Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelly Jones

Default Face Sheild

Hi
I wear a full plactic face sheild in addition to my safety glasses when
operating the mill or lathe (and it's saved me more than once), but I hate
the way it fogs up all the time. Anyone ever solved that problem?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default Face Shield

In article ,
"Kelly Jones" wrote:

Hi
I wear a full plactic face sheild in addition to my safety glasses when
operating the mill or lathe (and it's saved me more than once), but I hate
the way it fogs up all the time. Anyone ever solved that problem?

What outdoor equipment operators use is a wire mesh shield. I have one
that's intended for use with a chainsaw (comes with built-in hearing
protectors), although I use it with a string trimmer at present. Works
well, no problem seeing through it.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MetalHead

Kelly Jones wrote:
Hi
I wear a full plactic face sheild in addition to my safety glasses when
operating the mill or lathe (and it's saved me more than once), but I hate
the way it fogs up all the time. Anyone ever solved that problem?

Check out a motorcycle shop. I used to buy some stuff sold by Bell
(helmet vendor) that worked well on full face helmet shields. I think
Bell is ancient history, but somebody must be selling an anti-fog spray
for that market.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Shopdog

OK,heres the poop.

Clean the lens well, dry it, then take some good ole dishwashing soap.
Apply a thin layer on the lens, then just polish it dry with a soft cloth.
It should not fog up until the layer of soap is gone.

Works for me, with my glasses

Searcher

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article ,

MetalHead wrote:

Check out a motorcycle shop. I used to buy some stuff sold by Bell
(helmet vendor) that worked well on full face helmet shields. I think
Bell is ancient history, but somebody must be selling an anti-fog spray
for that market.

Better yet, a Fog City fog shield. I own one, it works for all-weather
motorcycling, so it should work in the milder atmosphere of the shop. I
have various things I use on my mask for scuba, but for a full-face
shield, fog city is the ticket, no doubt. It sticks to the inside of
your existing shield.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MetalHead

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,

MetalHead wrote:

Check out a motorcycle shop. I used to buy some stuff sold by Bell
(helmet vendor) that worked well on full face helmet shields. I think
Bell is ancient history, but somebody must be selling an anti-fog spray
for that market.

Better yet, a Fog City fog shield. I own one, it works for all-weather
motorcycling, so it should work in the milder atmosphere of the shop. I
have various things I use on my mask for scuba, but for a full-face
shield, fog city is the ticket, no doubt. It sticks to the inside of
your existing shield.

I always used plain old spit for my scuba mask and it worked fine. I
don't think I would do that to my shop face shield.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Green

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Mon, 29 May 2006 00:10:29 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

OK,heres the poop.

Clean the lens well, dry it, then take some good ole dishwashing soap.
Apply a thin layer on the lens, then just polish it dry with a soft cloth.
It should not fog up until the layer of soap is gone.

Works for me, with my glasses

Searcher

This is what a hockey playing acquaintance used to do with his full
face shield, used to drive the landlady wild until he took my
suggestion and bought her a gallon jug of the stuff.

I can confirm that dishwashing soap works well. I rode motorcycles for
19 years (in all weather, including snow) when I lived in the UK and
always coated the inside of my visor with dish soap. You will never fog
up again and it costs a fraction of what you would pay for 'magic'
liquids that are on sale.

To apply, first wash your shield in hot, soapy, water to ensure it is
abdsolutely cean and then pat it dry with a clean towel.

Next, use a soft cloth or very soft paper towel (you do not want to
scratch the visor/face shield) and add just 1-2 drops of dish soap to it
(no more than a couple of drops, you DO NOT need much!)

Start at the top edge and wipe the inside face of the visor/face shield
from one side to the other in a single pass with the area of cloth into
which the dish soap has soaked. Move down the visor/face shield and come
back with another single pass. Repeat the above until the entire depth
of the visor/face shield has been coated.

Fold the cloth/paper towel so that you have a clean, non-soapy, area to
work with and starting at the top wipe off the excess soap using the
same long passes. You do not need a thick coating of soap to stop it
misting up, a film a few microns thick is all that is required.

To test the film breathe on the visor/face shield,if your coating worked
correctly it should not fog up!

HTH

--
Larry Green
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Shopdog" wrote:

Clean the lens well, dry it, then take some good ole dishwashing soap.
Apply a thin layer on the lens, then just polish it dry with a soft cloth.
It should not fog up until the layer of soap is gone.

I got to try this and with the current humidity levels, it might be
soon. Dishwashing soap contains surfactantants that break up the
beading of moisture and spread the drops into a sheet that is easier
to see through, is large enough to evaporate, or maybe justs obeys
gravity and drips off.

Wes S
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

MetalHead wrote:

I always used plain old spit for my scuba mask and it worked fine. I
don't think I would do that to my shop face shield.

Bob

I seem to remember something about rubbing a cut potato on the glass. I
may have dreamed it though.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby

Kelly Jones wrote:

Hi
I wear a full plactic face sheild in addition to my safety glasses when
operating the mill or lathe (and it's saved me more than once), but I hate
the way it fogs up all the time. Anyone ever solved that problem?

Also see the January thread about a welding helmet fan, beginning at
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...18b527f2dd6df2
A welding helmet fan brings in fresh air to prevent fumes collecting
inside the helmet, but I think it would also drive moist air out and
keep the face shield [note i before e] closer to room temp, for less
condensation.
-jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelly Jones

"James Waldby" wrote in message
Kelly Jones wrote:

Hi
I wear a full plactic face sheild in addition to my safety glasses when
operating the mill or lathe (and it's saved me more than once), but I
hate
the way it fogs up all the time. Anyone ever solved that problem?

Also see the January thread about a welding helmet fan, beginning at
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...18b527f2dd6df2
A welding helmet fan brings in fresh air to prevent fumes collecting
inside the helmet, but I think it would also drive moist air out and
keep the face shield [note i before e] closer to room temp, for less
condensation.
-jiw

Thanks. Don't you hate those cheap import spell checkers?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelly Jones

"Larry Green" wrote in message
Gerald Miller wrote:
[...]

Thaqnks Larry. I'll try it this afternnon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Randy Replogle wrote:

MetalHead wrote:

I seem to remember something about rubbing a cut potato on the glass.
I may have dreamed it though.
Randy

I've read that too, in a motorcycle magazine.

Fred