Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Ferguson

Default Identifying three phase vs. single phase motor?

Someone is offering a Quincy compressor at a reasonable price, but he is
not sure if it is single phase or three phase. I need single phase. The
tag on the motor does not seem to help (he emailed me a close-up photo).
It is dual voltage, 208-230/460. The problem with the tag is that it
has a bunch of numbers, but they are not labeled as to what the numbers
are. :-(

Could I take an ohmmeter and figure it out? I would guess that a three
phase motor would have equal resistance on all three combinations of the
phases, while a single phase with neutral would have different
resistance, probably low between the two hot leads and higher between
hot and neutral. Green should be open relative to all the other wires,
no matter the phase count.

Is there another solution?

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals

Compressor repower: single phase vs. RPC RoyJ Metalworking 4 August 9th 05 11:32 PM
Phase Converters JB Metalworking 58 July 28th 05 03:44 PM
Convert 3 phase Wadkin with single phase motor? oddjobboy Woodworking 15 October 15th 04 10:10 PM
phase converter questions Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 119 September 2nd 04 10:12 PM
5 hp 3 phase motor to a 3/4 hp single phase..? Paul Metalworking 33 March 23rd 04 07:23 PM