Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default scriber for a height gage?

"xray" wrote in message

Several years back I picked up a cheap vernier height gage. Probably
just about like this Enco one:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...17&PARTPG=INLM
K3

Not too long ago, I knocked it off the bench and now one corner of the
carbide-tipped chisel scriber is broken. Still works ok, but makes it a
little harder to scribe a mark in one direction.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy just a replacement scriber
somewhere? Oh, it should also be for less money than a whole
replacement gage to be helpful.

Replacement scribers are available, although I don't know of a source. They
install upside down, on the bottom of the scriber that is integral with the
height gage. Starrett shipped their height gages with the extra scriber, to
preserve the one that is built in. By mounting as described, the scribed
line is in sync with the vernier scale. The only negative is you lose the
ability to scribe lines below the thickness of the attached scriber, which
is typically held in place by a restraint that goes around the attached
scriber and the built in one, and held in place with a knurled thumbscrew.
Didn't look at your link, so maybe you're already talking about such a
scriber setup already, dunno.

Harold