashback31.pdf

This Oregon government site says the same thing, on page 12.

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/osha/ pdf/rules/division_4/div4q.pdf

The California site below says they can be located in either place, but
the document is refering to a system in which acetylene is piped around
the shop, not where bottles are used, which I assume is your case.

http://mancomm.com/calosha/updates/General%20Industry/ pages167-168.pdf

Based on my review, I believe that mounting the backflow preventers at
the torch is standard industry practice, unless someone can produce an
official document that says otherwise. Obviously you could buy an extra
set and install them at both ends, but that is probably overkill, given
that backflow preventers were not even standard practice until
relatively recently.

My philosophy is to follow standard industry practice, I generally
figure that standard industry practice is reasonably safe. Personal
opinions are all over the map, you can find someone to support any
position, including that the earth is flat. Industry practice is
usually more of a consensus of experts, a safer bet.

Richard

Tod Engine Foundation wrote:
Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator end
of the hose or at the torch end?

Thanks

Rick

Mawdeeb

They should be at the torch end. Backflow preventers are not fire
suppression arresters. They prevent the higher pressure oxygen gas from
flowing into the acetylene hose should the torch tip become fouled or
blocked. Mostly when your torch is set up for cutting. If the oxygen
gets into the acetylene hose or regulator then fire is the least of
your worries. BOOM BOOM time.

Same reason you should also de-pressurize your hoses when your done for
the day. Acetylene can migrate from the acetylene hose into the oxygen
hose over a long period of time.

Play safe and be happy

Jim Vrzal

SteveB wrote:
"Gary Brady" wrote in message

Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator

end

of the hose or at the torch end?

Mine came with the backflow preventers at the torch.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

I would put them at the regulator. If a hose caught on fire, and the
preventers are out on the torch, there's nothing to keep it from going all
the way back to the tank. Think about it.

Steve

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Agree. I have backflow preventers at the torch, and fire suppression
arresters at the regulator.

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.
Gary Coffman

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:54:19 GMT, "Tod Engine Foundation" wrote:
Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator end
of the hose or at the torch end?

Torch end. Putting them at the tank end does no good. Their purpose is to prevent
mixing of gases in the hoses, so combustion can't occur in the hoses. The very
high pressures in the tanks prevent backflow through the regulators, so backflow
preventers don't do anything for you if placed at the tank end of the hoses.

Gary

Winston

Tod Engine Foundation wrote:
Nobody Knows?

"Tod Engine Foundation" wrote in message

Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator

end

of the hose or at the torch end?

Thanks

Rick

I put mine just downstream of the regulators, before the hoses.
The hoses haven't burned up yet, so I guess that was right!

--Winston

Gary Coffman

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:18:40 -0700, Winston wrote:
Tod Engine Foundation wrote:
Nobody Knows?

"Tod Engine Foundation" wrote in message

Where do I put the backflow preventer on my torch set? At the regulator

end

of the hose or at the torch end?

Thanks

Rick

I put mine just downstream of the regulators, before the hoses.
The hoses haven't burned up yet, so I guess that was right!

It isn't. The only place mixed gases can be forced into a hose
is at the torch end of the hose. If the tip becomes blocked, the
higher pressure oxygen can flow through the torch mixing chamber
and back into the lower pressure acetylene hose, forming a
combustible mixture there. The check valves *at the torch*
prevent this. Check valves at the regulators don't do anything
useful.

Gary

The Monkeys are alright! (was : cutting a kitchen worktop) John Biddiscombe UK diy 7 March 23rd 04 11:40 PM
welding, cutting jim Metalworking 5 January 31st 04 02:31 AM
Freight Harbor question Kori Metalworking 6 August 9th 03 01:18 AM