Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Franklin Newton

Default EDM

Anyone do EDM dry (using only air as a coolant?) I have a detail that cannot
have coolant inside and the EDM must breakthru.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anyone do EDM dry (using only air as a coolant?) I have a detail that

cannot
have coolant inside and the EDM must breakthru.
Thanks

AFAIK, there isn't a dry EDM.

Are you looking for a wire, or sinker?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--I've seen tap busters work this way; it leaves a horrible finish.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I'll have the roast duck
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : with the mango salsa...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Anyone do EDM dry (using only air as a coolant?) I have a detail that

cannot
have coolant inside and the EDM must breakthru.
Thanks

As Ed Haas said, tap busters (primitive EDMs) often use air as the
dielectric, but they're spitting, rough-burning contraptions that both arc
and spark. They can leave quite a mess.

If you're just looking for something nonconductive, oil is used for
dielectric in almost all sinker EDMs, and in some wire EDMs. If you can't
have any liquid, you might want to look at another process, such as laser
cutting or something else.

--
Ed Huntress