DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Re-line a copper kettle? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/163442-re-line-copper-kettle.html)

[email protected] May 27th 06 06:53 PM

Re-line a copper kettle?

Does anyone know of somewhere that can re-line copper kettles? I have a
newly bought one I've used to make tea for years and it was orignially
lined with a silver-looking lining to insulate the water from the
copper - the lining is not wearing away and it smells metallic so I
wanted to get it re-lined.

PK

Gary Wooding May 27th 06 07:44 PM

Re-line a copper kettle?

wrote:
Does anyone know of somewhere that can re-line copper kettles? I have a
newly bought one I've used to make tea for years and it was orignially
lined with a silver-looking lining to insulate the water from the
copper - the lining is not wearing away and it smells metallic so I
wanted to get it re-lined.

PK

The traditional lining was pure tin. You flux the inside and warm the
kettle up to the melting point of tin (melting point 232C or 450F) which
you then spread with a cloth. If you can't get your hands in then you
just slosh it around.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

9x20lathe May 28th 06 07:44 PM

Re-line a copper kettle?

Yep, that is exactly the method used at the annual "Repair Days" in
October at the National Ornamential Metal Museum in Memphes, TN, USA.
On the web at http://www.metalmuseum.org, click on "schedule for 2006".
I'm sure they'd be happy to do it for you.

Hope this helps.

JohnL